NFU too expensive ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by scotjimland, Jun 3, 2012.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Been a loyal customer with NFU for many years with both cars and motorhomes, can't fault them, great customer service and never any charges when you change address or vehicle.. but at a cost..

The renewal quote for my Honda CRV this year was £448 so I decided to get some other quotes using Moneysupermarket.com .. and was amazed how many were much cheaper for the exact same policy with the same benefits, protected NCD, breakdown cover, legal fees, hire car, etc ..

Hastings Direct .. paid on-line and cost £222.. that's half the cost of NFU .. with a £zero excess for damage, £65 for glass, ... my NFU policy had £150 excess, glass £50..

So I'm afraid it is a reluctant bye-bye to NFU .. I can't afford to subsidise their large offices anymore..

NFU's Head office in Stratford upon Avon
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. welsh winger

welsh winger Read Only Funster

Just dumped them as well, car and van insurance went up by over £100, In the past I would ring and ask why, now I go else where then tell them, if we all did this to insurance companies we may get sensible renewals, instead of them just trying it on.

Nick

• Like Like x 2
  3. wasp

wasp Funster

Funny that Jim we went with Hastings Direct after our insurers decided to hike the premium by a hundred quid we got the Avensis insured for £228 :thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

NFU

Just renewing my policy with NFU (after a little negotiation)......Joint policy for the M/h & Ford Ka toad £440:thumb: Only up about £10 on last year including a new SP30:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. MikeD

MikeD Funster

The insurance industry

Something that is not new in the Insurance industry - New business is harder to get than a renewal

Something else that is not new in the industry – They don’t do loyalty

Always move or at least get other quotes every year:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Same here.

Last year I questioned their £40 hike, and was told that all premiums were rising. This year they tried to give me the same reasons for their £60 hike. "No way", says I, especially when they won't cover MH breakdown for vehicles over 3500Kgs, and so got the same level of cover from Comfort for £245.

Regards,

Jock.

7. Terry

Terry Funster

Paid my renewal a couple of weeks back and tried all over the place but could not get within 80 quid of renew price which was with Aviva through Autonet £316 for L200 double cab pick up -Aviva direct were nearly 100 quid dearer :Doh: NFU would not quote in my area :Sad::BigGrin:
    terry

8. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

I wont touch NFU anymore.they are taking the rise with their premiums.
    Saga seem to be trying hard at the moment .

barry

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i thought saga was good value once, but not on renewal and they still bombard me with their spam. certainly wont get my money again

10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Our car insurance is with Admiral.
    We received our renewal and it had risen by £10 from last year.

Upon comparing Meerkats, we found , for an identical policy, Admiral were cheaper than our renewal by £90!:Eeek:
    They were also the cheapest on the site.
    We proceeded with the online quote, noted our quote reference number and got on the phone to confront Admiral.

The reply was; "No problem, if you have a cheaper quotation reference, we'll do it at that price"!

So, £90 saved for a little research!:thumb:

As mentioned earlier, loyalty costs you money! Keep 'em on their toes!:Wink:

11. reader

reader Funster

Expensive for the NFU is a bit of an understatement - not motorhome related. I was getting prices for a club insurance that cost £497 last year, the NFU said they were interested and quoted £1100 needless to say they didnt get the business

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We renewed our MH insurance with Highway (via Frank Pickles) last month as it was comparable to last year.

I changed to the AA for car insurance last year having used confused.com and paid about £221. Rang today and got a renewal quote about the same amount despite having taken off business use which I had last year. Luckily I had used confused.com again and AA was second lowest at £204 (Privilege was 50p cheaper). By the time I'd discussed discounts I got the AA down to just under £179. It pays to haggle :Smile: