Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
One other thing that's not exactly necessary but extremely useful if intending to use the toll roads is to get yourself a sanef or similar toll tag .then you wont be struggling to find cash at the toll booths . For me , a solo motorhomer its the best gadget ever. Roy

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
With six weeks you could head south to the Dordogne where we found it warmer last April. Go a bit quicker than you plan and come back north slower as the weather improves. Last April was a bit cold and wet and we got fed up with it. Theres a municipal site at St Malo. A bit scruffy but an easy walk in to the town and you can get a bus to Mont St Michel which would probably be better than trying to park there at Easter.

We have had to sift through a hell of lot of info. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
I think we have made a few decisions now.

1 We will take heed and head south first and head back slowly.
2 We will probably go just before Easter.
3 We thought about taking the ferry but decided to do the tunnel.
4 I have already received my ATMB tag.
5 I have applied for my Critair certificate just in case we stray into a zone.
6 We will try to use a vet a long way from Calais on the way back.
7 Tea bags and brown sauce have been bulk bought.
8 Acsi books obtained and camperstop app on the phone.

Once again thanks to everyone for all the help :D

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Forgot to say that we have already prepaid for 2 trips through Dartford

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Don't try to go through Rouen!

What is the problem with Rouen? I think I have heard something about a tunnel which makes motorhomes convertibles. I was looking to come back that way from the south.
We were thinking about going south through Arras, Reims and Troyes. I dont really want to get anywhere near Paris so how does that route sound?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
What is the problem with Rouen? I think I have heard something about a tunnel which makes motorhomes convertibles. I was looking to come back that way from the south.
We were thinking about going south through Arras, Reims and Troyes. I dont really want to get anywhere near Paris so how does that route sound?

Yep thats a good way to go , East of Paris
We used the canalside aire at Catillon sur Sambre then either giffaumont Champaubert or Geraudot , we've used both quite nice

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We have had to sift through a hell of lot of info. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
I think we have made a few decisions now.

1 We will take heed and head south first and head back slowly.
2 We will probably go just before Easter.
3 We thought about taking the ferry but decided to do the tunnel.
4 I have already received my ATMB tag.
5 I have applied for my Critair certificate just in case we stray into a zone.
6 We will try to use a vet a long way from Calais on the way back.
7 Tea bags and brown sauce have been bulk bought.
8 Acsi books obtained and camperstop app on the phone.

Once again thanks to everyone for all the help :D
Enjoy. !!!

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

There is NO problem with Rouen, '000s of wagons navigate around it everyday...

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
We have finally gone and booked the tunnel for the 12th April.

I have read on here that some folk use Canterbury P & R before going through the tunnel. Is it likely to get full and if it does where does anybody else use?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
The only problem with Rouen is it is a city, a busy city, if you are not experienced with French roads & road signs it can be difficult to navigate!
In the middle of main roads in a lot of French cities/towns when you get to some junctions they ease the load by sending you down an underpass so you miss the junction, fine in a car if you are going straight on, not so good in a van!
Road signs can take a bit of getting used to our straight on directions on a sign point upwards-straight on-French ones tend to look as tho they are sending you left!

This is a list I made up to remind myself of what to take:

Marmite
Tea bags French tea is weak & expensive.
Salad Cream is called 'Mayonnaise' it's not!
Mayonnaise as above
Brown sauce
Rice mixes the sort that take about 20 mins in a pan.
Baked Beans you can get Haricots in a tomato sauce but they are not Baked Beans as we know!
Pickled onions-can only get small cocktail ones
Chutney/pickles
You will find most big Supermarche have a small selection of English jars/cans etc. but they are very expensive!

Get out there and enjoy yourselves, it's a huge country, you'll see loads of Camping Cars, talk to everyone and get some warmth & sun.
Don't spend the night on a 'Aire de Repos' you find them on travel routes, fine for a day stop-lunch/leg stretch but don't stay overnight.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We have finally gone and booked the tunnel for the 12th April.

I have read on here that some folk use Canterbury P & R before going through the tunnel. Is it likely to get full and if it does where does anybody else use?
Canterbury P & R is great and the pub at the entrance serves wonderful food. Not sure if it gets full or not - it certainly wasn't when we were there last time but it was November. An alternative could be The Pilot Inn at Dungeness. Free parking in the car park if you eat at the pub. Could be your last chance for proper fish and chips for a while. :)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years

Baked Beans you can get Haricots in a tomato sauce but they are not Baked Beans as we know!

Don't listen to him !!!! :)

I agree, "not Baked Beans as we know" but French Haricot Beans, as found in tins of decent Cassoulet, are far far superior to the wishy washy things (HP etc) that are sold in the UK as an excuse for baked beans.

This has been debated here in depth a number of times, quite heated discussions :) , and although there is some, loyal but sad, support for the British varieties it's no contest - just try one tin of William Saurin and you will be converted for life.
(Just my opinion of course :) )

Don't worry too much about what to take, just leave enough payload to bring back new things you've discovered.

Have fun

Last edited:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Canterbury P&R doesn't usually get full but if it is there is now an overflow area which can be used.

You need to arrive before 8.30pm as the barrier is closed then; you can get out any time.

If you're later you can usually park up in the pub by the entrance if you buy a meal. Alternatively park on the approach road but you'll need to move early.

Denise

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Don't ever go to the Paris ring road - you'll be there all day. Avoid the Paris Peripherique like the plague.

You will find most big Supermarche have a small selection of English jars/cans etc. but they are very expensive!

Eat the local foods, its very good. One problem we do have though is buying proper fresh full fat milk for cereals. It's hard to find and not every shop has it. Either Lidl or Aldi has it, but not both. Most shops only have the long life shite!
Arrive in France with an empty tank, Diesel is much cheaper. Wine is cheap as chips. Try the Aires as soon as possible you will be pleasantly surprised. We only take Camper Contact on our sat nav and that always finds us a nearby Aire for the night that is also often a pleasant surprise.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Try the long-life 'shite' we did and it's ok as long as you get one you like, UK long-life seems to have an after taste but the one we use in France is the Envia, lait Demi-écrémé. I tastes creamy, I'm fussy on my milk but I will drink this, much easier than having to try & find fresh!
image.jpg

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Don't try to go through Rouen! Look for an Aire at La Mailleraye-sur-Seine, plot a route around Rouen and have a night or two at that Aire, watching the biiig boats!

Really struggled with Rouen, like many others until i found this ........................ just found it from a previous post and it worked, For your consideration

Found it ...........................

Without a satnav, byspassing Rouen caused no end of problems last year, ended up in the town centre and trying to get out was hassle beyond belief. I believe others have struggled aswell.

Copied from MMM last month.

Over many years we have not found a sensible alternative to bypass Rouen. The motorway becomes Dual carriageway at the city's edge and drops down through a tunnel. Exit this in the inside lane and in 1.5km take the 3rd exit signed to Vernon. The slip road ends in traffic lights - go in the centre lane to turn left across a dual carriageway. You should now be in the right hand lane for the next set of lights. Go straight on then bear right onto the D6015 signed for Vernon. In a little while the Seine appears on your right and you are clear of the City.

I would be really tempted to keep these instructions they were written by a driver for a driver and worked really well for us.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
And having read a couple of further posts ............................... I have no remedy for the way back. I tried doing the one above in reverse but the road was closed and we ended up going into Rouen and staying the night next to the seine (free)
Rouen is actually really really pretty and well worthy of a visit
The aire by the seine sounds good but local youths use it at night to perform wheelies in their cars and donuts on their bikes whilst smoking something herbal. I wont be staying there again !
Having slated the local youths they werent aggressive or anything they were just youths being youths and not to my liking but 6 million lux to their eyes helped with the translation of "Please go away" at 0200 hrs

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Wine is cheap as chips
Actually, wine is usually cheaper than chips. We've had lots of wine from €0.99 to €3.00 and very palatable. Course you can pay more. However, chips tend to be around €2.50 and not so brilliant as the wine.
L'eclerc supermarkets are also good. Most do diesel at better price, particularly than Road side fuel places

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Thanks again to everyone who has offered help and suggestions . This thread has certainly changed our original thoughts in so many ways. I just hope I can be as much help to people as I gain experience. THANK YOU so much !!!!!!!!!!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yep thats a good way to go , East of Paris
We used the canalside aire at Catillon sur Sambre then either giffaumont Champaubert or Geraudot , we've used both quite nice
Giffaumont Champaubert Aire is within a couple of minutes walk from Lac du Der. Think it's around €6.00 now. Very nice place.
Chambresis is opposite side to Lidl. 5 places to park. First 4 can get free EHU, plus free fresh water and black/grey dumping.
Pont a Mousson is on the Moselle. About €10 a night but own parking place, EHU, water very close. Shower block and toilets. 2 minutes away from a McDonald's (if you want free WiFi) Easy walk into town. Typical French town you expect. Getting there you'll pass through Champagne so if you want to go to the caves or stock up. Epernay for famous brands but other towns very local for particular Champagnes.
Always have a few Euro coins in case you get to an Aire. Some take coins while others are tokens (from local bakers etc) or Credit Card.
On return, if you're particularly early as we usually are, use Cite Europe. There's a parking area for Mohos. Last minute shopping etc.
Last time we went to tunnel about 5 hours early because never had a dog before. Instead of getting 01.25 train (thereabouts in case any anoraks) we cleared the pet check and as we checked in, it offered us the 20.05 train foc so we said yes and called early for 19.55 train.
Have a brilliant time. We're following you a month later and we'll be coddywompling.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks again to everyone who has offered help and suggestions . This thread has certainly changed our original thoughts in so many ways. I just hope I can be as much help to people as I gain experience. THANK YOU so much !!!!!!!!!!!
Don't think you've exhausted the guys and girls on here. They're all here to help as much as possible.
Breakdown cover?

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Giffaumont Champaubert Aire is within a couple of minutes walk from Lac du Der. Think it's around €6.00 now. Very nice place.
Chambresis is opposite side to Lidl. 5 places to park. First 4 can get free EHU, plus free fresh water and black/grey dumping.
Pont a Mousson is on the Moselle. About €10 a night but own parking place, EHU, water very close. Shower block and toilets. 2 minutes away from a McDonald's (if you want free WiFi) Easy walk into town. Typical French town you expect. Getting there you'll pass through Champagne so if you want to go to the caves or stock up. Epernay for famous brands but other towns very local for particular Champagnes.

They sound nice. Are they on camper contact ?

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
They may well be but I use 'All the Aires'. I'm sure the camperstop users will tell you. Which, or all are you interested in?

Giffaumont Champaubert Aire sounds really good and would probably be good for the 2nd night. Pont a Mousson which I found on campercontact, Looks great but is maybe a little further east than I was loosely planning on. I cannot find Chambresis on google. Is it known as something else?

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
I have also found Giffaumont Champaubert Aire on campercontact. I am waiting for the new all The aires book to come out or should I just get last years at a discount price. I am sure it wont have changed that much.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Giffaumont Champaubert Aire sounds really good and would probably be good for the 2nd night. Pont a Mousson which I found on campercontact, Looks great but is maybe a little further east than I was loosely planning on. I cannot find Chambresis on google. Is it known as something else?
The Giffaumont Champaubert is really a nice place particularly if you like lakeside. When SWMBO is back, I'll get a picture of Chambresis page. Not only that, there's another one I can't remember the name of we like and it's that way on but I'll get back to you later.
If you're not in a rush, it's worth waiting for the new issue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back