next silly question.. windows

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by herecomesbod, Mar 28, 2012.

1. herecomesbod

herecomesbod Read Only Funster

ok.. so far so good.. getting more knowledge by the minute !!!
    the sliding plastic windows are stiff and stick. as with most things on this MH, due to lack of use more then anything!!
    a friend mentioned using some 'something 85' spray?? but i cant remember what it was called or what it is!!!

also is there anything i can use on the windows to stop them being so brittle?
    thanks again... i am luuurving this forum !!! x

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you could try a little silicon spray on the window runners...DONT use WD40....it contains a solvent and will attack the plastic window.

nothing you can do about the brittleness...sunlight and age will have taken a toll.

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

sorry, but your mate is wrong, dont use gt85 on the windows, it will damage them. Best thing is to strip them down and thoroughly clean them with soapy water. you may find the rubbers stick to the acrylic and will need to gently peel them free. once the windows are clean and dry put a bit of talc on the rubbers to stop them sticking

Sorry but nothing can be done about brittle acrylic, the sun has done its worst and it cant be undone

4. the stig

the stig Funster

what about old fashioned bees wax applied on the runners? we bought a product that takes out all those ice rink lines that show up lovely in the sunlight. doesn't help the brittle problem i know, but at least they will look nice but brittle! :Rofl1:

5. Terry

Terry Funster

All the above are good but you can also try LIP BALM :Eek!: it will lubricate and not harm the windows also use it on the rubber seals :thumb: again lubricates and stops them perishing
    terry

6. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Me too silicone spray from LIDL.....or just try a candle...just rub the candle along the track lightly

7. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Not sure but I think lip balm has petroleum Jelly, Vaseline in it, yes I would think very good and easy, Vaseline lubricates many things I have read:Wink: we always used it on electrical contacts in large isolating boxes:thumb:

8. Terry

Terry Funster

Believe me it works :thumb: I spent a lot of yrs in double glazing and along with silicon spray lip balm was highly recommended for gaskets
    terry