Nice people on this forum (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As most know I collect and restore old Singer sewing machines, have quite a collection now.. last count was about 18 .. all different models, from late 19th century .. treadles, hand cranks, toy, electric, 1/2 size etc ... but sadly I've run out of space to display .. and having them in the shed or loft would defeat the purpose.. :Sad:

I also use them, as does Jan and Charlotte, so they are not just ornaments .. can't beat an old Singer for stitch quality .. and so handy when you want to make stuff for the van ..

The real reason for posting wasn't to share my blog ... :roflmto: but to thank the two Funsters, Graham and Larry who just by coincidence both PMed me today offering parts and a full machine...

You do meet some really nice people on this forum.. many thanks to them and others who have contacted me in the past for advice and or to offer machines.. truly grateful.

Jim ..

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There is one (electric) in my unit from a grandparent. I accepted it thinking I was going to reupholster the spitfire....i will get round to it one day! lol!

I guess many people have one hanging around somewhere!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
When are you going to make tents?

One of my old scoutleaders repaired our groups tents using a handcranked Singer. He replaced torn panels and latterly made dining shelters and even made patrol tents like the Blacks Nijer and Storm Haven. He did do a few 'naughties' by copying some tents. If your group is into canoe camping, Bill Mason's books Song of the Paddle and Path of the Paddle are interesting Song has some plans for tents. Just make sure your needles are strong enough! Although now the Nylon and 'Superfabric' pod tents seem to find favour you could always make boat/dinghy covers for the group

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sewing machines? Can't move for sewing machines here :Smile:

Jill has an overlocker and coverlocker in addition to her main embroidery &c &c machine - plus the Singer treadle job that her great grandmother bought second hand in 1906 (and which Jim helped us identify the age of, thanks Jim).

To be fair, though, she did sell her older embroidery machine after she bought the new one last year :Smile:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We've got one donkey's years old out in the Faroes, at least wifey thinks it's a Singer, she says it's been there all her lifetime and she's got her bus pass! :Cool:

Have to check up when we go out next. :Smile:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I've got a treadle, but one with a long shuttle - would love to get it sorted and usable again, but not done anything about it.

I'm in the market for a hand crank Singer in working condition if anyone has one? My modern sewing machine is not up to the heavy work that those old Singer's were capable of. I learnt to sew on a hand crank when I was 13. Did all my kids clothes too!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've got a treadle, but one with a long shuttle - would love to get it sorted and usable again, but not done anything about it.

I'm in the market for a hand crank Singer in working condition if anyone has one? My modern sewing machine is not up to the heavy work that those old Singer's were capable of. I learnt to sew on a hand crank when I was 13. Did all my kids clothes too!

Hi

I have few old Singer hand cranks with long shuttles.. not much use for every day work.. they sell quite cheap ..

Look for a model 201k .. probably the best machine Singer ever made.. but they do hold their price.. I have a beauty with the electric motor.. it came with the original receipt , everything still in grease paper.. just the way it left the factory .. apparently it was bought as a wedding present in 1952 and never or seldom used.. will sew anything you throw at it, also has a drop feed dogs and reverse ... found it on ebay.

some photos of it https://plus.google.com/photos/110095592205434628312/albums/5734950979644925649

here is an example of a 201k hand crank.. not the best condition, but the price reflects that .. Link Removed

look on ebay for something close to home and if you want I'll have a look at it before you bid/buy

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's something I have been tempted to get a few times since going fulltiming.
I can warrant the expense easily enough but storage is a problem as I am full to the gunnels now. Maybe when I do my next self build on a bigger base van...

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It's something I have been tempted to get a few times since going fulltiming.
I can warrant the expense easily enough but storage is a problem as I am full to the gunnels now. Maybe when I do my next self build on a bigger base van...

fully understand your space constraint ..

I bought a 3/4 size Singer when we were full time.. lovely machine , and not too heavy ... did lots of work with around the RV .. if interested, the model is a 99K ... buy either hand or electric.. easily converted either way..

the best for you would be a 221k or a 222K..

this is a half size machine.. very light, it was the only machine Singer made from cast aluminium, .. comes in a tidy little black carrying box.. about 12" x 12" , but .. they are highly sought after, only made in Scotland at the Kilbowie plant .. and fetch silly money... if interested let me know and I'll look for one for you .. or have a look on ebay ..

Pics of Chaz using the 222k .. gives you a better idea of the size.. the machine head is about 10" wide.. https://plus.google.com/photos/110095592205434628312/albums/5739018306868023025?authkey=CLbPtrqM---OvAE

this is my 222k

DSC_7767.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
funny how you forget things over the years my mum was a machinist both indoor and out door seeing those singers brought it all back the hum of the motors and the sound as they stiched for a few years i used to leave school and go to the basement workshop it was under a drapers shop and i had to sit on the stairs for an hour till she finished
they used to get be turning pockets and belts in the right way as most stuff is stiched inside out
two basement rooms had 4 machines an overlocker a steam press and a large cutting table bundles of coats were every where the whole place smelt of gas, health and safety wasnt an issue then she had an industrial singer at home as well
then the girl i married her father had started life as a sewing machine mechanic and her mum was an outdoor machinest so she had a singer as well think we still have all three singers around the family
#
sorry to ramble but it all came flooding back

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back