Newbies from South Yorkshire. (1 Viewer)

kennyp369

Free Member
Jan 14, 2013
Wentworth, Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 Twin axle lhd
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are Lynn & Ken, and our latest family now consists of Benson (Westie) & Martha (Cairn) now that our 'human' family have grown up and are 'doing there own thing'. My wife Lynn has just retired but I have to wait until April yuk! We have been caravanners for years and years until our latest 'pride and joy' got stolen! Now we are looking to return to travelling but this time by motorhome now we are entering our 'golden years' but have the decision to make European or R V? I am hoping we might get some useful tips and suggestions although by the look of some of the 'banter' on this site we might have a bit of 'sifting' to do. Seriously though you do sound like a 'fun bunch' and am looking forward to exchanging thoughts and ideas.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi welcome to Fun, you do seem to have picked up the general idea, but in amongst the banter a lot of knowledge that is freely shared.

For two I would think a European would be a good choice, get a idea of how you want to use it,_to tour UK and Europe a European van would make sense, to Park up for long periods on Spain etc then maybe a RV whatever your choice enjoy.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
:welc:
Hello, can't help you with the choice of MH as we're on our 2nd British van. But as we like travelling around France, using Aires & municipal sites we wouldn't want too big a van. Have fun looking though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome (y)from another s,yorkie :)RVs are big and very thirsty :reel: while euro vans are more cosy and user friendly.The only sure way find out what you need rather than want :D is to get out there and look at as many vans/layouts as you can (y)Decide how you are going to use what you buy -that is up sticks and move on after a day or 2 or stick in one place just like a caravan :LOL:Layout is the single most important thing (y)Don't be afraid to climb onto beds/put them up and down or do anything you would normally do in your van :Dbefore anyone says NO I don't mean that ;) but imagine cooking a meal etc, you did it all in your caravan so how well does it work in a van -you get the drift :) did I mention LAYOUT :D
terry

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Welcome,

Alan + Diane,

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Wecome to fun, any more and we can have our own Yorkshire division soon

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
:welc:

Only you can decide what you need in your van but make a list of what you want and put it into priority order.
For a start:

Layout

Payload (will you be taking sports equipment like bikes or canoes or ????)

Number of berths and travelling seats - you may have Grandchildren that want to come and play with you. Our 26 year old daughter has announced she is coming with us for a weekend in October just for fun!!! We also have a small Grandchild thanks to our son who also loves being with Ganda and Gama.

Garage or not?

Those are just a few things to think about.

Go to a dealer and look round.

As others have said test the beds for size and easy of getting in / out and making up.
If one (or both) of you gets up in the night is it easy to get out of bed? The Drake is up during the night but I am generally well corked so sleep on the "inside".
Is the loo / shower big enough? Sit on the loo and check it isn't too high and you have room to do what a person needs to do.
Is there space to pass each other when you need to - very important with mid-ships galley layouts.

We are on our third van in about 25 years. The first was a minibus that we used as a camper, the second was a huge 7.5 tonne jobbie and now we have a sub-6 metre low profile. Each did what we wanted at the time we had it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back