Newbies in Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by YorkshireLass, Jun 22, 2008.

1. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLass Deleted User

Hello there!

We're currently looking to buy our first motorhome, and it looks like it's going to be a Rollerteam 500.

We've got 2 children - a 2 1/2 year old and a 10 week old, and a motorhome seems to be the best option for us in terms of getting a holiday and making the most of weekends. Hubby is a paragliding fanatic and this way we can join him rather than staying at home.

Any hints, tips, advice etc. would be greatly appreciated! We're very very excited about it all! :Laughing::Laughing:

2. RuthRv

RuthRv Read Only Funster

welcome to the fun, hope you enjoy your new motorhome ,sounds exciting:Smile:
    ruth

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Welcome to the site enjoy yourself and don't forget the chatroom

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Welcome to FUN, any questions ask away, plenty of knowlegable and freindly people on here:thumb:

5. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Welome to Fun:thumb:

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Welcome, hope you find a suitable van soon.

With children so young, one of the most important factors will be that the van has suitable belted seats. Some belted travel seats in motorhomes are designed for adults and larger children and don't adequately restrain baby and child seats - best ask the question of the dealer before spending your money.

Graham

7. YorkshireLass

Aww thanks for all the replies - you really are very friendly on here!

This is actually one of the few vehicles that has got suitable restraints for the kids, and this is why our choices are so limited. It has 2 forward facing 3 point belts which we can get the car seats on, but the other 2 are only lap belts - good job we're not planning any more children!:BigGrin:

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Sorry to appear as if I'm going on about this but have you specifically checked that the 3 point belts will actually restrain child seats? Some 3 point belts allow child seats to move, especially the aisle ones, resulting in child being tipped into the aisle.

Graham

9. YorkshireLass

Hi Graham

Many thanks. I really appreciate the point you're making and am going to check with the dealer when I phone. I just assumed that with it being a 3 point belt it would be the same as in a car, but I see what you mean about them possibly tipping into the aisle.

This is exactly why I've signed up to this forum!!!

Thanks again! :thumb:

10. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Hi Yorkshire lass. Dont wast time with salesmen, they will tell you anything. The isle seat belt is useless as my daughter has a Ace Milano and cant use that seat belt except for an older child (she has 5). First trip and no 2 Grandson fell off seat as belt didnt lock on side pull. good luck and WELCOME.:thumb:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  11. Lampie

Lampie Read Only Funster

Hi Yorkshire Lass

Welcome to fun. I wished I had got my motorhome years ago . We tried one out on a hire when my little girl was 6 months old and thought it was great . She was four when we actually got round to buying one , best thing we have ever done. Great family times together weekends long summer hols whatever you fancy doing / going . Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Lampie

12. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

Welcome

Hi

I am new to the 'FUN' site bit have been Motorhoming for 2 years.

We recently bumped into a rally group in Bridlington and have enjoyed quite a number of rallies with our new friends.

We are the Yorkshire friends Ralliers and most of the meets are based in Yorkshire (which is where most of the 'Friends' live)

We are actually from Durham so we have to travel about 200 miles for each of our weekend trips. But it is worth it.

We are the only motorhomers in the group, and since we do not tow yet we are usually stranded on the field or we walk to find buses.

If the fancy takes you would you like to join us one weekend?

June :thumb:

We a\re a very friendly group.

13. YorkshireLass

Thanks June! When we get ours we may well take you up on the offer!

14. YorkshireLass

Update!

Hello again!

Many thanks again for all your responses, we had a good old think and ended up purchasing an 07 Autotrail Tracker EK from Richard Baldwin Motorhomes. The service was fantastic, the staff extremely knowledgeable and friendly and we're over the moon with our purchase!

It's perfect for us because it has 2 separate forward facing seats with 3-point seatbelts that we can strap the kids car seats onto. Following everyone's advice we checked that they fitted and checked how much they moved about (with the kids in them :Eeek:!!) before we went ahead.

We had a week in Wales a few weeks ago, and despite the weather :cry: we had a great time. We did really well considering it was our first trip and only forgot a couple of things! I since ordered and received the checklist book and it's great :thumb:

We're hoping to go away again this weekend so we now need to work out how to use the heating :BigGrin:

So, if you see an Autotrail tracker being driven by a rather beefy skinhead in a hoodie (my hubby!) and a woman grinning crazily with a toddler waving through the window at one side and a baby with arms and legs flailing at the other side, that'll be us, give us a wave :Laughing:

H x

15. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Hiya Guys and a Great BIG welcome to MotorhomeFUN.:thumb:

16. Thanks for that June,:Wink:

Yorkshire Friends Ralliers are proud to announce that our new website is now up and running.

yorkshirefriendsralliers

Please feel free to visit... We would welcome more motorhome members in YFR. :thumb:

17. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

hi and welcom :Smile: