newbie, with a question on layouts (1 Viewer)

firebird123

Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
what are the benefits of main bed location,ie end bed or mid bed,or fixed bed, getting a Motorhome soon but this part confuses me?

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
If you don't mind making up the bed each night then you just have to look for the layout that suits you during the day. The exact positioning of the bed won't make that much difference.

We have a fixed bed which means that it can be left made up and does not interfere with anyone wanting to stay up later in the lounge area. We lose some day time space but it suits us better.

Each to their own...

Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
what are the benefits of main bed location

There is a huge benefit with over cab bed, huge permanent bed and living space free.

You do pay in diesel.

Put a fixed bed "down stairs" and a huge amount of available space is taken up to be used only 1/3rd of the time.

Every square mm of a MH is priceless.

Now move on to cooking, some layouts are appalling.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
As others have said it's all down to your preference I have a side French bed but would prefer an island bed but could not afford one so it's horses for courses.:thumb:

Upvote 0

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Main factors relate to do you want to make it up each night, is it easy to get into or out of for both parties should the need arise.
Of course an island bed that you can walk around like at home is ideal and overcomes both problems but takes up a large amount of space and is most likely to be found in an RV. It also allows one party to go to bed whilst the other stays in the lounge area (this can also work on non-speaking days :ROFLMAO:)

A 3/4 bed (access from one side) - making up may be more tricky as one side is against the wall and one party may have to climb over the other to get out. It still takes a lot of space although a bathroom maybe squeezed alongside. Allows sleeping staying up as mentioned.

A lounge area that converts to a bed at night doesn't have the space problem but probably means both parties have to go to bed at the same time and many find making an unmaking of the bed before you can get your living space back and particularly if on longer trips becomes tedious.

A pull-down bed, as mentioned, overcomes many of the difficulties related to space but then you must ask about ease of getting in and out and particularly if the bed is sideways - then someone will be trapped on the inside :Eeek:

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Its not only the bed location but also the bed sizes. Some of the so called double beds are to my mind large singles. Try and view as many layouts as possible and make sure you lay on the beds. Ask to see them made up if they are formed from a lounge area.
Research, research, research, can save a lot of tears and wasted money. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We've gone for 2 long singles either side of the van which can be pulled together to make a bed 2 mts x 2 mts.
When looking for our van, we've laid on loads of beds, we started quite gingerly having a quick lay down then got so bold we nodded off in a vantage at the NEC :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy your search, from my limited experience what starts out as mind boggling soon makes sense and if it doesn't there are plenty of really helpful folk on here:thumb:

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
If you have Duvalays, there is vitually no bed making, just unroll on to bed and you have it all ready in an instant.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Choosing the motorhome is difficult. It needs to suit your needs and unlike cars you cant get easily exactly what you want unless you build it yourself or have it built from scratch.

My advice on beds

1. dont be shy - get on the bed and try it

To the amusement of some dealerships both my husband and I tried out the beds together, the difference in length and width of beds cannot always be seen just by using your eyes and as we found out can be extremely deceiving in some layouts.

3. Settee layouts into beds

The bed sizes vary enormously back lounge settees make up different size beds depending on the layout.

2. how fit are you?

Can you easily turn the dining table and chairs/benches or settee layouts into a bed and then change them back again?

Having a bed that turns into a table as your main double is okay if you are young fit and healthy. Yes in the summer you can leave it set up as a bed dependent on weather and have your meals alfresco/outdoors. In winter and bad weather changing the bed into a table and the table back into a bed can be cumbersome and especially if you have back problems, can be a nightmare on a bad day.

If you are looking at a model that has these features, change it from bed to table and back again or from lounge settees to bed and back again BEFORE buying.

3. Headroom and Sex in the motorhome

No one else is likely to mention this, but some beds are high up and some have plenty of ceiling height. Make sure you lay on the bed and at least sit bolt upright. If you are banging your head on the ceiling, light or cupboards, then you will injure yourself at 3am in the morning when you are suddenly woken up by something and end up whacking your head and knocking yourself out.

Testing this out and getting used to it is especially important in motorhomes that have garages with a high bed and if you are looking at sleeping above the cab. The mattress to ceiling gap varies widely with cabs above beds so make sure the mattresses are in place when checking this space out

The chicken test

Cookers and ovens are deceiving in size too. I horrified some dealers by taking a full chicken with me to see whether it would fit in the oven (as I do cook roast dinners when away). It was amazing how big some ovens appeared from the outside but would not take a full size chicken on the inside.

Hope this is helpful

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back