NFU too expensive ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Been a loyal customer with NFU for many years with both cars and motorhomes, can't fault them, great customer service and never any charges when you change address or vehicle.. but at a cost..

The renewal quote for my Honda CRV this year was £448 so I decided to get some other quotes using Moneysupermarket.com .. and was amazed how many were much cheaper for the exact same policy with the same benefits, protected NCD, breakdown cover, legal fees, hire car, etc ..

Hastings Direct .. paid on-line and cost £222.. that's half the cost of NFU .. with a £zero excess for damage, £65 for glass, ... my NFU policy had £150 excess, glass £50..

So I'm afraid it is a reluctant bye-bye to NFU .. I can't afford to subsidise their large offices anymore..

NFU's Head office in Stratford upon Avon
Link Removed

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Just dumped them as well, car and van insurance went up by over £100, In the past I would ring and ask why, now I go else where then tell them, if we all did this to insurance companies we may get sensible renewals, instead of them just trying it on.

Nick

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Funny that Jim we went with Hastings Direct after our insurers decided to hike the premium by a hundred quid we got the Avensis insured for £228 :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
NFU

Just renewing my policy with NFU (after a little negotiation)......Joint policy for the M/h & Ford Ka toad £440:thumb: Only up about £10 on last year including a new SP30::bigsmile:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The insurance industry

Something that is not new in the Insurance industry - New business is harder to get than a renewal

Something else that is not new in the industry – They don’t do loyalty

Always move or at least get other quotes every year:Smile:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just dumped them as well,
Same here.

Last year I questioned their £40 hike, and was told that all premiums were rising. This year they tried to give me the same reasons for their £60 hike. "No way", says I, especially when they won't cover MH breakdown for vehicles over 3500Kgs, and so got the same level of cover from Comfort for £245.

Regards,

Jock.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Paid my renewal a couple of weeks back and tried all over the place but could not get within 80 quid of renew price which was with Aviva through Autonet £316 for L200 double cab pick up -Aviva direct were nearly 100 quid dearer :Doh: NFU would not quote in my area :Sad:::bigsmile:
terry

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I wont touch NFU anymore.they are taking the rise with their premiums.
Saga seem to be trying hard at the moment .

barry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i thought saga was good value once, but not on renewal and they still bombard me with their spam. certainly wont get my money again

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our car insurance is with Admiral.
We received our renewal and it had risen by £10 from last year.

Upon comparing Meerkats, we found , for an identical policy, Admiral were cheaper than our renewal by £90!:Eeek:
They were also the cheapest on the site.
We proceeded with the online quote, noted our quote reference number and got on the phone to confront Admiral.

The reply was; "No problem, if you have a cheaper quotation reference, we'll do it at that price"!

So, £90 saved for a little research!:thumb:

As mentioned earlier, loyalty costs you money! Keep 'em on their toes!:winky:

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Expensive for the NFU is a bit of an understatement - not motorhome related. I was getting prices for a club insurance that cost £497 last year, the NFU said they were interested and quoted £1100 needless to say they didnt get the business

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We renewed our MH insurance with Highway (via Frank Pickles) last month as it was comparable to last year.

I changed to the AA for car insurance last year having used confused.com and paid about £221. Rang today and got a renewal quote about the same amount despite having taken off business use which I had last year. Luckily I had used confused.com again and AA was second lowest at £204 (Privilege was 50p cheaper). By the time I'd discussed discounts I got the AA down to just under £179. It pays to haggle :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back