LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Giffaumont Champaubert Aire sounds really good and would probably be good for the 2nd night. Pont a Mousson which I found on campercontact, Looks great but is maybe a little further east than I was loosely planning on. I cannot find Chambresis on google. Is it known as something else?
Ah ha! Got it wrong. It's not Chambresis but Le Cateau Cambresis. You might just find it now I've give you the correct name.
Screenshot_20170311-161427.png

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi @taralabradog ,
When I mentioned Giffaumont Champaubert aire ,there's several around the lac du Der ,We used the free one at gps 48.569602, 4.701071 with services basic & is way out in the sticks , but very nice , the main aire is 48.553271, 4.767815 but is chargeable for parking & water ,sorry can't remember how much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi @taralabradog ,
When I mentioned Giffaumont Champaubert aire ,there's several around the lac du Der ,We used the free one at gps 48.569602, 4.701071 with services basic & is way out in the sticks , but very nice , the main aire is 48.553271, 4.767815 but is chargeable for parking & water ,sorry can't remember how much.
I think last year it was €6.00 and water was €2.00 (might have been €1.00) for so many minutes. When we were there, a Moho owner (in a Concorde) carrying a 5ltr container from the toilets. He said well I carry 1/2 ton of water and I'm not paying.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I have also found Giffaumont Champaubert Aire on campercontact. I am waiting for the new all The aires book to come out or should I just get last years at a discount price. I am sure it wont have changed that much.

We are still using the 3rd edition ( think it's 2011) and it's still doing the job, mind you we run it alongside the French book-'Aires de Services Camping-Car' you can get this in a lot of the Supermarche in France.
I would think you'd be fine with last years All the Aires book.
We've found that even with the 2 books you still find Aires that aren't in them!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Don't listen to him !!!! :)

I agree, "not Baked Beans as we know" but French Haricot Beans, as found in tins of decent Cassoulet, are far far superior to the wishy washy things (HP etc) that are sold in the UK as an excuse for baked beans.

Didn't know I had changed sex!!!!
There's nothing wrong with the Haricot Beans in tomato sauce it's just that they are not Baked Beans and who said the HP ones anyway?!

Jan 26, 2013
france
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
four years
Shippers,
see from the above that you have been very well served with info for your trip.
we live down in south-west france in the gers region(just north of Tarbes) about 60 clics north of the Pair-of-knees and have travelled fairly extensively around the country.
just a couple of ideas:
visit the local tourist info offices, especially in the small towns, as they have all the gen and are only two happy to put you on the right road and, equally, off the wrong one.
baked beans/tea bags/sauces/pickles etc are good additions to your larder if you feel like doing so. we have a local lady who travels the markets selling that sort of stuff. baked beans- 1.65 euro per can: patak curry sauces - 3.50 euro each: you can feel a pattern emerging here!
the supermarkets do blue top milk which is the semi-cream which we use when we wet the tea.
on the baguette front, the white ones only last half a dog watch before they go rock hard. we buy the "pain cereals", which are a brown bread variety as they last longer.
hope you have a good one, if you are down our way let us know and we could meet up and we could pull up a bollard.

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Another ex-matelot here!

If you head down the west coast and want to take a break from driving for a while, somewhere like Ile d'Oleron (just south of La Rochelle) is quite nice: http://www.vanvoyage.co.uk/2015/07/chilled-heat.html On our first motorhome trip to France in 2012 (only two weeks) we were too ambitious and spent far too much time on the road. We've learnt from that and if we find a place we like the look of, we're happy to put down roots for a few days.
I'd say just follow your nose, don't plan too much and enjoy the trip. Before you know it you'll be planning your next one!

Paul
(only 39 working days to retirement and - yes - I am counting them down!)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hi folks

We are not long retired and are looking to do our first overseas trip in the moho. We are thinking of going around Easter time for 6 weeks or so. Couple of questions.

Will most of the sites and Aires be open from Easter?

What is the best time and day to book the tunnel (we have a dog)?

Is France normally busy at that time of year?

Would it be better to go before or after Easter?

Ken & Cherry
My tips, never underestimate the capability of French N (non toll) roads to end you up in a local shopping centre or just end......so allow plenty of time to get to your destination.

From May the French will have access to the DVLA database so watch your speed.

Lastly if you can take a spare passenger mirror or an emergency replacement system that's good, as never underestimate the capability of French white van man to remove said mirror!

French Maritime Alps are stunning and under touristed and a ride on the little yellow train is breathtaking.
Shorter trip I love is to the D day beaches in Normandy.

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Shippers,
see from the above that you have been very well served with info for your trip.
we live down in south-west france in the gers region(just north of Tarbes) about 60 clics north of the Pair-of-knees and have travelled fairly extensively around the country.
just a couple of ideas:
visit the local tourist info offices, especially in the small towns, as they have all the gen and are only two happy to put you on the right road and, equally, off the wrong one.
baked beans/tea bags/sauces/pickles etc are good additions to your larder if you feel like doing so. we have a local lady who travels the markets selling that sort of stuff. baked beans- 1.65 euro per can: patak curry sauces - 3.50 euro each: you can feel a pattern emerging here!
the supermarkets do blue top milk which is the semi-cream which we use when we wet the tea.
on the baguette front, the white ones only last half a dog watch before they go rock hard. we buy the "pain cereals", which are a brown bread variety as they last longer.
hope you have a good one, if you are down our way let us know and we could meet up and we could pull up a bollard
We are loosely planning to head towards the Dordogne region . It mostly depends on the weather but if we get down your way I will drop you a line. :cheers:
Another ex-matelot here!
What could possibly have given away clues as to my past incarnation in the senior service ?:beerchug:
(only 39 working days to retirement and - yes - I am counting them down!)
Enjoy :sun:
My tips, never underestimate the capability of French N (non toll) roads to end you up in a local shopping centre or just end......so allow plenty of time to get to your destination.
We are thinking of heading South quite quickly for the weather and then taking up to two months to meander around doing whatever. Bit of fishing maybe. Even tasting a drop of the local vino now and again and again and again (you get the idea)
Seriously though do you think we are doing too much by travelling Calais to Lac Du Der on the first day? (We have a lunchtime tunnel booked) We were thinking about using the toll road . What amount of tolls would we be expecting?

Thanks again everyone :dogthanks:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back