Newbie with issues to start full time living

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by newtovanlife1, Oct 23, 2015.

1. newtovanlife1

newtovanlife1 Read Only Funster

Hi everyone! looking to go full time in a van conversion early next year maybe a coach built depends on funds anyway will be not going to sites unless i need to once in while will be using any places i can park up with no problems such as where the HGV park at nights on roads.
    there is a few problems due to personnel reasons i will not have an address for things like DVLA and insurance and i dont have anyone i could use. and as you need an address for insurance for the van how do i stay legal? if something went wrong and i needed to claim i would not want to end up with nothing which can happen. also do the police bother you if your parked in places like i have said?

i am all new to this and looking for any advice from people who have been there cheers!

2. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Hi from East Sussex and :welc:
    I'm sure some full timers will be along to answer your questions later but I think an address is essential

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

The short answer is you can't.

You might get some suggestions about dodges and grey areas but that's all they will be.

The vehicle has to be registered to an address as does your driving licence.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome. We are fulltimers but we use a relatives house as our address. We pay council tax and are on the electoral roll there and we stay there quite a bit too.

As much as we wanted to be totally independent we could not find a way round not having a UK address. You have to exist somewhere otherwise you will never get insurance.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

How do " travelling people" get around this?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have been fulltiming for well over 6 years now. I am afraid the bad news is you will need an address.
    I used a Physical mailbox with mailboxes etc. However the DVLA a couple of years ago decided they didn't like that and forced me to use a real domestic address.

You may get away with things initially but eventually you will probably find something where you need a real address. This can be a friend or relative but I think I would recommend you get this sorted out up front rather than having to panic when it is forced on you.

I hate the fact that we are penalised in this way but it is what it is and we have to deal with the world as we find it not as we wish it to be.

• Like Like x 2
  7. busby

busby Funster

How do you pay council tax for a relatives property,,,very confused..BUSBY.

8. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

They probably pay as additional occupants I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

hi new,,i am planning to do exactly the same ,and this prob has been pointed out to me on more than one occassion, i have a friend who is going to rent me a room and because they already pay council tax they will have no increase with me being a lodger,i think its only in the case of a single person that you get a discount,i am sure that the more people that are registered to the address is no extra charge,,, unless they get the 25% single occupancy discount,,,if im wrong im sure someone who knows more on here will tell me,,,good luck,

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Oops!

11. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

lol what did i say wrong judge? lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You'll find plenty of places to legally stay full time, some you'll pay for others you wont. Of course you need to think about water and waste and this can be a problem for some.

There are thousands who full time without a pucker address on their driving licence, they don't worry about it, its hardly the crime of the century. But if you don't want to break the law, you can change the address on line for free, so you could if you wished, change it every time you move campsites and remain totally legal. As for the log book address. Gromett is right, you can't use a Post Office Box but you can use a virtual address, like these guys provide, I know many who do so without issue, DVLA are only interested in ensuring they can contact you and that the data they sell the parking companies is correct and you are contactable.

Often touted as a big barrier to full timing the reality is the address issue is easily overcome.

13. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Yes that's correct. MIL used to get a discount for single occupancy, we now pay the difference.

• Like Like x 1
  14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Correct... Insurance companies require a physical address where they can contact you.. this can be a c/o.. a friend or relative.. You also need to declare you are full timing, ie motorhome is your main residence.. which means a full timers policy..

To my knowledge Comfort Insurance are the only ones who provide full timing cover.. and it's on a 'case by case' basis .. so you need to enquire.. it's not cheap.. around £1000 .. but as you are not paying council tax, utility bills, mortgage etc.. it's still a lot cheaper than living in a house.

I've no doubt some fulltimers 'wing it' on a standard motorhome policy.. it enables them to pay the VED.. but non declaration of full timing to the insurer voids the policy., so in effect they are uninsured and driving the vehicle illegally.

Lots to consider.. and there are several hurdles, but as said, all are surmountable..

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Eve

Eve Read Only Funster

We did it for 10 years,and used my daughters address,make sure you go on the system for voting as this is were everyone including insurance check up on,it's public knowledge.
    We use to park on there drive and sleep when at home,and was told that invalidates the insurance,you would think sleeping in the van ,less chance of being stolen ,but it does not work that way?????

I would recommend you buy all the airs books,if planning Europe,treat it like abig learning curve don,t rush it enjoy it,people are very kind and will help you .
    I never regretted this wonderful life style,circumstances forced change,just enjoy.!!!

• Like Like x 4
  16. shane the nomad

shane the nomad Read Only Funster

Well done for taking the plunge,Go for it,One of the best things i ever done.love to wild camp in remote areas. Not totally independant as you need water and waste outlets.Easy to sort in france with service du camping car. Look like a petrol pump,but you can fill fresh water and empty both tanks for e2 - e5 Cheaper than chips !! As for Address for insurance/driving license,Family and friends are best bet if they are ok with it..Good Luck Have Fun,Your on the best site for help and tips and knowledge

• Like Like x 2
  17. Crusty jack

Crusty jack Funster

many peeps use the boatmail website; they provide you with an address and forward your mail to you as agreed. Toby Trux

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Hymer Mike

Hymer Mike Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  19. busby

busby Funster

That was THE POLL TAX..BUSBY.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster