Newly retired and seriously thinking of a fulltime MH adventure (1 Viewer)

2oldnslow

Free Member
Jul 16, 2012
germany
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Hi there as the title a complete newbie so any and all advice thankfully received

Colin

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
welcome to the forum and you will not regrette getting involved in motorhoming at whatever level you choose:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I'm retired but not fulltiming. There are however copious threads on here on the subject so have a look around.

Also :welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
make a list of what you really need on your RV and what you would like
then you have a starting pint on the layout and fixtures
then make sure you able to drive it legally HGV is a must for many that are claimed to be car license (big NO NO )

remember it will always be a compromise on what you want and what is out there in the second hand market

Too many people buy a motorhome on credit over four /five years
they manage to make the repayments and put some fuel in for a few trips pay insurance and road tax but have not got the where with all to pay for the full maintenance of the outfit
so on the secondhand market are many that are leaking at the seams or ready to do so

so Buy a good damp meter use it in every corner locker and wall joint both top and bottom
if it shows any damp at all WALK AWAY do not think ho i can get it cheaper now you will be buying a real load of work and expense. just the first signs on the inside can mean a full wall strip out

if you do buy make sure you have at least £2000.00 put aside for repair and maintenance over the next three years
If you have to ask how many miles per gallon with this big beast do ?
ask your self should you be looking at the beast in the first place
yes people do do motor home living on the cheap and it is their beloved motor home that suffers from it

so steer clear of any van that has not had its rood to side trims removed and resealed with in the past Five years

if not damp found then request a full side reseal as part of any deal from a dealer or budget it in with the final sale price you pay .

many newer models do not have side joints so this problem is not an issue
just be aware damp will get in when it can get in
if you are going to wild camp a big rig with triple slide outs may not be the best idea to try and use or one slide for that matter
most are set so the engine will not start when slide is extended
not a good thing when wild camping too easy to disable your rig in a lonely spot and have time to do as they wish.

think about what you want to do within your RV and where you will take it
for me small was the better option as i do not have HGV
so even i have found it a mine field to navigate the world of RV and towing a trailer so do your home work and ask when unsure

most of all enjoy the freedom and lifestyle it brings to you

happy motoring

Ian F:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Plenty of smaller motohomes around that are suitable for fulltiming in without talking gas guzzling RV's.

We are having a ball in our Rapido whilst we very slowly look for our new residence (if ever)

Do spend a lot of time deciding on which layout of van suits you best though almost all are a compromise but some can be real annoying after a very short while.

The other point worthy of note you both need to be of similar mind regarding fulltiming one must not force the other.

Good luck with your decision

Alan and Lynda

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Fulltiming has always sounded a fantastic idea to us however the only word of caution I would give is dont sell your bricks and mortar if you have them, because if you get to the stage through age or illness that you are unable to drive at least you have something to fall back on

I wish you every happiness and fun in your motorhoming experiences.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Colin and welcome to Motorhome Fun, I see you are based in Germany so are really well placed for looking at Hymers etc. quite a few are exported into the UK from Germany so I think you have a head start.

Type in fulltiming into the search facility at the top of the page and you should get lots of information, and any specific ask away :welcomefunster:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am fulltiming in a small panel van. Sold house. No backup plan and no savings. I have broken all the rules and still love it....

There will be a lot of people who will advise against it or give advice that although good may not apply to you. It is something you need to think through yourselves. Just don't think it through tooo much as you will never go.

My 1st bit of advice would be to get the layout/size right... Get this wrong and you are going to be miserable within a couple of weeks.

Imagine that you are have to stay in it 24/7 for 2 months due to bad weather. Could you live in that space. For me the biggest priorities now are Fixed bed and a lounge area. Sitting in a dinette layout for a couple of hours is fine but if you have to do it week in week out it does get uncomfortable. You need somewhere you can lay back put your feet up to watch tv/read a book etc etc.

Anyway there is loads of advice you can get on here. It may be worth reading some fulltimers blogs as well as these tend to give a huge variety of information and advice (sometimes conflicting).

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
Fulltiming

yup.... Grommet is right. I did it a year ago and am loving it. Good useable shower is another priority and plenty 12v power to enable free camping.

Best advice I ever had was, and this from a lady ..... 'Don't f***k about, just do it!'

She was spot on.

good luck

Steve

OP
OP

2oldnslow

Free Member
Jul 16, 2012
germany
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
yup.... Grommet is right. I did it a year ago and am loving it. Good useable shower is another priority and plenty 12v power to enable free camping.

Best advice I ever had was, and this from a lady ..... 'Don't f***k about, just do it!'

She was spot on.

good luck

Steve

Well heading back to the UK shortly to "regroup and plan" then come hell or high water LOL I'll be off in the spring

I'm 63 but blessed with great health and thanks to circa 10k miles a year on my various push bikes pretty fit. "Single again" I've only myself to please which I suppose in terms of my MH needs simplifies things a bit. As I'll be taking 2 bikes with me ( I couldn't possibly manage with less LOL) I suppose something with a "garage" would be a must other than that I'll lurk on the forum read all the posts and take it from there. So thanks for all the advice/good wishes

best regards

Colin

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As I'll be taking 2 bikes with me ( I couldn't possibly manage with less LOL) I suppose something with a "garage" would be a must other than that I'll lurk on the forum read all the posts and take it from there.

Or a bike rack on the back if you want to maximise storage space within the van for other things.

Why not pay the sub and then you won't have to just 'lurk'? I've been fulltiming for over a year now and the advice and good company you get on this forum is priceless. :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well heading back to the UK shortly to "regroup and plan" then come hell or high water LOL I'll be off in the spring

I'm 63 but blessed with great health and thanks to circa 10k miles a year on my various push bikes pretty fit. "Single again" I've only myself to please which I suppose in terms of my MH needs simplifies things a bit. As I'll be taking 2 bikes with me ( I couldn't possibly manage with less LOL) I suppose something with a "garage" would be a must other than that I'll lurk on the forum read all the posts and take it from there. So thanks for all the advice/good wishes

best regards

Colin

Hi Colin

also done a few years full timing .. but now back in a house..

re your bikes, I had two expensive mountain bikes stolen abroad, both times good quality security chains were cut .. I suspect yours are not Halfords specials.. so would advise on a garage .. not only for security, but they get into a hell of a mess on a rack from road dirt..

good luck

OP
OP

2oldnslow

Free Member
Jul 16, 2012
germany
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Exactly Jim, depending on which bikes I decide to take with me I'd guess circa 5500 GBP's of carbon fibre loveliness so not something I'd want sitting around in plain view. So as I said for me own peace of mind a garage is to me at least a must. Still it gives me a starting point and I'm really starting to get enthused by the whole research planning phase :) so many thanks to you all for your input

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back