Newbies from France

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by French1, Oct 31, 2013.

1. French1

French1 Read Only Funster

Hello, we are Ellie and Nick and our two sprogs, 2 dogs, 2 cats and a few fish, oh and a hamster and we live in Normandy France :BigGrin:. we are currently weighing up the options about getting a MH, as mentioned in our thread in the beginners bit.

Any advice and help would be gratefully recieved as we may have tried everything else (caravans, tents, boats, statics and houses etc) but this our first forray into the world of motorhomes!

:Eeek:

2. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to the Fun!

Lots of knowledgeable folk on here so ask away :BigGrin:

3. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Hi & welcome! Whereabouts in Normandie are you? :Smile:

4. French1

Hi we live in the Manche, whereabouts are you? :BigGrin:

5. FM02MZO

FM02MZO Funster

From what I have seen when touring France is that the majority of motorhomes there seem to be rental, so why not hire one for a short period to see how you get on?

6. Pilote87

Pilote87 Funster

From what I have seen when touring France is that the majority of motorhomes there seem to be rental, so why not hire one for a short period to see how you get on?

I agree that it is a good idea to hire for a test run out, but there is a limited range and it is only the larger vehicle hire companies who do camping cars - Avis and Hertz being the most common. They use camping dealers as their agents, but it will be necessary to Goggle " location de camping car" to lead you to your closest. Occasionally, as in the UK, you will find a private hire, but then you may have to arrange your own insurance.

I am sorry, but I can't agree with you that most of the camping cars in France are hired/rented. The majority of the French camping cars do have the name of a dealer on them, both front and rear. Perhaps this is what leads you to think they are all hire vehicles.

If I can find the web sites for hire companies I will re-post.

J

7. FM02MZO

FM02MZO Funster

I just put 'French motorhome hire companies' into Google and there are plenty to choose from

8. Phill D

Phill D

hi and welcome.

9. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Hi and welcome, or should I say Bonjour?
    The best advice, repeated here many times for people thinking of buying a camping car, is to go and view some at a dealers and have a good look around them. Make a list of what you really want and what you can do without, and spend some time in them, with everyone who will be using it
    Repeat 100 times and you should get some idea of what you want.
    It is a good idea to hire, but if do it first and have the wrong type and you spend a week or a fortnight in it, it might put you off altogether……

Good luck in your search.

Allan

10. stcyr

stcyr Funster

In the Manche aussi - pas loin de Barenton... :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Volusia

Volusia

Have a look online at 'Leboncoin.fr' if you look under 'location camping car' you will find plenty. There are also a lot of private hirers on there, not sure how that works though :RollEyes: might be a bit difficult getting insured but they look ok?

We were going to do that but then spotted a lovely camping car for sale on the same site. It what we were looking for and a good price. So we took the risk and thankfully it paid off as we love it. I do agree though, try before you buy would e more sensible:Wink:

Good luck:thumb:

12. French1

we have been looking on leboncoin and found some lovely ones, hopefully going to have a look at a few different ones at dealers and see what they are like.

13. jools66

jools66 Read Only Funster

Hello and welcome to the FUN! :Smile:

Is a great idea to hire before you buy and try to suss out what size/layout etc will suit you best.

We are currently loitering in your neck of the woods (Le Havre last night and we are at Honfleur till Sunday then on to visit some WW2 things)

Looking at all the French vans here (must be 100+) there is sure to be a good second hand market over here when you find the one for you.

Enjoy your hunt and enjoy the motorhoming even more... :thumb: