Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

Help needed please.

We are looking to purchase our first motorhome, having looked at 2,3 manufacturers we are on the verge of ordering a frankia 740-50 plus. Before we do , does anyone have any advice etc before we purchase.

Are frankia any good, are there better manufacturers models for similar price etc etc.

To be honest it's a mine field and with the unit listing at a lot of money we need a bit help.

Thanks.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi welcome,

dont know much about that manufacturer but the golden advice is " layout" , layout and layout!

you can have the best built van ever and if the layout is wrong for you it will be wasted time and money..

so make sure of the type of layout you want as well as the build / style of the van..:thumb:

good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Welcome to the mayhem.

If you have never been motorhoming before perhaps it would be an idea to hire one to see if you enjoy it? Try to get the make and model you are thinking of buying that way you can check out of there are features that really get on your wick and you couldn't live with long term. Hiring may be expensive but can prevent you from wasting more money.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi see you live in Peterborough, on 24th April the biggest Motorhome show of the year is held there, you will see motorhomes of every shape size and price.

The question about the Frankia yes they are a class van, top end spec, but I would still check out lay outs pay loads etc before committing and if you can wait for the show I would, dealers from all over the country will be there and thousands of ordinary motorhomes any of which if you are sitting cogitating in a van would only be to pleased to talk to you about motorhomes.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you have never had one before, don't go out and buy a brand new one unless you have money to burn, take your time and have a look at some good used ones that have had the faults put right, and if it's not right for you , you won't lose a fortune changing it:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Blanco

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks all,

Last year we did hire for a week and loved it, we have for many years been camping and this year we decided that as the kids will be at uni we would enjoy ourselves more.

I agree with you on the layout , we have been looking for about 6 months. Maybe we should wait for the Peterborough show and speak to actual owners instead of salesmen.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Frankia do some beautiful motorhomes. There's definitely some in their range I'd love to have.

There's some great advice above that is well worth following. People on here have been there, done that, and got a mucky t-shirt to prove it.

OP
OP
B

Blanco

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Frankia do some beautiful motorhomes. There's definitely some in their range I'd love to have.

There's some great advice above that is well worth following. People on here have been there, done that, and got a mucky t-shirt to prove it.

I agree , being new to this I think we have an awful lot of mistakes to make and things to learn but already I am picking up some invaluable advice on here!!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. I think its all been said but to reiterate don't spend all of your hard earned cash on a new van. What you think you want does not always work out in practice, most people go through arend 3 vans before they find the size and layout that suits them, do that with new vans and you will lose a lot of money that could otherwise be paying for trips to the sun. The motorhome buyers guide WILL save you money, it WILL save you more than the cost of the book. So get it bought and devour every word then think again about your priorities. Think how and where you are going to use the van, Winter? Summer, all year round, on site wilding, all require different specifications no point in paying for something you don't need. Also think of where you are going to keep it what size restrictions that might impose. The Frankia is a class van it is as far as I know winterised and that to me is most important as I use a van more in the winter than the summer. Good luck with the hunt.

OP
OP
B

Blanco

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi and welcome to the fun. I think its all been said but to reiterate don't spend all of your hard earned cash on a new van. What you think you want does not always work out in practice, most people go through arend 3 vans before they find the size and layout that suits them, do that with new vans and you will lose a lot of money that could otherwise be paying for trips to the sun. The motorhome buyers guide WILL save you money, it WILL save you more than the cost of the book. So get it bought and devour every word then think again about your priorities. Think how and where you are going to use the van, Winter? Summer, all year round, on site wilding, all require different specifications no point in paying for something you don't need. Also think of where you are going to keep it what size restrictions that might impose. The Frankia is a class van it is as far as I know winterised and that to me is most important as I use a van more in the winter than the summer. Good luck with the hunt.
Thanks wildman, where can I get the buyers guide is it a magazine ?

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi and Welcome to the Fun site from Valencia, Spain. :welcomefunster:

You can get the guide from this very site:

Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks wildman, where can I get the buyers guide is it a magazine ?
motorhome buyers guide can be purchased here
http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/motorhome-buyers-guide/

one very valuable and free piece of advice i can offer that i would tell anyone new and looking to buy brand new. select your preferred manufacturer and track down a used van you can actually get in and inspect. remember in a few months usage, your brand new pride and joy will be that worn. if its held up well and you still consider it the van of choice go buy new:thumb:

Phil.1300

Free Member
Jan 12, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Frankia are very well built motorhomes. I have got an A 840 BD . As wildman say's you would be better off buying second hand to start with. This is my third motorhome , the first was a Kon-tiki the next was a Burstner and now the best one (and a keeper) is the Frankia .If you go for a Frankia you will not be disapointed . What ever you go for just enjoy and have fun

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Frankia are very well built motorhomes. I have got an A 840 BD . As wildman say's you would be better off buying second hand to start with. This is my third motorhome , the first was a Kon-tiki the next was a Burstner and now the best one (and a keeper) is the Frankia .If you go for a Frankia you will not be disapointed . What ever you go for just enjoy and have fun

This thread is over 2yrs old Phil wonder what they did buy

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif