Newbie needs insurance help!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by sjwaite, Jan 14, 2010.

1. sjwaite

sjwaite Read Only Funster

Hello everyone, i'm new to the site and indeed motorhomes! i've decided to jump in the deep end and get myself one of the big american RV's to go travelling in.

I got made redundant as a care worker mid december last year and thought i'd use the free time to visit warmer climes until summer!

the problem i have this: i was recommended NFU by the chap selling the RV, so i contacted them for cover, only to be refused as i'm now unemployed.
    I'm 45, never had an accident, never had points or fines, and have been driving since 1982! so i was surprised to say the least at being refused.
    NFU said they have to refer me to the underwriter to be approved, but the lady didn't sound optimistic.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? as it's a first for me, and can anyone reccomend another insurer?
    i've tried Safeguard but they wanted me to have a tracker fitted, which is hugely expensive.

i'm puzzled! :cry:

2. johnnerontheroad

johnnerontheroad Read Only Funster

Tell them you are retired not unemployed and try Campton 01883742460, www.campton.co.uk

Dave

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

And risk being uninsured if he has a claim ??????

4. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

Try Safeguard they are very switched on when it comes to all motorhomes including RV's

5. johnnerontheroad

If he is off to visit warmer climes until summer he will not beable to sign on so he is retired, as he will not be able to claim any benifits as he is out of the country.

Dave

6. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Insurance

We are with the Caravan Club you would have to be a member but it might be worth giving them a ring. Who is your car insurance with ? maybe they can help

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You cunning devil :)

I wouldn't risk it even if there is logic to your argument.

8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Not only that, a condition of unemployment is you are fit and available for work:RollEyes: so he cant be unemployed
    what about a student of life, and your taking a gap year:Eeek: why not:Doh:

9. froghopper

froghopper Read Only Funster

retired/unemployed

this is not that complicated realy,, i am 66, retired 4 years ago, have done part time work, paid tax etc, finished last short term contract, 2 dec, last year,, went to interview , lady said if you have been unemployed over 14 days we wont employ you,, i said i dont claim benifits, i dont sign on, i dont have to be available for work,, so i was not unemployed,, i was retired again,, i had upset her so much was not going to get job anyway,,, so told her to phone job centre or bennifits office, or i was going to AGE CONCERN and complaining,,, THATS WHAT US OLDIES DO BEST,,, outcome,,, you are not unemployed just because you dont work,,, give up work to lok after sick wife, no pay, no dole etc,, you are NOT WORKING, thats all, go abroad on a gap year, travel the world, even earn a few bob,, still not unemployed,,, so just be honest, say you are not working,, if they still argue,, tell them to poke it,,, then go to CAMPTONS,,,,

THE JOB,, she offered it to me,, as she would have been my boss, said no thanks,,,:thumb::thumb::thumb:

10. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

Everything is worth a try but when I bought an RV the CC was double the price of Safeguard, they were unsure about the vehicle (nothing special about it just a Tiffin Allegro pretty standard for an RV) and went off to check with underwirters etc took them 3 hours to get back to me. Safeguard on the other hand punched the make and model into the computer and came up with a good price straight away.

Hope this helps

11. johnnerontheroad

Definition of Retired

Definitions of 'retired'Wordnet
    1. (adj) retired
    no longer active in your work or profession

I would say sjwaite was retired :thumb:

12. Groundhog

Groundhog Read Only Funster

Not certain which branch of NFU you dealt with but if you have not spoken to NFU, Louth give them a ring on 01507 600249.

Ask for Helen Ross, who is pretty clued up on RV's but only works part time (Monday and Tuesday). Assume she is unemployed the rest of the week.

I have been with Safeguard for 2 years but have a competitive quote from NFU.

13. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

Try shield:thumb:

14. bald eagle

bald eagle Read Only Funster

How sjwaite and :welcome:

regards
    bald eagle:thumb:

15. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

Been waiting a long time to find a disadvantage of being young, I use Saga and they are always very competitive.
    Sorry if I am right with my facts you are too young to qualify for their rates.
    :Smile:

16. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Insurance

I'm with Lifesure. Much cheaper than Caravan Club, although I am a member.

17. big map

big map Funster Life Member

I insured ours with Safegaurd for the first time last year. They were not the cheapest nor the most expensive and like many others I had quotes from we did have to have a tracker fitted.
    What i did find they were one of the few who seemed to know what they were talking about when it came to usrv's. I also had to use the included breakdown cover when I had an electrical problem on the Isle of Skye last July and found that to be excellant.

Mike.