NEXT YEAR'S HOLIDAY

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Big bus man, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Big bus man

Big bus man

Like many my travelling options are restricted to school holidays, we were considering Ireland for a week in May but reading up on it and comments on here it is probably not the best place to take 9 and 11 year olds as it is mostly scenery and driving. I will tackle France one day but with only one week to play with we don't know if we would get far, again it could be all driving. Have you got any ideas where I could go and keep the little ones happy. France; Belgium; northern Spain?? it needs to be a good mix of scenery and things for the kids to see and do. I know England has it all but there is less sense of adventure, plus we have plenty of short breaks that fill our UK appetite.

2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

drive down to pottiers and take them to futurescope or paris for dysney? If its beaches you want they strech from ostende in belgium to dieppe in france virtually unbroken easy to do for a week

3. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

If you're based in Crawley (Sussex), France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Luxembourg are all closer than Ireland !

To keep the kids happy www.duinrell.nl is a sure fire winner and a mere four hours from Calais.
    You've got entertainments, swimming, woodland, it's close to the beach, great cycling, great public transport if you wanted day trips.

4. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

Boulogne is worth a visit - there is an Aire just outside town and a really good aquarium and sea life centre.

5. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

North Wales,its got it all seaside ,mountains,castles.you don't need to waste your hard earned money on a ferry when you have all this in our beautiful country..

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mel

Mel Funster

We are in Breskens NL at the moment
    DroomPark Schoneveld
    Many safe cycle routes,swimming pool indoors.
    No theam park but plenty of children here enjoying themselves.

Mel

7. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

Le littoral Yelloh site in the Vendee you can drive down in a day comfortable nice site and cheap out of season, google it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

We only spent a couple of night here - my kids are very keen to go back, so it must be good !
    Puy-du-Fou also nearby and I'd love to go again !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Big bus man

Big bus man

Thank's all for your input I will look into your suggestions. As for Khizzie, love the country (Wales) from the industrial south to the picturesque west up to the dramatic north and all the surprises in-between, so much in such a small country, problem is we have done that, both by tugger and hired motorhome. We will go back, been to the snowdon railway twice and let down both times by the weather but one day I will get up there. Absolutely love the drive through the Elan valley problem is wifey likes to see new places each trip, Norfolk is one we have never done but that is not all that far away and Cornwall just too busy during school holidays. Just done Scotland so that leaves countries near to us. I would also love to do the Dutch bulb fields, if the holidays fall at the right time perhaps that could be my option. Anyway, thanks again people of funsterland :cheers:

• Like Like x 1
  10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

The D-Day beaches in Normandy are easy to do in a week. About 3 1/2 hours from Calais to Ouistreham, then short hops when you move on. Don't know about campsites but there are plenty of aires.

There's plenty to see, and if you go at the right time of year nice beaches although saying that we went in February and the weather was fantastic.

11. rosalan

rosalan Funster

It depends on the ages of your children and how far they can travel before the "Are we there yet?" creeps into their conversation. A short trip to France and Wissant (8 miles from Calais) could be a pleasant surprise for all but the west coast of France has much to offer with its beaches and cycle tracks and the chance of warmer (drier) weather. Alan

12. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We have spent two May half term holidays in Brittany.

Great weather the first time, lousy the next.

Nice place to visit though and lovely beaches.

Next year we have a couple of inset days around that half term holiday and might bomb it down to the Costa Brava for 6 nights or so.

Trouble is with all the driving you need a holiday when you get home.

13. orridge

orridge Funster

Last half-term we went back to the Somme valley, short drive from Calais. Plenty of campsites, Aires etc around Le Crotoy or St Valery.

Great for cycling, trains etc

14. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

Wissant is nice but don't know if it would hold kids attention very long if they couldn't get in the sea, not a lot for kids to do.

15. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  16. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

You don't have to go far into France..
    We travel through every summer with grandkids aged 8 and 10 on route for a month in Spain. We have a couple of regular stops and free overnight Aires, next to play parks, one is a lake where they swim. If we had more time and their bikes we could easily do a week and keep them occupied.
    Normandy ww2 beaches / museums may appeal. The 10 year old has asked me several times about it.

17. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Next year's holiday? We haven't had this years yet! :)

D.

• Like Like x 1