Nice soft EHU cable recommendations. (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
I have 2 x 20m cables, which I plug together if we are a long way from hook up, one coils easily and is soft but has no brand on it. The other is impossibly stiff, especially in Winter. Could you lot recommend me a nice soft cable with I can coil easily instead of fighting with coils, twists etc.?

Thanks

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Love to know the answer, we have a short one that is brilliant and a long one more akin to a coiled spring.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Ours is soft and pliable in the warm and hard and more rigid in the winter!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I bought some very flexible cable last year from my LOCAL DIY shop. It's blue and the jobsworth wardens at the CC sites have nagged me a few times about the colour . According to them it's recommended that orange is used to stand out more. Last time they commented I suggested I was getting better electric with blue cable . The warden just walked away to pick on some other mug.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Are you coiling it correctly? I watched a video that someone had posted ages ago now, The fella doing it , yes he succeeded, but what an effort.
When coiling, 1st lay the Cable out straight, if cable is wet, covered in grass, or just plain dirty, hold a cloth around the cable.
Left handed? hold the end of the cable in your left hand, R/H? the opposite
Holding cable end tight in one hand and loose in the other, spread you arms, grip the loose end and forming a loop bring the cable to meet the other hand, transfer looped cable to the other hand, slide hand out along cable till both arms are stretched again, repeat as before, and so on until cable is fully coiled. It helps if you can get a "swinging" motion on the coils end, this aids you in pulling the cable through the loose hand.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I bought some very flexible cable last year from my LOCAL DIY shop. It's blue and the jobsworth wardens at the CC sites have nagged me a few times about the colour . According to them it's recommended that orange is used to stand out more. Last time they commented I suggested I was getting better electric with blue cable . The warden just walked away to pick on some other mug.
Haha .what pillock employed them as wardens never heard that orange was the recommended colour i have always used the blue cable because it is designed to be more flexible in the colder weather .god save us from jobsworths .

syldale

Free Member
Dec 14, 2009
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
model
Exp
years
"Arctic" cable will sort your problem i.e.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Flex_Artic_Yellow_or_Blue/index.html

It comes in blue or yellow and is designed for very cold temps and it does flex easily, not cheap but quality.

There are other suppliers on ebay.

Good hunting.
hi just bought the blue arctic 2 weeks ago superb for this time of the year rapped up nice as if it was summer bought the drum & bag as well

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Haha .what pillock employed them as wardens never heard that orange was the recommended colour i have always used the blue cable because it is designed to be more flexible in the colder weather .god save us from jobsworths .

Orange has always been the "recommended" colour but you can use what ever colour cable you wish as long as it meets the required Euro standard CEE17

Arctic Cable fits the standard as long as it has the correct plug and socket on it

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
my vote goes to 'artic' cable as well. The norm. would be 230v blue & 110v yellow but what ever you have will be great. just have the right connectors on the ends.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Orange has always been the "recommended" colour but you can use what ever colour cable you wish as long as it meets the required Euro standard CEE17

Arctic Cable fits the standard as long as it has the correct plug and socket on it
Must be a caravan club recommendation then as camping and caravan club don't seem to have made a similar recommended colour that i can see anywhere in their rules etc.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
The object being 'visibility' surely commonsense would indicate that any colour except green or mud/sand/gravel-colour would do the job? o_O

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The object being 'visibility' surely commonsense would indicate that any colour except green or mud/sand/gravel-colour would do the job? o_O
Of course we could really go over the top and have led flashing led strips fitted .hahahaha. Bet that would not meet approval with jobsworths .

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I have posted this before,, and being left handed I find coiling cable puts in a kink so I use "elephant ears" as instructed when sailing. Hold just behind plug/socket in one hand and hold other arm back with cable,,lay cable over hand forward, then backward, continue until cable ends and you should have loops in front and behind hand. I use small ball bungee at hand position and lonnger ball bungee near loop ends. When using just pull and you will never get a tangled cable.

OP
OP
adonisito
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Ok brilliant. Arctic cable it is, it comes in 3 widths, 1.5mm, 2.5mm and 4mm. Which is best ? I'm thinking 2.5mm.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, 2.5 mm² is the correct size for a 25 metre EHU cable.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I've got the lot!!! A 25m Lemon one,it used to be Orange but the Sun bleached it. A 10m Spanish White one, a 15m UK Blue one and a 25m French Black one.

They've all arrived for one reason or another as I needed them and they all carry the correct rated marks.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Arctic cable is the way to go.

As for coiling it up; 40+ years in theatre coiling lighting & sound cables and what @rangitira says is correct. Never wrap it tightly around your elbow because it introduces false loops that will lead to kinks. Loosely coiling the cable will allow it to form natural loops all wing it to lay flat.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Spend over 20 years in the building trade you soon learn how to gather you're cables up :)

Just as an addition, with my site leads I also wrap the lose end around the large loop in the middle then pull a loop of the lose end through the large loop and put the lose end through said loop.

This keeps the cable all together so it can't unravel :) any one who has sheeted lorries will know what I'm trying to explain as its how most used to sort their ropes out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back