tagaxlepete

Free Member
Nov 13, 2013
chester
Funster No
MH
A class tag axle
Exp
Hi all, new here and looks like a FUN group...used to have a California and then an A-Class and recently stepped up to a tag axle.

After a weekend in Snowdonia (Bedesgellert) navigating fairly narrow passes after passing my LGV test last week (total cost inc. one retest was £1200!!!!) I'm wondering if anyone has learned any lessons with their overhang the hard way?!?

Would like to avoid wrapping it around anything and not too proud to ask for advice!

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Plenty of practice, look on youtube seen demonstrations of driving motohomes and RV's allowing for the length and overhang.

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
get a metal bumper fitted to protect the plastic, learnt the hard way,i have hit a few things

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
yep. when driving narrow lane and you need to pull in to let oncoming vehicles pass "DO NOT" pull too close to nearside hedge...:Eeek:

you need to leave at least a few feet to ensure you can pull out without the back end hitting the hedge or the need to drive 10 meters or more in a slow pull out to get away from the hedge.

it also a watch out when coming up to roundabouts where there are 2 lanes that are narrow same applies but this time you risk hitting the car in the outer lane.

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Echo the previous (Phild) - same applies when pulling away from fuel pumps - wouldn't want to collect one of those on your rear end :whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Watch where you park too - we parked at the side of a road once and while we were away from the van the car which we'd parked behind, leaving plenty of space, had left and another one had parked about 3' from our front bumper. Due to the bollards on the pavement we couldn't swing out because the backend would've clouted the bollards. Had to wait till the car owner came back, fortunately only an hour later. :RollEyes:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Plenty of near misses. What annoys me is when you are in a supermarket car park and you hunt out the isolated space with plenty of room. On your return why have people always parked on either side of you ?:swear:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back