Newbie with a couple of questions (1 Viewer)

aduna

Free Member
Oct 20, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Im New
Hi All
I am newly interested in motorhomes and a have a couple of questions after visiting the NEC today.
1. Why are Coachbuilt Motorhomes better value than panel van conversions?

2. I have a new lwb Citroen Relay which I use for work, I am thinking of having it converted in a couple of years whens its time for me to get a new one, could you let me know a ballpark cost for a professional conversion, also recommend any companies to do this.

Many thanks in advance

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would think a pro convertor would want 10/ 12 k to do a full conversion on a lwb relay ive spent close to 6k on mine for a very high spec finish without labour you could do it cheaper but i have 180 watts of solar big batteries and undeslung gas tank all i need now is cruise controll

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes they are expensive, but we wanted one. :winky:

A lot of people do their own conversions, but I would say buying all the parts and its very time consuming, would cost more than we think. :whatthe:

Google self builds, some funsters have done or doing them. :thumb:

Cant help with companies that do them, but they are around. :Smile: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Organising your own van to be converted professionally is far cheaper than buying a 'factory' product like Autocruise or Autosleeper etc.
We went down this route and we now have a van that is exactly how we want it not how a company thinks we ought to have it!. We used a company based in the midlands as we knew they would follow our spec. and budget exactly. http://www.centralcamperconversions.com/

Hope this helps :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

aduna

Free Member
Oct 20, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Im New
Thank you for the answers so far , I would be grateful to hear if anyone else has any experience of having a van converted.
Also I still cant work out why a new panel van conversion is more expensive than a new coachbuilt, when you get a lot more with a coachbuilt. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

aduna

Free Member
Oct 20, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Im New
Organising your own van to be converted professionally is far cheaper than buying a 'factory' product like Autocruise or Autosleeper etc.
We went down this route and we now have a van that is exactly how we want it not how a company thinks we ought to have it!. We used a company based in the midlands as we knew they would follow our spec. and budget exactly. http://www.centralcamperconversions.com/

Hope this helps :Smile:

Thank you for the link. If you don't mind me asking how much did your conversion cost. Thanks Adam

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi there are lots of converters around who will convert your own van ask for recomends nearer the time you want yours done :winky: I also spent 7k on bits to convert my own but did it all ourselves. (See link below:winky:) Remember that it costs the same to convert a old van as a new one so convert the newest you can :thumb: or the best shaped van you like- ours was ex ambulace, which I wanted to do rather than another panel van one.Next time who knows ::bigsmile: something will take my eye but I don't think I will be hanging onto it as long as this one :thumb:
Terry

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, panel vans can be more because of the way they are built.

With a coach-built usually the last thing to be fitted is the shell giving lots of access to fit out the interior first.

With a van conversion the shell is already in place so fitting the interior is more labour intensive.

As others have said, I would guess 10-12k to get a van fitted out to a good standard. I'm building my own and I will probably have spent around 9k by the time it's finished. That's with buying most parts trade but it is to a very high standard and exactly what I want (mobile office as well).

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Thank you for the link. If you don't mind me asking how much did your conversion cost. Thanks Adam

It was around £13000 + the cost of the van of course.:Smile:

Our van is actually in their gallery photos if that helps, (Fiat Ducato 3 berth with 2 belted seats)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

aduna

Free Member
Oct 20, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Im New
It was around £13000 + the cost of the van of course.:Smile:

Our van is actually in their gallery photos if that helps, (Fiat Ducato 3 berth with 2 belted seats)

Thanks very much for that. Adam

I also have another question , what rules are there in the UK on where you can park a motorhome at night.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back