Aug 9, 2015
Hampshire. England
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 624
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all,

At the age of 68 I have just bought my first MH. It is sat on the drive at the moment begging to be taken away but commitments are keeping us firmly at home for the moment. My wife (67) and I have on short trip planned as a 'shakedown' to see what else we need and then we are planning to cross the channel in search of the elusive sun! I have been reading through many of the posts and already learnt a great deal. One of my biggest worries would be running out of gas in Europe, I can fit 2 x 13kg propane cylinders in the van and hopefully that will be sufficient for our first venture abroad. Later I will look at the Gasit/Gaslow conversion but having paid out a good whack for the van funds are not flowing in abundance for the conversion, which I have seen at about ÂŁ800+ incl fitting. We live in Hampshire & if anyone knows a firm that converts in this area that doesn't require me to re-mortgage I would be grateful for the information.
If my wife can't find me she just walks outside and she can find me re-stowing equipment to make the best use of space. I am not sure who is more anxious to be motoring, the van or me!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Welcome Mike and Mrs Mike, watch ebay and the like for gas low systems, they are supposedly easy to fit, not that I have tried, but took dealer less than half hour to change from old van to one we have now. So many variables, is your water and van heating gas only or dual fuel, will you use campsites and hook up, do you have a solar panel?
We took first trip in January 2010, it was cold, wet, miserable and great fun.
Have a great time in your van.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome... only by using the mh will you find out what you need ........... and what you DON'T ..... and the best place to store things.

Happy travels. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
hi.gif
Mike, and a warm welcome. Our first trip abroad was in September 2010 when we were in Northern France for just under 2 weeks. We had 2 x 11kg gas bottles with us and only needed the one. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
The Silvers
Aug 9, 2015
Hampshire. England
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 624
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the advice guys! Looking forward to out first trip abroad, no plans but looking to head south as I hate the cold! 2 x 13 kg bottles should keep us going, thanks for that info Rob & Val, when the gas gets low we will head back to the UK.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and Welcome to FUN and as Joy said get out and use your van, that way you will soon find out just how much gas you use and have re fillable fitted is as much as about convenience as any else.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Welcome to Fun! We have one 11kg Gaslow bottle as only have space for one but easy & cheap to get refilled so really don't need the extra cost of two unless you plan to wildcamp in a remote area for long periods. It is ideal as you just top up the gas when needed rather than run until empty. There are websites& apps with details of fuel stations with LPG pumps for UK & Europe. VanBitz in Taunton fitted ours, can camp there & Funster discount too (y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to Fun :welc:

Join us or log in to post a reply.