TINYTONY

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
merseyside
Funster No
MH
AM BUYING A MOTERHOME
Exp
Am thinking of buying an elddis 180 2007 .Any advise would be welcome.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Weight issues....
Reading the current spec on this van they rate it as 3500kg with 500kg payload... That's not a lot for a so called 6 berth van, especially as their advert say there is no allowance to carry water and advise to travel empty !!
If the one you are buying is over 3500kg then make sure your license covers it..l

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN as you will find this is the best forum on the net for all and any motorhome related questions, life and the Universe. (y)

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Hi and Welcome from South Glos. :smiley:

OP
OP
TINYTONY

TINYTONY

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
merseyside
Funster No
MH
AM BUYING A MOTERHOME
Exp
HI, TO YOU ALL LOOKING FORWARD TO ATTENDING A RALLY SOON.
RE, WIEGHT ISSUE HOPE THIS WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM AS THERE WILL ONLY BE 2 POEPLE TRAVELING IN M/H. HAVING READ YOUR VERY INFORMATIVE ADVISES ON BUYING A M/H . I AM GOING HAVE IT INSPECTED BY MOBILE M/H
FIRM.. AS I HAVE NEVER OWNED OR DRIVEN A M/H AM HIRING AN ELDDIS 180 FOR A WEEK TO TRY OUT

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome. Hope you enjoy the hire van and then the fun begins. For any specific question re weight or teccy stuff it's best to repost in the other sections, you should get better responses to your questions.
:welc:

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
:welc: Hi TinyTony

That's how we started - hiring a motorhome in NZ for three weeks. Hopefully will give you a bit of an idea as to the layout you might like to end up with, plus a general feeling for the lifestyle. :D

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Am thinking of buying an elddis 180 2007 .Any advise would be welcome.

Hi @TINYTONY. Are you sure you want something that big if there's only two of you? I have a 165 and it's perfectly adequate for the two of us (Great 'van by the way)

That big bulb at the front will cost you in terms of economy if you don't need it. AND, you'll notice the difference in the wind too!

Have a great time in your hire van.
James

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
hello head duck.jpg hello!

Lots of good advice already......

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Hi @TINYTONY. Are you sure you want something that big if there's only two of you? I have a 165 and it's perfectly adequate for the two of us (Great 'van by the way)

That big bulb at the front will cost you in terms of economy if you don't need it. AND, you'll notice the difference in the wind too!

James

Hi TT, above is sensible thought, we are only a couple and went for the DEVON TEMPEST.
Had no problem since the initial purchase but that was down to a bad dealer. You can read my review on the Dealer Review page of this site I would also recommend that you read the book written by Jim and available from Fun M. Remember dealers want your dosh so BEWARE

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there and welcome to MHF(y)
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
TINYTONY

TINYTONY

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
merseyside
Funster No
MH
AM BUYING A MOTERHOME
Exp
Weight issues....
Reading the current spec on this van they rate it as 3500kg with 500kg payload... That's not a lot for a so called 6 berth van, especially as their advert say there is no allowance to carry water and advise to travel empty !!
If the one you are buying is over 3500kg then make sure your license covers it..l

OP
OP
TINYTONY

TINYTONY

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
merseyside
Funster No
MH
AM BUYING A MOTERHOME
Exp

James
HI JAMES
HIRED 180 FOR LONG W/END
you where right to big for just two people and did not like big bulb on front.
looked at a 165, witch I liked but (she who must be obey)
did not like fixed bed. Going to look at 195, as we both
like the rear lounge layout
thanks for your advise TINYTONY

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
HI JAMES
HIRED 180 FOR LONG W/END
you where right to big for just two people and did not like big bulb on front.
looked at a 165, witch I liked but (she who must be obey)
did not like fixed bed. Going to look at 195, as we both
like the rear lounge layout
thanks for your advise TINYTONY

You're welcome TT. It's all a matter of choice and what the wife says :D. The 195 is the same dimensions as the 165 - just the bed configuration with its rear lounge etc is different. Personally, I don't like what is known in the trade as 'cushion juggling' when making a bed up each night. Had all that with my previous van. However, a rear lounge is nice too. It's great to just sit there and people-watch.
Anyway; you're going about it all in the right way.....hiring, then looking around.
When you DO buy, try and worm a TV aerial out of them ( you get a bracket, but no aerial!) and a wind-out awning too. Some dealerships will include them, some don't!

James

OP
OP
TINYTONY

TINYTONY

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
merseyside
Funster No
MH
AM BUYING A MOTERHOME
Exp
You're welcome TT. It's all a matter of choice and what the wife says :D. The 195 is the same dimensions as the 165 - just the bed configuration with its rear lounge etc is different. Personally, I don't like what is known in the trade as 'cushion juggling' when making a bed up each night. Had all that with my previous van. However, a rear lounge is nice too. It's great to just sit there and people-watch.
Anyway; you're going about it all in the right way.....hiring, then looking around.
When you DO buy, try and worm a TV aerial out of them ( you get a bracket, but no aerial!) and a wind-out awning too. Some dealerships will include them, some don't!

James

OP
OP
TINYTONY

TINYTONY

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
merseyside
Funster No
MH
AM BUYING A MOTERHOME
Exp
GOING TO TEST DRIVE.MARQUIS 195 NEXT TUESDAY.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
My wife and I purchased a 6 berth with a rear u-shaped lounge (Bessacarr E495) which has in theory 4 more berths than we need. However we wanted a larger space than a 2 berth so if the weather is bad we can sit inside in comfort without feeling 'hemmed in'.

As has been mentioned the u-shaped rear lounge is great for sitting, relaxing and people watching. The separate dining area also makes the space feel bigger.

As for the over cab bed, that is not for us as we don't fancy climbing down the ladder when a midnight visit to the loo is needed. However our grand children just love it. They can be put to bed and the adults can sit in the lounge and watch the telly or whatever.

It is not a 'daily' vehicle so fuel consumption was not a major issue.

So, bigger van = more living space but harder to park.

Smaller van = less living space but easier to park.

You pays your money - you makes your choice.

Look at as many vans as you can and you will soon get a feel for what you like.

Good luck TinyTony and have fun. (y)

KH

OP
OP
TINYTONY

TINYTONY

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
merseyside
Funster No
MH
AM BUYING A MOTERHOME
Exp
My wife and I purchased a 6 berth with a rear u-shaped lounge (Bessacarr E495) which has in theory 4 more berths than we need. However we wanted a larger space than a 2 berth so if the weather is bad we can sit inside in comfort without feeling 'hemmed in'.

As has been mentioned the u-shaped rear lounge is great for sitting, relaxing and people watching. The separate dining area also makes the space feel bigger.

As for the over cab bed, that is not for us as we don't fancy climbing down the ladder when a midnight visit to the loo is needed. However our grand children just love it. They can be put to bed and the adults can sit in the lounge and watch the telly or whatever.

It is not a 'daily' vehicle so fuel consumption was not a major issue.

So, bigger van = more living space but harder to park.

Smaller van = less living space but easier to park.

You pays your money - you makes your choice.

Look at as many vans as you can and you will soon get a feel for what you like.

Good luck TinyTony and have fun. (y)

KH

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi and welcome from Devon with Photo4x4 KH ,(and after having smaller vans in years past)
ask yourself what are all your total requirements .....fun looking though,hope you make the right choice in the end (y)
W5.gif

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back