Newbies

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Blanco, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Blanco

Blanco Read Only Funster

Hi all,

Help needed please.

We are looking to purchase our first motorhome, having looked at 2,3 manufacturers we are on the verge of ordering a frankia 740-50 plus. Before we do , does anyone have any advice etc before we purchase.

Are frankia any good, are there better manufacturers models for similar price etc etc.

To be honest it's a mine field and with the unit listing at a lot of money we need a bit help.

Thanks.

2. f6c

f6c Funster

Welcome

Welcome aboard:Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Phill D

Phill D

hi welcome,

dont know much about that manufacturer but the golden advice is " layout" , layout and layout!

you can have the best built van ever and if the layout is wrong for you it will be wasted time and money..

so make sure of the type of layout you want as well as the build / style of the van..:thumb:

good luck

• Like Like x 2
  4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Welcome to the mayhem.

If you have never been motorhoming before perhaps it would be an idea to hire one to see if you enjoy it? Try to get the make and model you are thinking of buying that way you can check out of there are features that really get on your wick and you couldn't live with long term. Hiring may be expensive but can prevent you from wasting more money.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

:welcome:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

This could be a Godsend for you here.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi see you live in Peterborough, on 24th April the biggest Motorhome show of the year is held there, you will see motorhomes of every shape size and price.

The question about the Frankia yes they are a class van, top end spec, but I would still check out lay outs pay loads etc before committing and if you can wait for the show I would, dealers from all over the country will be there and thousands of ordinary motorhomes any of which if you are sitting cogitating in a van would only be to pleased to talk to you about motorhomes.

• Like Like x 3
  8. chaser

chaser Funster

If you have never had one before, don't go out and buy a brand new one unless you have money to burn, take your time and have a look at some good used ones that have had the faults put right, and if it's not right for you , you won't lose a fortune changing it:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Blanco

Blanco Read Only Funster

Thanks all,

Last year we did hire for a week and loved it, we have for many years been camping and this year we decided that as the kids will be at uni we would enjoy ourselves more.

I agree with you on the layout , we have been looking for about 6 months. Maybe we should wait for the Peterborough show and speak to actual owners instead of salesmen.

• Like Like x 1
  10. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

Frankia do some beautiful motorhomes. There's definitely some in their range I'd love to have.

There's some great advice above that is well worth following. People on here have been there, done that, and got a mucky t-shirt to prove it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Blanco

Blanco Read Only Funster

I agree , being new to this I think we have an awful lot of mistakes to make and things to learn but already I am picking up some invaluable advice on here!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the fun. I think its all been said but to reiterate don't spend all of your hard earned cash on a new van. What you think you want does not always work out in practice, most people go through arend 3 vans before they find the size and layout that suits them, do that with new vans and you will lose a lot of money that could otherwise be paying for trips to the sun. The motorhome buyers guide WILL save you money, it WILL save you more than the cost of the book. So get it bought and devour every word then think again about your priorities. Think how and where you are going to use the van, Winter? Summer, all year round, on site wilding, all require different specifications no point in paying for something you don't need. Also think of where you are going to keep it what size restrictions that might impose. The Frankia is a class van it is as far as I know winterised and that to me is most important as I use a van more in the winter than the summer. Good luck with the hunt.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Blanco

Blanco Read Only Funster

Thanks wildman, where can I get the buyers guide is it a magazine ?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Momo

Momo Funster

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

motorhome buyers guide can be purchased here
    http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/motorhome-buyers-guide/

one very valuable and free piece of advice i can offer that i would tell anyone new and looking to buy brand new. select your preferred manufacturer and track down a used van you can actually get in and inspect. remember in a few months usage, your brand new pride and joy will be that worn. if its held up well and you still consider it the van of choice go buy new:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Phil.1300

Phil.1300 Funster

Frankia are very well built motorhomes. I have got an A 840 BD . As wildman say's you would be better off buying second hand to start with. This is my third motorhome , the first was a Kon-tiki the next was a Burstner and now the best one (and a keeper) is the Frankia .If you go for a Frankia you will not be disapointed . What ever you go for just enjoy and have fun

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

This thread is over 2yrs old Phil wonder what they did buy

• Like Like x 1
  18. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

19. Phil.1300

Phil.1300 Funster

Hi, i didn't look at the date , as you say i wonder what they got