newgale west wales

Discussion in 'Wales' started by mr bond, Mar 31, 2010.

1. mr bond

mr bond

just wondering if anyone has wild camped in newgale west wales :thumb::thumb::thumb: and where you parked and if it was ok to stay there:Smile::Smile::Smile:

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

We 'camped' there many many years ago, the site which is across from the beach only allows tents and camper vans.

Newgale Camping Site
    Wood Farm
    Newgale
    Haverfordwest
    Pembrokeshire
    SA62 6AR

Tel: 01437 710253
    Pitches: 80
    Units: Tents ; Camper vans
    Open: 30th March - 30th Sept 2007

reviews here

• Like Like x 1
  3. Macytia

Macytia Read Only Funster

Supposed to be heading their this weekend, You can park in the pub car park on the beach, the end car park but we usually stay on a Farm campsite, pass pub on right and above you at top of the cliff. Great views, relaxed park where you like, access to the coast path, accept dogs and only £6 a night, Luke the farmer calls round for a chat and his money every evening:Smile: Sriously thinking of changing plans and heading to Scotland for the snow instead:Doh:

4. evans88

evans88 Read Only Funster

Its freezing cold and windy there even in summer. The place certainly lives up to its name. There is a large car park there that is suitable for wildcamping. See this link here which confirms it is suitable:

http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/wales.htm#pem

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Beg to differ but the information on my web site confirms that "wild" camping is not possible.
    Once again, the selfish few spoil things for everyone else.

Graham

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Quite agree Graham

but I'm coming to the conclusion that the 'few' are becoming the 'many'

free campers are having an adverse effect our hobby.. this is NOT having a go at truly wild camping but at the free loaders who think it's their right to camp anywhere with impunity..

7. Mandaxxx

Mandaxxx Read Only Funster

Having lived near to Newgale a few years ago I wouldn't stop on the 'beach' park or by the pub, you would be a lot better off up the hill on the Left-farm on the right.
    Fantastic views and you can get out of the wind!
    Visit Solva It's lovely but tiny. If you visit St Davids say hello to my mum-she lives there.

8. evans88

evans88 Read Only Funster

I have stayed there and when I read the following sentence assumed it was still OK.

"Newgale Beach. The main car-park and, to some extent the centre car-park (favoured because you get a view of the beach) is most definitely motor-home friendly......"

However, I failed miserably to read it all. Apologies.

9. mr bond

mr bond

parking

ive spoken to a few peopole and they say they have stayed there wildly with no problems:thumb::thumb:

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That might well be the case but it probably means that there have simply not been sufficient resources for the council to enforce the regulations. As Jim says, "free campers are having an adverse effect our hobby".

The more people break the rules then the more councils will be forced to act - and that, as we have already seen in some places, could lead to total bans on motorhomes, not just overnight.

Graham

11. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Not strictly wild camping but this week found a CC CL between Newgate & Solva at St Elvis Farm for £3.50p per night not quite wild camping but very near to it.

12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

for those who are obviously opposed to wilding I would like to state, I take nothing but photographs and leave nowt but footprints. I have wildcamped all my life. The day I have to stop I will sell the van. As to being a freeloader. It is not free, it cost an arm and a leg in tax, insurance, MOT's, maintenance and fuel. Plus we spend in the local economy, often visiting local attractions as well. The government have their pound of flesh from me as does everyone else. I am a freeman of this fair land so there. Rant over.

• Like Like x 3
  13. madrigalmusic

madrigalmusic Read Only Funster

Luke the farmer

-----------
    Hi Macytia
    Sounds ideal - Have you got any more details for Luke the farmer?
    Thanks

14. madrigalmusic

madrigalmusic Read Only Funster

Farm at Newgale

Hi Manda
    Have you got any further details of the farm ?
    Thanks

15. meggie

meggie Funster

hi, if you camp on the site up the hill the farmer will come to you about 5pm every night,the site by the pub do take motorhome,i think you have to pay £5 a person,happy camping:thumb::thumb:

16. gpz

gpz Funster

just back from wales just a note for any funsters going to conwyn car park just out off town we parked up in the motorhome side all the big spaces were taken so we parked in space back off mohome touching fence and front about 6" out of front of the box came back and we had got a ticket what a set off to$$$ers just another way to get money several germans with car and caravans got ticket so just be carefull

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That will happen all over the country, whatever vehicle one drives, if it isn't parked in accordance with the parking order. Car parks have finite sizes and can only fit so many vehicles in. They are also laid out so that the vehicles they are designed for can manoeuvre safely. It is one thing for a vehicle to use two boxes in line (where allowed) but when a vehicle sticks out from the front of a box, or is parked outside of box markings, it reduces the manoeuvring space and could cause danger to other users.

18. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Personally if I were heading for Newgale I wouldn't begrudge them a tenner a night to use the campsite behind the beach, which we have a number of times. The one up the hill may get a nice view but it's not exactly convenient for the beach, the pub or the coast path.

If it's an important matter of principle that you don't pay anybody anything there's a couple of wide set back lay-bys along the last couple of miles of the Haverfordwest road before you get to the coast. Not sure what restrictions (if any) exist.

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Just a heads up.
    This thread is nearly 5 years old. Only resurrected by the complaint about Conwy parking officers doing their job and ticketing people who ignore the parking order :)

20. Crusty jack

Crusty jack Funster

No dogs allowed on campsite opposite beach, which also floods most wi ters and is thus boggy most summers. Toby