LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Easter in France hasn't been hideously busy in our experience, BUT a useful tip is that Good Friday is not a bank holiday in France, so make the most of it to bag your pitch for the weekend then stick to it. Easter(ish) is widely considered the start of the season by seasonal campsite owers, and some aires are free of charge before April. We've been in the Ardeche before Easter and it was deserted - bliss. After Easter you could probably walk across the river by stepping on plastic kayaks full of braying tourists.
:)
We go Easter every year (wife works at private school) and I have to concur with @magicsurfbus about how busy it is (OR NOT) at Easter. The only thing to worry about is the shops dont open at all on Easter Sunday Morning. Aires are generally Q. We have been in one in the Pyrenees still just in ski season and there were about 4 of us with facilities for 100+. Never failed to get into an aire at Easter (Annecy will always be a problem!).
We are going early Sunday morning 2nd April and stopping at Berck (about 30-40 miles down the coast from Calais) and the whole week there is the kite festival (I think the saturday night after is night time kite flying). Google it up and see if thats your bag. If so the 2 aires there cost 10 euros (unless they are free off season).
This time we are off to the Vendee (La Rochelle, Ile de Re, Ile de l'orean, Royan and up to St Nazaire) and having done the research on the area (The Hamptons of France) really looking forward to it.
The Dordogne also gets a great nod from us. The Alsace on the either side is stunning so check out the alsace wine route. This could be coupled with the Juras and the lakes near to Cascades du herrison. You have the whole of the Champagne region near as well.
A B plan was mentioned earlier and I have at least 5 plans up my sleeve for the tour but always a B plan as to where to stay.
If i were you in the situation you are in, I would pop off when I could and select an area or 2 for 6 weeks eg Alsace and Juras or Vendee and bit of Dordogne or Loire. I would pop over at Easter and lets hope we get a bit of sun. Also google everywhere everybody suggests. Go straight to the "images" and see what you fancy. We have never used a campsite in France and only rarely pay for an aire. 32p for a month is our best (8p for parking in Luxembourg and 24 p for water)
We have the aires book, camper contact, France Passion and search for sites. Our phones have Maps.me downloaded (off line access and free - have you worked me out yet?)
Bon voyages

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
First.

Whatever you do, don't rush it. France is all about a laid back lifestyle.

Second.

Many campsites in France work on an Easter opening date. I would look at going just after the Easter holidays as things will have quietened down and be cheaper.

Third.

I can't agree with @QFour, (sorry QFour), regarding dogs. The French are no better or worse than any other country for picking up but you will find free dispensers of "doggy bags" in many towns, usually affixed to lamp-posts. They are usually black and good quality. Something you don't find in the UK.

Fourth.

Make sure that you can at least say , "please, thank you, hello and goodbye" in French. With those words, a smile, and sign language you will manage in most places. Avoid Paris, it's a different Country.:eek:

Give it a go. Don't worry if you make mistakes, you're retired now and have plenty of time to learn.

Good luck.(y)

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
First.

Whatever you do, don't rush it. France is all about a laid back lifestyle.

Second.

Many campsites in France work on an Easter opening date. I would look at going just after the Easter holidays as things will have quietened down and be cheaper.

Third.

I can't agree with @QFour, (sorry QFour), regarding dogs. The French are no better or worse than any other country for picking up but you will find free dispensers of "doggy bags" in many towns, usually affixed to lamp-posts. They are usually black and good quality. Something you don't find in the UK.

Fourth.

Make sure that you can at least say , "please, thank you, hello and goodbye" in French. With those words, a smile, and sign language you will manage in most places. Avoid Paris, it's a different Country.:eek:

Give it a go. Don't worry if you make mistakes, you're retired now and have plenty of time to learn.

Good luck.(y)

We have both been learning French for a few months now and since I retired we are trying not to rush anywhere.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have both been learning French for a few months now and since I retired we are trying not to rush anywhere.
Great! I have been learning for a few years now but am still not fluent. I can manage most things but still get lost if the conversation progresses too quickly. A dictionary and a smile are both useful.

One thing I forgot to say is please use a Vet well away from the Channel on your return. If we use our local vet, in Burgundy, he charges us 11 euros. In Calais we have paid over 50 euros for the same threatment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
taralabradog

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Great! I have been learning for a few years now but am still not fluent. I can manage most things but still get lost if the conversation progresses too quickly. A dictionary and a smile are both useful.

One thing I forgot to say is please use a Vet well away from the Channel on your return. If we use our local vet, in Burgundy, he charges us 11 euros. In Calais we have paid over 50 euros for the same threatment.

Thanks for the vets tip

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We are going on the 2nd April at 18.50 because its the cheapest I could find late afternoon. We will be in France at 20.25 and 5 minutes later in the free Aire at the back of Cite Europe for the night. A bit of shopping in the morning at the Hypermarket, fill up with water and fuel at their garage and off south.
If you are going to have a look at Brittainy make your way through the Normandy Landing sites all along the coast - loads to see even if the weather is pants.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I have supported the toon forever . Glutton for punishment or what :rolleyes: but I was looking for something about mohos
aa knaa nout bout them!

pops was a fully fledged High Heaton and Long Benton boy and I was dragged up down here however the broon and the toon were instilled into me !

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Hi folks

We are not long retired and are looking to do our first overseas trip in the moho. We are thinking of going around Easter time for 6 weeks or so. Couple of questions.

Will most of the sites and Aires be open from Easter?

What is the best time and day to book the tunnel (we have a dog)?

Is France normally busy at that time of year?

Would it be better to go before or after Easter?

Ken & Cherry
Hi Ken and Cherry - just a little tip - no need to book the (expensive) tunnel just because of the dog. The ferry from Dover to Dunkirk takes less than two hours, is much cheaper than the tunnel and our little dog is quite happy in the van with food, water and her bed. Have a good time.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
pops was a fully fledged High Heaton and Long Benton boy and I was dragged up down here however the broon and the toon were instilled into me !

Met a chap on holiday in Greece once, who went to Heaton - he told the tale of a school cruise where all the kids we in uniforms with their socks pulled up etc and wherever they were looking round a couple of them were apparently helpful to some Americans sight seeing; just explained where the loos were or something- and they were very taken with the smart appearance and nice manners of the kids, so asked what school they were from. Heaton School being the response - Mr & Mrs USA apparently mis-heard this and were soon boasting to all their friends that they'd met boys from Eton ! LOL

He and his wife also treated us to their rendition of the Heaton Boating Song - lyrics penned by himself LOL

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
With six weeks you could head south to the Dordogne where we found it warmer last April. Go a bit quicker than you plan and come back north slower as the weather improves. Last April was a bit cold and wet and we got fed up with it. Theres a municipal site at St Malo. A bit scruffy but an easy walk in to the town and you can get a bus to Mont St Michel which would probably be better than trying to park there at Easter.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Hi folks

We are not long retired and are looking to do our first overseas trip in the moho. We are thinking of going around Easter time for 6 weeks or so. Couple of questions.

Will most of the sites and Aires be open from Easter?

What is the best time and day to book the tunnel (we have a dog)?

Is France normally busy at that time of year?

Would it be better to go before or after Easter?

Ken & Cherry

Yes, most sites in France open for Easter. The earlier you book the tunnel the cheaper it is...but you can buy a ticket on the day ...expensive though and you may not have as good a choice or availability as booking ahead. Easter is pretty much a 'non-event' in France especially in the north as the weather is not usually very different to here so chilly...you won't have a problem with booking...we've been driving through France at Easter time every year for the last 14 years and have never booked a camp sight nor had any problems with availability.
The roads will probably be quite busy around the Easter weekend though as people get out and about visiting locally.
It would be better to go after Easter if you are staying in Northern France as the weather will likely be better.
Whatever you decide have a great time and happy travels.:sun::Grin::drinks:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We were thinking about doing more of the quiet rural rather than the hustle and bustle although not too quiet. The last time we went to France we hired a cottage in Pompador. Lovely place but everywhere we went seemed to be empty, not even cardboard cut outs. The only place we actually came across real people was in Limoges.

Thats normal..BUSBY.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Lots of good advice here for you, Stealaways comments about visiting the Normandy beaches is spot on, don't forget Pegasus Bridge and museum then stop off at all the beaches especially Utah, another great Museum, well worth a couple of hours wandering around.
Brittany is a great suggestion too, it's generally quite a bit warmer than the UK but does have its fair share of rain. Lots of great Aires around the coast and some lovely old towns inland. We liked it so much, we bought a house there!
With 6 weeks to play around with, you could visit the beaches in Normandy, have a scoot round Brittany ( at least visit the standing stones at Carnac and the medieval town of Concarneau.
Down the Vendee to the Dordogne, stopping off to buy the local wines around Bordeaux, down to the Pyrenees to get some great views and interesting mountain roads, across to Provence, up the Rhone valley ( more wine) and either up the East side taking in Champagne ( more wine) or up the middle.
We did that route last year, April and May, though ended up back home in Brittany for the summer.
Lots of fantastic Aires to stay at and most of the inland ones should have spaces.
Have a great time and don't plan too much.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
You will just love Brittany. Was my first time in France last year and as a solo motorhomer I was a tad concerned but that concern melted away in an hour or so of arriving .the Brest peninsula is wonderful with so many gorgeous places to stop and see. @FIDGET has a plethora of places he has visited so use their knowledge and just enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of France. Roy

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
With six weeks you could head south to the Dordogne where we found it warmer last April. Go a bit quicker than you plan and come back north slower as the weather improves. Last April was a bit cold and wet and we got fed up with it. Theres a municipal site at St Malo. A bit scruffy but an easy walk in to the town and you can get a bus to Mont St Michel which would probably be better than trying to park there at Easter.
Je suis d'accord.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi Ken and Cherry - just a little tip - no need to book the (expensive) tunnel just because of the dog. The ferry from Dover to Dunkirk takes less than two hours, is much cheaper than the tunnel and our little dog is quite happy in the van with food, water and her bed. Have a good time.
I understand that bit but SWMBO won't do the ferry because of Pepper. Actually this year it was less than £25.00 extra to use the tunnel rather than the ferry and £6.00 was the dog place. Plus, on a personal note, for me it's far better. Done the ferries for years and we're more than happy to roll up, board, have relaxing brew (water pre done in flask) and 35 minutes travelling time we're there. Weather doesn't affect as easily.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We don't mind paying the Dartford toll as I believe its only a couple of quid. What is the best way to pay the toll?

Set an account up online to pay the Dartford toll, every time you use the toll the payment gets taken automatically. We've used it several times and never had a problem.

Aires in France will be open, never normally shut unless they're doing work on them, you will probably find most are free at that time of year.
Personally I would head West/South-ish!
Don't try to go through Rouen! Look for an Aire at La Mailleraye-sur-Seine, plot a route around Rouen and have a night or two at that Aire, watching the biiig boats! There is a Bourne there but will need tokens, get them from Boulangerie-I think. Don't park on the grass on the 'front' as this time of the year it will be soft, park back against the wall.

No problem with water as a lot of the Supermarche have a Bourne for water & dumping.

Roads will not be that busy unless you're going into the big towns/cities.
We very often end up in France around Easter and never found busy roads!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back