Newbie Wanting Some Adventure (1 Viewer)

vw_1978

Free Member
Jun 30, 2015
mansfield nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
dont own one, YET!!
Exp
Im a newbie
Morning all
Im in search of as much advice and reassurance as I can get :).
Im a 37 year old single male, I work full time on afters and get every friday and saturday off, my current situation is not ideal at the minute as Im stopping with relatives after a brake up from my partener, so my choices are.... get a mortgage or do something different, if I get a mortgage my outgoings will be a minimum of £1000 a month, which doesn't leave me that much to live on for the rest of the month as I get paid monthly, I have 35 grand cash which I could use as a deposit for a house OR!! , do I buy a motorhome to live in???, I've done some research and am now looking for advice and reassurance about doing it, I live in Mansfield Nottinghamshire at the Minute and travel everyday to worksop, just past clumber park which cost me 30 quid a week in diesel so I thought if I were to live closer to work I could cut that cost, my biggest concern is the cost of places to stay, clumber park is £107 a week and thats not high season, I know I can wild camp but at the minute as a newbie I think Id want that peace of mind about security for a little while until I get into the swing of things, from clumber I could cycle to work. If I were to do it I would also need to get a licence to drive one. I would be looking to get a large (ish) Mh as I would still want to use it for travelling with the family so Im looking for 4 birth+, I love the swift kon-tiki with the lounge at the end, I'm not keen on the fixed bed at the end, anyway I'll leave it there for now, hopefully you can give me a great long list of all the in and outs of full time motorhome living and all the pros and cons of doing so too. Thanks in advance for you help.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
If you bought the m\h then pay £500 per month site fees, insurance, upkeep, fuel you would be working to keep a depreciating value item. God forbid, If anything happened to it you would be homeless again.
If you put a deposit on a house you have a home and investment. Yes, I know property can go down in value too but if chosen wisely shouldn't. Then save for a m\h?

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
As much as I would love the idea of full timing I have to agree with parknride. It make more sense to me to invest in property to give stability then save for a motorhome. (y)
Welcome to the forum by the way :welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V

vw_1978

Free Member
Jun 30, 2015
Funster No
MH
dont own one, YET!!
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks for the replies guys, not exactly what i wanted to hear but I know your talking sense. the issue is if i were to get a mortgage I'd have no money to be able to afford to anything let alone ever save for a motorhome, I wouldn't plan on stay on sites forever and have just found a campsite nearby for 54 quid a week

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if you intend staying on sites almost permanently why not get an older caravan, then you can save your pennies for a mortgage

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Try season tickets on camp sites, will be a lot cheaper, one I want to get on on the south coast costs about £30 a week on a season ticket;)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks for the replies guys, not exactly what i wanted to hear but I know your talking sense. the issue is if i were to get a mortgage I'd have no money to be able to afford to anything let alone ever save for a motorhome, I wouldn't plan on stay on sites forever and have just found a campsite nearby for 54 quid a week

Think laterally.....we camped in tents, traveled light in cars for 20 odd years when last thing we thought about was being lumbered with a big white box. We struggled on the purchase of our first flat, still traveled though! in tents:) Years later our London home worth bundles...Please Just think

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.

Hi vw - and welcome!

Try finding accommodation locally to your job - a great site for that is spareroom.co.uk - all combinations of shares on there for accommodation at good prices.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Buying a property by yourself is going to be incredibly difficult.
My advice, buy the largest property you can afford and get some lodgers to share with you.
You've got a good deposit, use it wisely.
Mortgage should be covered and you should have some money left over to save for a moho.

Think you'd be crazy to go live in a van, you're a young guy, go live with people, houseshare would be good financially and socially ...
I suspect fulltiming by yourself could be quite an insular existence, let alone a bad financial decision...

Just my thoughts, hope it works out for you !

OP
OP
V

vw_1978

Free Member
Jun 30, 2015
Funster No
MH
dont own one, YET!!
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks again guys 'n' girls, @Freespirit1, thanks but one thing I can't bare to do is pay someone else's mortgage to live in their accomodation. If I were to buy a Mh I would be planning to wildcamp eventually, its just while being a newbie I would want somewhere secure for a couple of months while i get used to it and scope out a few decent location for wildcamping. One thing that may put me off but not entirely is the deprecation, if i purchased a swift kon-tiki at 30 grand, 2nd hand of corse, what would be the depreciation year on year, if i were to do 6000 miles per year.

OP
OP
V

vw_1978

Free Member
Jun 30, 2015
Funster No
MH
dont own one, YET!!
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks @moho , sound advice, had thought about lodgers, I've had mortgages in the past and to be honest its nice not to be tied to one, I guess I admire the freedom that some of you guys have from motorhome living and was hoping for the same thing, i used to do alot of carravanning when i was younger and spent near on two years in a caravan, windsurfing everyday and loved every minute of it.
i hadn't thought of the social aspect of it though, i guess if i were wildcamping it would be quite isolating but if I were on campsites I'd meet different people all the time. I think maybe the excitement of the idea may have clouded my rational thinking, I was hoping to come on hear and for everyone to say " 'YES' do it, its the best way of life, you wont regret a minute of it", but it seems your all very honest and sensible with genuine good advice. I still haven't written the idea off yet but its making me think a lot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back