Newbie with issues to start full time living (1 Viewer)

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
You could be on the electoral register at your "accommodation" address and let out your own house.
If you declare you are full time and are insured as such, the relatives address is only for a contact address , a c/o mailing address,.. you don't require to live there or pay any bills ..
If your van is stolen or damaged in an accident you would need somewhere to live while it is being repaired or replaced..that is why the full timers insurance is expensive..

I see, but who actually pays for the replacement motorhome presuming the doomsday scenario occurs and it's stolen or written off, would that be covered too?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I see, but who actually pays for the replacement motorhome presuming the doomsday scenario occurs and it's stolen or written off, would that be covered too?

The replacement motorhome should be covered by insurance - the cost of alternative accommodation until it is replaced / repaired probably would not be but if an accident was not your fault you could claim "out of pocket expenses" from the at fault party - possibly?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
I can understand the appeal of this as it's in all our souls to just take off and be free.
If the relatives address is just a contact address why does it have to be a relative? Could it not just be a friend or even just a PO box type address?
I think I'd prefer to use my flat as a base and just take extended holidays with a conventional insurance company TBH. Besides you need to come back for things like medication, MOT's and the like. Almost as good but with a lot less hassle I reckon.

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Hello @roadster55 No problem it being a friend, its normally a family member as thats who most would ask first. I might be wrong but a lot of full timers i would think don't have a property of there own to use as a base. We certainly don't, the van is all we have.

I really admire you guys - you're braver than me!

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
i am looking for UK and European full time breakdown plus health ins, anyone got a company in mind they already use,

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
yes.. that's what the insurance is for

The bit I'm struggling with is that there can't be that many full-timers paying into the insurance pot, so who funds pay-outs when a full-timing vehicle and it's contents are written off or stolen? Presumably it comes out of their conventional insurance premiums which I know Comfort do as well, I suppose the others too...

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Some very clever, knowledgeable and savy people have been trying to sort this conundrum for a very long time. Unfortunately as far as I am aware no one has yet come up with a replacement for a letterbox.

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Some very clever, knowledgeable and savy people have been trying to sort this conundrum for a very long time. Unfortunately as far as I am aware no one has yet come up with a replacement for a letterbox.

A conclusion I'm also coming too mate!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I know Comfort will insure you in this situation, but has anyone actually claimed?
I don't know but I would imagine they'd be devious enough to require proof that you were actually residing at the relatives address as a bare minimum, utility bills for example
It's not devious. Comfort state in their policy document what proof of residence is required unless a full-timing rate has been agreed and paid.

I have been full-timing for 5 years with 'proper' full-timing insurance. Yes, it's more expensive than normal motorhome insurance but Comfort are fully aware of what I'm doing and my van is fully covered.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I'm the same as Maz. I have a full timers insurance with comfort.
I believe that they are the only company who offer this.
Your problem may be if you have a self build to insure.

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
I keep drifting back to this thread because I'm now in a situation where I could actually do this and I think it would be good for me.
So from reading these posts:
1. I must have an address here in UK even though I'm living in a motorhome.
2. The only insurer is Comfort full-time policy - which is legal as long as you have above.
3. The address can't be a mailbox type address but a friends/relatives address - because of getting the full-time insurance legally.
Is that correct?

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I keep drifting back to this thread because I'm now in a situation where I could actually do this and I think it would be good for me.
2. The only insurer is Comfort full-time policy - which is legal as long as you have above.
3. The address can't be a mailbox type address but a friends/relatives address - because of getting the full-time insurance legally.
Is that correct?

Hi roadster,, I thought if you had proper full time insurance, you only needed a contact address,, I thought a po box or office run address was fine??? ( how much do comfort want mate? I may need it too? ). X. Ian.

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Hi roadster,, I thought if you had proper full time insurance, you only needed a contact address,, I thought a po box or office run address was fine??? ( how much do comfort want mate? I may need it too? ). X. Ian.

Comfort I think charge around a grand for a years full-time policy, but you need a UK address which has to match your DVLA address. Not sure if a mailbox will be enough, read through this thread there seems to be differing opinions on it!
I'm confused.com!

MoKa

Free Member
Jun 22, 2016
STIRLING
Funster No
MH
Toyota Previa conversion
Exp
Newbies, preparing to full-time after house sale
Does anyone know if a business address would be acceptable? We already worked out that we can register on the voters roll near our business as having a 'local connection' so I'm wondering if we could use that for everything. We would be full timing near to our business anyway and picking up mail daily.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Is that correct?
I read that boatmail has several driving licences registered at his address so if John still allows this it could be the answer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back