Oct 21, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hello Campers,

Newbie. Be gentle!

We wish to acquire a motorised camper. Having owned differing sized sailboats, I am quite aware that size adds more than dimensions but also considerable expense.

We are considering a B class, 7 meter size.(I found our niche) and would appreciate comments regarding which ones constitute a TOP quality camper. Which ones to avoid would also help.

Any of them have an optional diesel generator?
Any component manufacturer which must be avoided? Which are the best manufacturers of components?

Looks like the Fiat Ducato chassis is very popular. Any particular reason?

Thank you all,

Jean-Pierre

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the fun, you don't say what your budget is or why you prefer "B" class. "A" class gives you so much more space in the same length. Hymer and its derivitives have a good reputation and the build quality is obvious from the huge number of 20-30 year old vans trundling to the sun every year. The sevel group chassis which includes the fiat ducato is widely used so the price is lower than for instance a Mercedes chassis. You pay you money and make your choice. Mine is for the merc, with no timing belt to replace every few years. As far as I know only American RV's include a generator as standard although some of the older Hymers 80's-90's did have an onan petrol genny fitted. not easy to find mind you. Component wise they all use the same mnufacturers so similar items in all vans. Solar power is the answer rather than a genny given your location.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hello and welcome JPG to the site, look forward to your posts and enjoy being a member, also join up for £10 and become a fully subscribed member and it will be the best £10 you will ever spend, as there is a wealth of information on here probably the best in the UK, There is a wealth of information you need before buying your new Motorhome,
The fiat is a very popular chassis for motorhomes and is very good, the foreign made vehicles seem to have a better build quality with the habitation door opening to the right, same side to be safe in lay bye's and roadside parking places, Don't know of any motorhomes that have onboard genni's only RVs really have this facility, hope this helps so far and expect there will be plenty of members having there say to help you. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

JPG

Free Member
Oct 21, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hello Gents,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Thus far, we've only touched the surface... from my previous experience in hot climates, a GENSET is a welcome addition as well as a 2 zone AC system. However, some "garages" appear to have suitable space for a "sound proofed" genset. This will be part of the "think about" aspects.

Another question: any of the 7 meter campers have air suspension? Is it an option?

Mine will be LHD and is intended for "boondocks" camping. Northern Sweden and the likes:Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back