Newbie (1 Viewer)

Safetyman

Free Member
Apr 5, 2008
Funster No
Hi All
Just joined so please be gentle, no doubt it will take me a while to get the hang of it.
I am assuming that a fifth wheel counts as a Motorhome (thats what my Insurance Companies assessment says) as I spotted one of the threads mentioning this.
At the grand age of 57 and with kids flown the nest I find my childhood is returning hence for the last 2 years we have been cavorting around the countryside in a Roadrunner Fifth Wheel and Nissan Navara.
Your site attracted me with the mention of Beer and Fun, sounds like a perfick match!
Hope to join in with the topics.
Kind Regards

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi welcome to the site. All are welcome here from tents to RV's, it's all the same thing ..camping. Any questions ask away there is a wealth of info available here. The natives are friendly too. ::bigsmile:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
welcome safetyman, look forward to meeting you sometime in the future:Smile:
ruth

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
A-ha - just this minute picked a 5'er up from off the pavement in Truro - whey-he - means we can eat a square meal today! :RollEyes:

Welcome Safetyman - as they say, you don't have to be mad to join this forum - but sometimes it helps. :thumb::thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Your a seven wheeler with the spare and a steering wheel or were you shortchanged?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Welcome:thumb:

joanie

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
donegal,ireland
Funster No
Exp
three years,on and off
welcome

hi safetyman,welcome,im new too,and what a good site,loads a help when you want it,:thumb:happy dayz,regaeds joanie.:Smile::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
A-ha - just this minute picked a 5'er up from off the pavement in Truro - whey-he - means we can eat a square meal today! :RollEyes:

Welcome Safetyman - as they say, you don't have to be mad to join this forum - but sometimes it helps. :thumb::thumb:

:Eeek::Eeek: Yes you do!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Welcome anyway.:thumb:

John

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yep, that'd do it.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Shell until 1974 then Cable & Wireless until it became Global Marine. Took voluntary redundancy / early retirement in 2002 (at age 53). A great life, but much better being at home. :thumb:

I see film of storms at sea and suchlike and wonder what on earth I found enjoyable about that - but then there's the other side like a year and a half in Hawaii, several years in Spain, another year and a half based in Suva, etc., all of which was really good fun. Didn't do my body a lot of good mind. :Eeek:

Yo Ho Ho

John

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Safetyman

Your turn to help...... Have you got an imported 5'er or did you buy it here?

Question.....

Hi Dick

first post on this forum so here goes

I currently have a Cedar Creek 5th wheel here in the States - like others its insured by Progressive ,just insured it full coverage value $50k with 6 months use 6 months storage $395. The truck is more expensive at value $24k full coverage 6 months $1200 also by Progressive. The policy were taken out through Lazydays with Montana quotes on UK licence. The truck is a bit more expensive because it comes into commercial being a 3500 - if it was a 2500 you might get a better quote from other insurers

If I import it back to the Uk i would be interested in the driving licence needed ie would I need a hgv class 1 or whatever they call it now,and how do I cover the braking and parking brake needed for UK trailers.

Ian & Doreen

I think we need more information on weight of both vehicles before quoting car or HGV - but what about the brake requirements?

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Welcome Safety Man from another 'fiver'. :thumb:

Ours is a Jayco Jayflight - pulled by Mitsubishi L200.

OP
OP
S

Safetyman

Free Member
Apr 5, 2008
Funster No
Hi Safetyman

Your turn to help...... Have you got an imported 5'er or did you buy it here?

Question.....

Hi Dick

first post on this forum so here goes

I currently have a Cedar Creek 5th wheel here in the States - like others its insured by Progressive ,just insured it full coverage value $50k with 6 months use 6 months storage $395. The truck is more expensive at value $24k full coverage 6 months $1200 also by Progressive. The policy were taken out through Lazydays with Montana quotes on UK licence. The truck is a bit more expensive because it comes into commercial being a 3500 - if it was a 2500 you might get a better quote from other insurers

If I import it back to the Uk i would be interested in the driving licence needed ie would I need a hgv class 1 or whatever they call it now,and how do I cover the braking and parking brake needed for UK trailers.

Ian & Doreen

I think we need more information on weight of both vehicles before quoting car or HGV - but what about the brake requirements?

Hi Moandick in answer to the queries I think you will find that Cedars would not be legal on a normal driving licence in the UK because I believe they are over 7ft 6ins wide (8ft?) and I fear a class 1 licence would be required, however it would only be the width that restricts it and not the weight (odd I know)
I know Lazydays well having been there but they dont seem to know (or care) about UK restrictions on this type of rig (they are a sales operation) but rules are rules and 7' 6" is the max under the Road Traffic Regulations.(for a car licence)
Brakes- Electric brakes are fine as long as the Train weight is not exceded and they are connected to the vehicle braking system (usually via the tow vehicle brake switch)
My unit was purchased in the UK and has a manual handbrake fitted (as much use as the Popes Parts & I never use it) which does comply with the regs.
Insurance- Camptons in the UK are about the best for Insurance as my rig costs £430 a year fully comprehensive for Pick-up and Trailer (they class it as a Motorhome) a survey from Niche Marketing where I bought the unit confirms this.
My wife and I have studied 5ers for the last ten years but only taken the plunge in 2006, since then and after experiancing Caravaning its worth it whatever the cost!
Hope this helps
Come back if you need more.
Regards
Malcolm

PS As Ian & Doreen say some dimensions of your unit will enable us to give a difinitive answer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Safetyman

Free Member
Apr 5, 2008
Funster No
Welcome Safety Man from another 'fiver'. :thumb:

Ours is a Jayco Jayflight - pulled by Mitsubishi L200.

Hi Algill
Thanks for the welcome, nice to see our numbers are swelling, lets face it there is no competition, once a 5driver never return!
Sun Valley Roadrunner and Nissan Navara with lots of stares from Truck Drivers dont know why that is! Wifes not too glossy so it cant be that!
What size is your Jayco?

Regards
Malcolm

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi safetyman and welcome to the FUN. :thumb::thumb:
one uk 5'er dealer can convert your pickup to provide air brakes to the trailer but that puts another £1000 on your bill. :Eeek:
electric brakes appear to be the best option and they have a control to advance or retard trailer braking in the cab. :thumb:

john.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Thanks, guys - Ill make sure Ian and Doreen read the relevant posts.

OP
OP
S

Safetyman

Free Member
Apr 5, 2008
Funster No
Yep, that'd do it.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Shell until 1974 then Cable & Wireless until it became Global Marine. Took voluntary redundancy / early retirement in 2002 (at age 53). A great life, but much better being at home. :thumb:

I see film of storms at sea and suchlike and wonder what on earth I found enjoyable about that - but then there's the other side like a year and a half in Hawaii, several years in Spain, another year and a half based in Suva, etc., all of which was really good fun. Didn't do my body a lot of good mind. :Eeek:

Yo Ho Ho

John

John
Does Cable & Wireless mean that you were one of those subcontract Radio shack guys that disapeared every time a rope was thrown around a bollard?
If so I have never seen a Radio man ever look out of a porthole!
:ROFLMAO:
Malcolm

OP
OP
S

Safetyman

Free Member
Apr 5, 2008
Funster No
hi safetyman and welcome to the FUN. :thumb::thumb:
one uk 5'er dealer can convert your pickup to provide air brakes to the trailer but that puts another £1000 on your bill. :Eeek:
electric brakes appear to be the best option and they have a control to advance or retard trailer braking in the cab. :thumb:

john.

Quite right John and illegal if you use it in the UK, daft I know cos its safer to stop the inertia with 8 wheels rather than 4!!!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Safetyman

Free Member
Apr 5, 2008
Funster No
Helllo And Welcome to the Fun:thumb:

Thanks for the welcome Ken & Dawn, hope to meet up sometime.
Regards
Malcolm

Oops forgot to put senior managements name in - Carol, deep doo doo!

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
John
Does Cable & Wireless mean that you were one of those subcontract Radio shack guys that disapeared every time a rope was thrown around a bollard?
If so I have never seen a Radio man ever look out of a porthole!
:ROFLMAO:
Malcolm

Good lord no!:roflmto:
Deck through and through. Started as Apprentice Deck Officer with Shell and stayed with them for about 3 years after getting 2nd. Mates. Moved to C & W and started out as 4th. Mate. They sold their Cableship fleet to Global Marine - sort of spun off from AT & T when they downsized. Spent some time going Chief Officer to Captain then C/O again for quite a while then 'they' discovered a way of doubling the capacity of every fibre optic cable in existence, so the bottom fell out of the installation business. Bye bye cable ships, hello do my own thing - and loving it.:thumb:

My pocket history::bigsmile:
What did you do - other than go bananas::bigsmile:
John

OP
OP
S

Safetyman

Free Member
Apr 5, 2008
Funster No
Good lord no!:roflmto:
Deck through and through. Started as Apprentice Deck Officer with Shell and stayed with them for about 3 years after getting 2nd. Mates. Moved to C & W and started out as 4th. Mate. They sold their Cableship fleet to Global Marine - sort of spun off from AT & T when they downsized. Spent some time going Chief Officer to Captain then C/O again for quite a while then 'they' discovered a way of doubling the capacity of every fibre optic cable in existence, so the bottom fell out of the installation business. Bye bye cable ships, hello do my own thing - and loving it.:thumb:

My pocket history::bigsmile:
What did you do - other than go bananas::bigsmile:
John

Hi John
Started as a Toolmaker, worked in Holland, went to sea (as an Injuneer), did 10 years in Qatar (Amirs Flight), 7 years at BA Cargo Heathrow (Cargo Handling Equip Mgr for Honeywell), 5 years in Bahrain (Maint Mgr), 5 years with Racal and now a H&S Mgr with Babcock.
I spose its better than working for a living and at least I get to travel around UK a lot. Just got 8 years to do then I shall be joining those lucky ones in the Paddock.
Roll on.:Cool:
Malc

C

camperman

Deleted User
La Motte Camping

Hi Guys,

A warm Welcome from ALL at La Motte Camping,

Hope to see you soon

Kind Regards
Chris
La Motte Camping sarl