Newbie planning to rent a motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by norty, Nov 4, 2012.

1. norty

norty Read Only Funster

Hi all
    Me and the wife after talking about it for a few years have finally decided to give it a go and hire a van for a couple of weeks to tour Scotland next year.
    Found a place called Rennies Motorhomes here in Aberdeen that seem very reasonable. Since im totally new to this as anyone had dealings with Rennie Motorhomes, just wondered what they where like before I paid over some hard earned cash.
    The thing that I found strange is when I went on Google map to have a gander at there premises I cant find trace of it on Mugiemoss Road.

Thanks
    Graham

2. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hi there!

No doubt someone will come along to answer our question. I can't ...living in France make it a tad difficult:Smile:

In the meantime ...welcome on the forum!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

3. f6c

f6c Funster

welcome

Welcome aboard:Wink:

4. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

the image on google earth was taken 4 years ago (bottom left hand coner shows 2008) so it could just be that it is a recent company that has moved there since then ! its always worth checking the image date especially when looking for places to wild camp etc as a lot of changes can happen in 4-5 years ! regards garry

5. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Check they own the van

Check they supply the insurance (not through a hire agency)

You want to have a licence check - see if they do this. Legally you are meant to, some outfits do not. They need to have your permission to do so, which means a seperate consent form.

Check you have appropriate breakdown cover, that a replacement vehicle or hotel accomodation is included, and repatriation with or without the vehicle.

Check the vehicle to make sure you are happy with it - check tyres for damage, perishing and tread - you are responsible for tyres - you don't want to have to pay for one blowing because it is perished.

Check the first aid kit is present, as is fire fighting equipment and accident book.

See if there is a manual (simplified) present to show you how to work it, as you won't remember the demo!

Ask what back-up they give as regards toi equipment failure, and they amount you can spend on repairs without and with authorisation (Usually £150)

Damage deposit is usually asked for - see what amount you are liable for - as the payment you make may not be the amount you are liable for.

Buy your own damage waiver insurance!

Once you rear is covered - have fun, enjoy you holiday!