French1

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
France
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hello, we are Ellie and Nick and our two sprogs, 2 dogs, 2 cats and a few fish, oh and a hamster and we live in Normandy France ::bigsmile:. we are currently weighing up the options about getting a MH, as mentioned in our thread in the beginners bit.

Any advice and help would be gratefully recieved as we may have tried everything else (caravans, tents, boats, statics and houses etc) but this our first forray into the world of motorhomes!

:Eeek:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi & welcome! Whereabouts in Normandie are you? :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
From what I have seen when touring France is that the majority of motorhomes there seem to be rental, so why not hire one for a short period to see how you get on?

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
From what I have seen when touring France is that the majority of motorhomes there seem to be rental, so why not hire one for a short period to see how you get on?

I agree that it is a good idea to hire for a test run out, but there is a limited range and it is only the larger vehicle hire companies who do camping cars - Avis and Hertz being the most common. They use camping dealers as their agents, but it will be necessary to Goggle " location de camping car" to lead you to your closest. Occasionally, as in the UK, you will find a private hire, but then you may have to arrange your own insurance.

I am sorry, but I can't agree with you that most of the camping cars in France are hired/rented. The majority of the French camping cars do have the name of a dealer on them, both front and rear. Perhaps this is what leads you to think they are all hire vehicles.

If I can find the web sites for hire companies I will re-post.

J

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome

I agree that it is a good idea to hire for a test run out, but there is a limited range and it is only the larger vehicle hire companies who do camping cars - Avis and Hertz being the most common. They use camping dealers as their agents, but it will be necessary to Goggle " location de camping car" to lead you to your closest. Occasionally, as in the UK, you will find a private hire, but then you may have to arrange your own insurance.

I am sorry, but I can't agree with you that most of the camping cars in France are hired/rented. The majority of the French camping cars do have the name of a dealer on them, both front and rear. Perhaps this is what leads you to think they are all hire vehicles.

J
I just put 'French motorhome hire companies' into Google and there are plenty to choose from

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Hi and welcome, or should I say Bonjour?
The best advice, repeated here many times for people thinking of buying a camping car, is to go and view some at a dealers and have a good look around them. Make a list of what you really want and what you can do without, and spend some time in them, with everyone who will be using it
Repeat 100 times and you should get some idea of what you want.
It is a good idea to hire, but if do it first and have the wrong type and you spend a week or a fortnight in it, it might put you off altogether……

Good luck in your search.

Allan

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Have a look online at 'Leboncoin.fr' if you look under 'location camping car' you will find plenty. There are also a lot of private hirers on there, not sure how that works though :RollEyes: might be a bit difficult getting insured but they look ok?

We were going to do that but then spotted a lovely camping car for sale on the same site. It what we were looking for and a good price. So we took the risk and thankfully it paid off as we love it. I do agree though, try before you buy would e more sensible:winky:

Good luck:thumb:

OP
OP
F

French1

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
France
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
we have been looking on leboncoin and found some lovely ones, hopefully going to have a look at a few different ones at dealers and see what they are like.

jools66

Free Member
Jul 5, 2011
Fulltime Devon/Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
FT since 04/12
Hello and welcome to the FUN! :Smile:

Is a great idea to hire before you buy and try to suss out what size/layout etc will suit you best.

We are currently loitering in your neck of the woods (Le Havre last night and we are at Honfleur till Sunday then on to visit some WW2 things)

Looking at all the French vans here (must be 100+) there is sure to be a good second hand market over here when you find the one for you.

Enjoy your hunt and enjoy the motorhoming even more... :thumb:

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp

J
Have a look at Link Removed lots of people do private rentals, i have never done it my self so not sure how it works with insurance and stuff.
Dave

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Have a look at Link Removed lots of people do private rentals, i have never done it my self so not sure how it works with insurance and stuff.
Dave

The OP tried that more than 8 years ago...........;)

le bon.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back