Newbie Question - Water At Shows And Rallies

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Millie's Mum and Dad, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Millie's Mum and Dad

Millie's Mum and Dad Funster

We're new motorhomers of 2 weeks, so learning the ropes. We've just received an email from the Caravan Club about the forthcoming MH show at the Norfolk Showground next month. Its for 3 or 4 days camping and I wondered what everyone does about fresh and grey water when staying at something like this. Our tanks are 90 and 68 litres, so probably average capacity for 2008 MH. Is there usually a motorhome station to fill up and empty or do you just have to be very frugal? Ditto loo emptying?

2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

There will be fresh water supplies and an elsan point at the Norfolk Showground. You should have no problems.
    Book into the show to join the Funsters, there will be quite a few of us there to show you the ropes.
    Brisey.

• Like Like x 2
  3. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Can't comment on Norfolk as not been there, but for many large gatherings you find the pressure on the water system can be very low when everyone is arriving. It's one of the few occasions we travel full of fresh water, and you can the top up later when there are no queues and higher pressure.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Millie's Mum and Dad

Millie's Mum and Dad Funster

So do you carry a water barrel or similar? Presumably you can't drive the MH over and top up with your hose. Ditto grey waste?

5. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

Hi

We are going to the Norfolk Show, first time we have been to a show or rally. I remember reading on a Warners site somewhere that they advise you to arrive with some water on board as, like grumps says, water pressure can be low.

We always use a couple of watering cans for filling with water, doesn't take many trips to the tap to fill up.

Paul

6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We have a Aquaroll (5 gallon barrel that rolls) and then just pump it into onboard tank, we arrive with enough to get us going so no rush. Watering can is OK but it's a lot more trips to the tap than a barrel.

You will find a lot of Grey waste taps tend to dribble a bit at shows so if you are lucky it will be empty when you come to go home.

Toilet cassette dump are plentiful on the show field.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. wingman

wingman Funster

On arrival at the rally, the MH Fun Marshall's first question is, "Do you need any water?" They will either direct you to a fill-up point before you settle, or if you have a some already on board, you can top up as required using a simple 10 litre plastic container (the 20 litre ones tend to be bulky to stow and heavy when full). There will be plenty on sale at the show. Make sure you get a 'food grade' container if you are using the water to drink AND make sure that you either get one with a long nozzle, or take a funnel; otherwise you fill your shoes up more than the van!

As far as black waste goes, there are dump point's dotted around the area. These vary in appearance, but on large shows like Norfolk, they tend to be flat plastic/rubberised large square things (approx 10'x10'x2') with a few circular covered apertures in the top. Just dump your black waste in there. The trick is to be a curtain twitcher! As soon as you spot someone lugging a cassette (normally morning time at silly o'clock) watch where they go to empty it.

Grey waste? Now THERE'S a story......
    There's the 'night time crackers'. They're nocturnal folk who nip out after dark and crack open the waste tap a nat's so that a little trickles out overnight. There's the 'Full Monty' crowd who also sneak out after dark, but open the grey valve fully and finally, there's the 'Aren't I Good' brigade who have all sorts of buckets, hoses, trollies and buggies. This variety only work in daylight, walk miles to disposal and ensure you SEE that they are NOT the type to sully mother earth with washing up suds.

Oh. I forgot the 'Trailblazers'. They wait until they leave, open the waste cock and leave a trail that Tonto would be proud of!

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 4
  8. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

So which type are you Wingman? :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. wingman

wingman Funster

I'll claim the 5th on that one. @Cat53 . All I'm saying is, I'm not a 'Trailblazer' :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

So, I,m guessing you are not in the 'Aren't I good' brigade either. I think you are a cracker! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. wingman

wingman Funster

My wife thinks I'm a cracker too :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gin Palace

Gin Palace Read Only Funster

Love this! I'm learning everyday on here :clap2:I think I will opt for the nightime cracker you can't be too good in life! :drink:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

who are risking a smelly and perhaps waterlogged pitch ..

of course, much depends on the ground and how fast it soaks away

14. Mimi

Mimi Funster

What's the difference Wingman between 'grey' waste and 'black' waste?
    Thanks
    Mimi

15. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Grey can be 50 shades but Black is definately Brown! :giggler:

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Mimi

Mimi Funster

Funflair mentions pumping the water from the barrel do all motorhomes have this facility ? If not what's the answer?
    Thanks
    Mimi

17. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

We have a 10 litre food-grade water container and a flexible funnel like these (also a 5 litre container that we keep topped up in-board).
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Although I'm not Wingman I know this one:
    • grey waste is from washing-up, showering etc, & therefore although it can be anti-social (gets smellier the older it is) it's comparatively safe - but IMV still better to dump where facilities are provided - this is contentious! and there are thousands of pages about it on the forum
    • black waste is from the toilet & no decent person would advocate dumping anywhere other than where & how directed on a site; if wilding, you need to find good facilities eg public loos, or if a member, then some C&CC sites allow a 'housekeeping' visit for about £7 - again many threads with help on this one

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

No is the simple answer, it was an option on our van when it was new. You can buy various DIY pumps that you just need to supply a 12volt supply for.

Martin

19. Mimi

Mimi Funster

Thank you all.
    CWH where did you get the funnel from?
    Thanks Mimi

20. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

I use to be like this. Cart around large water cans, wheeled waste water units, small submersible pumps and the like. Then I got tired of listening to Les telling me I had too much junk and nowhere bar the toilet area to put it!! She was right, now I just carry a couple of lengths of expanding X hose, a watering can and a collapsible bucket. Strangely it's much better. Fill up on arrival if required, top up with hose or watering can depending on distance, when necessary, and empty bucket now and then. The one thing it does is make filling up more entertaining as I meet far more people and at the same time I'm exercising my wonky legs!! Oh, and it keeps Les happy too! :think:

• Like Like x 2