Mar 26, 2013
Bacup,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
21/2 years
Hello ::bigsmile:
We have been lurking for the last year or 18 months and thought its about time we parted with some hard earned cash and joined in !!
Being only 2 miles from the Yorkshire border you will under stand how difficult that was.
We are looking forward to meets and events in the coming year.
I do have a question and hope someone can help please.
Different views on the time between pet passport and rabies jab and travel have left me confused.
Our dog is booked with the vet tomorrow for passport, can I travel to France via Dover on the 16th Jan ?
I am told that providing we dont return to UKwithin 21 days of Annie having her rabies jab its ok.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Jim N Ju

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
:welcomefunster::welcomefunster::welcomefunster:
From fellow Funsters Pamela and Derek

cannot help with your question - others will help I'm sure

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
When I was travelling with my 2 Great Danes the initial wait before you could travel with blood test and vaccines was 6 months......it appears to be 3 month now.....

see here -----> [HI] https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad[/HI]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
It looks like you have got your numbers mixed up. Check this site out
Link Removed

From the date of injection you must wait 21 days before travelling. That is if you are going to an EU country.

"When travelling to or returning to the UK from another EU or non-EU listed country, your pet needs:
a microchip
a rabies vaccination (make sure your pet is microchipped first or the vaccination won’t count)
a pet passport or official third country veterinary certificate
tapeworm treatment (for dogs only)
You must wait 21 days from the date of the rabies vaccination before travelling"

Sorry, nearly forgot, welcome to the Fun.

Last edited:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
as the pet passport is NOT checked going out of the uk i think you will find that the 21 day rule is for entry back into the uk . so you can go abroad immediately but cannot return [from a eu country] before a minimum of 3 weeks ! garry

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
as the pet passport is NOT checked going out of the uk i think you will find that the 21 day rule is for entry back into the uk . so you can go abroad immediately but cannot return [from a eu country] before a minimum of 3 weeks ! garry

I'd be surprised if it works like that?

What's to stop you going the same day and dog getting bitten?

The vaccine won't start to have a proper effect for a while.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The current guidance is here: https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

This very clearly says you have to wait wait 21 days before travelling. But if as covered above, on the way out no one checks then perhaps you might get away with it. My guess would be you might be luckier with the Eurotunnel than a ferry, but that's only a guess.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

I agree the passports are not checked on the way out (or at least not when we travelled last September) I just quoted from the website in the link so could not say if you are right or wrong.

OP
OP
J

jimcunliffe

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Bacup,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
21/2 years
Thank you for all your replies and warm welcome to Funsters.
Looks like we will have to wait 21 days or take a chance on not being checked on outbound journey.
Best book ferry for 29th Jan just to be on safe side:Sad:passport for Annie today at 5pm.
We are heading initally to Limoges area to visit friends then south as far as we need to get a bit of sun and warmth! possibly on towards the Spanish Costas.
This will be our first trip abroad in the motorhome and am itching to get going,
hence the question about pets.

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Hello there!

Hi Jim and Julie,

You'll love it in France (and Spain if you get that far!)........ they're really set up for motorhomes over there which makes for a very enjoyable experience.

Being a member of FUN you now have access to a very valuable resource that will enable you to make the most of your motorhome.

Hope to see you around at some time.

Simon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back