Newbie to Brittany

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Tigerbob, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Tigerbob

Tigerbob Read Only Funster

Newbie motorhomer off to Brittany in August.

Some advice on the following please;

1. Does it really cost £450 to take a Peugeot Boxer from Plymouth to Roscoff?
    2. Can anyone recommend camp sites close to the sea/beach with electric hook ups and showers in Brittany?
    3. Recommendation for sites with lots of facilities but few children.
    4. Are the French Aires good/bad worth using or don't bother at all?

Thanks for any replies.
    Bob

2. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

[*]Recommendation for sites with lots of facilities but few children.
    [*]Are the French Aires good/bad worth using or don't bother at all?

Hi Bob

We have not used camp sites in france, we mainly use aires.
    most we have used are very good some free, some with electric, some with nice grass areas.
    we have toured southern brittany, quiberon, nice aires and close to beach.
    we are off 26th May for 2 weeks, taking our dog with us this year on eurtotunnel
    happy travels

3. sedge

sedge Funster

1. I expect so, it's always been a lot dearer than Calais

2. Where in Brittany, it's big!

3. We don't use sites either, because

4. Yes they are! LOL

Suggest you order the latest 'All the Aires' book from Vicarious Books, it is due out in March. It doesn't contain ALL the aires but it has one heck of a lot of them!

4. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi Bob,

Yes to question No1. A horrendous price, isn't it?
    You would find it cheaper to sail or Chunnel across from Dover-Calais, and drive down to Brittany, and you'd see so much more on the way.

Sorry, can't help with No2.

Sorry, can't help with No3 either.

Good and bad with No4, but mainly good. We don't do sites now, unless we need to do a laundry, or recharge the batteries, (more then than now though), and even then we would use a Municipal site.

Aires are the way to go for us, but if children's needs are to be catered for, (especially teenagers), then sites are probably better.

Have a great time.

P.S. Due to French holiday times, Aires and sites will be busy in August, but if you arrive by about 14.00 latest, you may be lucky in finding a pitch/space.

Cheers,

Jock.

5. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Again can only help with 4. One thing you will find on Aires is there isnt many kids, just well behaved adults (usually)

There are some great wild camping spots in Brittany as well if you know where to look.

This site is the Aires bible. If you dont speak french you can right click on the page and translate it with bing or google translate.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Im sure there are some all singing all dancing sites but I would try the Aires first, see what you think. I get the impression you dont need to book sites anyway so if the Aires are not for you then just turf up at a site.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

1. yes

2. Sorry, don't use sites in France

3. Same answer as 2, but as it's the French and English school holidays, I imagine most sites will be busy with families, ie lots of kids.

4. French aires are generally very good, we use them exclusively, but as advised by Jock, plan to arrive early PM .. they fill up quickly by late afternoon

Best on-line site for aires is campingcarinfos they also have Aire POIs downloads for Sat navs

An aires book is a good idea, but I prefer the French publications which have ALL the aires..

see link in my signature for google map of aires we have used and recommend in Brittany

7. GIBLA53

GIBLA53 Read Only Funster

Maybe good/poor answers
    1 If that is a return price with a cabin each way ok - did you look yourself on their website . Suggest travel dates/times to be as flexible as possible look for the bargain crossings.
    2 Try the Pink Granite Coast ( east of Roscoff) Camping Valeen near Treguier i can vouch for .Treguier itself has an Aire on the river -not for me but very popular
    3 Applies especially after mid-August when all children back to school- as a previous poster said Brittany has a huge coastline probably in excess of about 700 miles and you will find a vast array of sites open until about mid-september
    4 Seen and heard about French Aires !!! obviously some good/bad but for me its always a campsite through choice so no comment
    Al. ps Brittany is in general an unspoiled quieter warmer version of Cornwall
    ENJOY