newbie question - tablets, ipads, handhelds - which one?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Millie's Mum and Dad, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Millie's Mum and Dad

Millie's Mum and Dad Funster

A newbie question about site finding and which handheld device to go for. We have a wireless ipad, now miraculously disappeared to daughter's house, and are thinking we probably need to invest in something more usable and dynamic anyway now we've become chuggers, rather than tuggers. we're off to Scotland in September and will be going to France next summer, probably using a mix of sites and aires and feel we possibly need to go for something with 3 or 4G with GPS to map where we are and what's nearby. A smart phone is all well and good, but a bit small.
    What do others use while touring?

2. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

We use our garmin and Chinese GPS devices for navigation. We also use our android mobile phones and nexus tablets.

3. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

4. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

iPhone on 4g so always have info in your pocket ( if have a signal), and tether to iPad for better screen size in van.

5. Ethle the wondervan

Ethle the wondervan

None necessary.

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

personally I dont get on with anything apple manufactures. therefore I have an android smartphone, android tablet, chinese satnav (about £40), a laptop and a 3g mifi(a mini 3g router)

if i get a good phone signal, i can tether the tablet and or laptop. if not i connect to the internet using a mifi. the satnav with a good sized 7" screen makes searching locally for aires, sites, fuel, supermarket etc etc. theres plenty of POI files available with all these on them