Niesmann + Bischoff Flair 800iL (1 Viewer)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi all

I am picking the brains of other N+B owners on here about their experiences with average MPG for these beasts!
The chassis is a 170 HP 3 litre Iveco Daily of 2006 vintage.

There's a few coming up now at affordable prices and we quite fancy a bit of the RWD, fully winterised, monster water tanked, roomily lounged and massively garaged utopia they provide!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
From an owners review..

"At 18mpg I guess we can’t grumble with something approaching 6000kgs. "

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Quite probably our next van of choice, have discussed ownership with Martin (Funflair) not sure of his exact model / age but Bev has garage envy by the bucket full, so probably similar

We have a Hymer Mercedes RWD about 5 tons and we both (us and Martin) get similar mpg's 18-22, with occasional trips slightly higher

Ours is auto as well which might take a couple of mpg, but I wouldn't have a manual by choice (y)

watching with interest for N + B replies

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi all

I am picking the brains of other N+B owners on here about their experiences with average MPG for these beasts!
The chassis is a 170 HP 3 litre Iveco Daily of 2006 vintage.

There's a few coming up now at affordable prices and we quite fancy a bit of the RWD, fully winterised, monster water tanked, roomily lounged and massively garaged utopia they provide!
hi jon & shell,we have just sold our RV and are taking delivery of a N & B Arto 88E Feb 2015 so really looking forward to that:) the Flair is a superb motorhome,luxury indeed(y) but the Arto suited our needs better.good luck with your hunt.i will let you know how we get on(y)
brian and jo

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We have a 5.2 ton 175bhp Iveco Hobby and get the same 18 - 22mpg and as its a 3.5m tall C class the biggest factor is the headwind followed by speed, love the Iveco base and the only weakness I have heard comments on is the auto box, I have the manual.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Had a look at a Flair today.

What a pile of crap! The quality of the van itself was fantastic. The trouble is it stank of smoke, there was toilet chemical and god knows what else all over the compartment beneath the cassette and in the garage due to someone not fitting the SOG pipe correctly. The windows were badly scratched, the floor was covered in adhesive and cheap bathroom/kitchen carpet, the mattresses were stained, the horrors went on and on!
Not worth 45k of anyones cash for an 8 year old van in our opinion.
There are others to look at, Travelworld have one a year newer and a little dearer. Hopefully they will bring it to Lincoln.

Thanks for the advice so far, but it has to be a RWD chassis, so that discounts an Arto.

Our budget is about 45k and we will need dealer facilities in light of the fact we are too young to draw on our pension pots!!!!

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Had a look at a Flair today.

What a pile of crap! The quality of the van itself was fantastic. The trouble is it stank of smoke, there was toilet chemical and god knows what else all over the compartment beneath the cassette and in the garage due to someone not fitting the SOG pipe correctly. The windows were badly scratched, the floor was covered in adhesive and cheap bathroom/kitchen carpet, the mattresses were stained, the horrors went on and on!
Not worth 45k of anyones cash for an 8 year old van in our opinion.
There are others to look at, Travelworld have one a year newer and a little dearer. Hopefully they will bring it to Lincoln.

Thanks for the advice so far, but it has to be a RWD chassis, so that discounts an Arto.

Our budget is about 45k and we will need dealer facilities in light of the fact we are too young to draw on our pension pots!!!!
im sure the right one will turn up jon(y) you cant believe that people can mistreat their motorhomes like they do.anyway onward and upward,continue the hunt:cool:
brian and jo

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Might be a queue for it at Lincoln

How do you fancy my Hymer? not sure we can do the facilities though :D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi jonandshell

I posted last night from the Rotterdam ferry but it looks like it did not get through.

DavidG58 has answered for me regarding the MPG and he is pretty spot on, If I try really hard and keep the speed down to not more than 50 then I might get it to 23 and a bit but in the grand scheme you are not going to save much. I cruise about 55 now as even with 6 speed box they are fairly low geared with 52 being about 2250rpm.

Just weighed ours on the way home with full holiday trim but not full of water, though the garage was pretty full of French plonk for David G58 and a bit for us as well, the front axle is 1880kg and the rear is 3720kg total 5600kg that is 20kg lighter on the front even though the total is up over 500kg from when we got it (3 solar panels, jacks, EFOY and garage full of booze).

If you want to have a good look over ours at Lincoln you are more than welcome (but its not for sale).

The one that Travelworld have on their web site was at Malvern and showed as sold after the show but seems to have fallen through, have a look and see what you think.

Martin

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Cheers for the advice and offer Martin.

We might bring a beer round!

Our Transit really only returns about 23-24 mpg, so it looks like owning such a beast wouldn't cost much more. I reckon a big factor in MH fuel consumption is drag caused by the frontal area. Ours being a tall overcab van will have similar front profile to the Flair.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ive just happenend across this a few months after the event.

I want to make the point that fuel consumption is irrelevant for most motorhomers simply because they do so few miles. 5000 a year is high for most people ( you can prove this by dividing the mileage by the age of secondhand motorhomes)

Using fuel at £1.30/litre
500o miles at 25mpg is £1000
5000 miles at 20mpg is £1200

This is a huge difference in MPG but it costs another £200.

The longevity of the tyres makes a bigger difference but no-one asks that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....
What is the fuel tank size and approx range for most with a Flair 8000?
I know it will vary but roughly so I can think about routes etc?

Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....
ahh - is that the standard size?

I have a 40L custom tank on my BMW bike so doesn't seem large :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back