Nov 30, 2013
East sussex
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
1'm a newbie
Hi all, happy new year.
Our van is parked outside, we have it coverd up with a good quality breatherble cover and 2 anti moisture things.
We could run a electric lead out to the van and then plug in a small oil filled rad, is this a must or will the van be ok over the winter?We take the van for a run out every couple of weeks.
Thanks again for any advice,looking foreword to seeing you all sometime in the spring.

Steve and pat.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It's not usually necessary to have heat in the van as long as everything is drained down to avoid frost damage. Many do not put a cover on as they may damage paintwork if very windy and can increase condensation. Using it is the best way to avoid problems.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I don't cover mine or leave a heater on. concur with RR, using it is the best policy and if not a good run every couple of weeks is good practice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Over winter

Hi Steve,Pat

You will get different views on this, but our experience with three vans has been that as long as we use them regularly, we have never left them either covered, heated, or hooked up. And we have always stored them away from home outdoors. Even in winter we have never drained them down, but have always left the 12 volt supply switched off, and the taps on the sinks and shower set to hot and open (to protect them from freezing). Admittedly, our current van has a double floor with all tanks between the floors, but our previous vans were not. It is rare for us to go more than a couple of weeks between trips, but when we have, I always drive to the van and give it the once over, including starting the engine. Never fails.

Happy camping, gary::bigsmile:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I use to leave mine on EHU in drive and had heaters on timers.
Last few weeks left without hook up or heaters but take it out every couple of weeks for a run (just done one today).
Also drained down and left everything open.

Last used it about 4 weeks ago and will hopefully be away in a couple of weeks.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Our van is off-road during the winter. (Too much salt on the roads to use it up here). Like yours, it's covered by a breathable cover. If you start using heaters it's only going to create condensation. Temperatures here will regularly get into minus double figures, but we don't use any form of heat. As long as everything is drained, and you have a good quality cover, all will remain dry and fresh inside. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have ours on the drive and plugged in dont normally have any heating on when its just sitting there, when we are going away in the winter I will put the heating on low to take the chill off the van and stick the fridge on to cool the Magners.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
cover mine with cheap tarp, leave Heiki roof ajar and open door to circulate air every couple of weeks. drain heater and fresh water tank down, ensure cushions are lifted , cupboards and over head lockers open to allow circulation no probs in the past.
still manage to drive vehicle few yards to turn wheel to stop brake problems, leave hand brake of and in gear. it sometimes pays to drive onto ramps which allows rain water to drain from roof.
as before others will have different views, you can only try gathering info and stick with whats suits your circumstances.
good luck happy future travels.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back