Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
london
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Hello ,

I have just purchased my very first motorhome , a swift kontiki , ( yes I have been lurking here for a while and know of damp problems , but touch wood she seems ok).

I,m looking to buy a privacy room /awning , I have found one that I like ,
the motorhome has a fiamma canopy but due to age , the stickers have gone so can,t tell what model it is ,

Its a faimma privacy room 45
Fiamma Privacy Room 45 will fit all Fiamma Awnings 4.5m length and fitted at a height between 251-280cm on your vehicle.

The Privacy Room fit the following models: F50 Pro, F55 Pro, F45 Plus, F45 Plus L, F45i, F45i L, F1, F1 L

My question is , is the clip system only for new type awnings ? Are these models of canopy
s old or all new ones , I have a feeling my canopy is as old as the van 1989 :)

Any help would be much appeciated ,

I have many more questions , its all so baffling , the lovely couple we bought her from , spent the whole day talking us through everything , buts its not till you get it home and have a play , that you realise you have no idea what that does or this :) , but will leave all them questions for later

Thank you in advance for any help

Chris

Attachments

• $_35.JPG
    $_35.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 49

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi and welcome Chris::bigsmile:

Have no knowledge on your Kontiki awning as such, but thought if I reply it would bump up your post and someone might spot it:thumb:

I know what you mean about it not being until you get the van home and play around with things.........information overdose can be a bad thing sometimes:Doh:

Hopefully some of these knowledgeable funsters may be able to help you.

Margaret

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Why not take it out on a few trips first, then you can decide if you really need an awning? The majority seem to get along happily without them. Awnings seem almost obligatory with caravans but not so with MHs.

Of course you may have a specific need, such as somewhere to park a mobility scooter, but if not I would try the MH in its natural state first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi ,the clip system will fit your awning ,need to take a small pr steps when you use it its much easier to fit the top sides .We only take and use ours if we go away for a minimum week.Takes about 20mins to erect after practice ,they are a bit heavy so don't carry it unless were going to use it lol. Enjoy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chrisb5661

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
london
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Thank you all for your quick responses ,

My main reason for wanting a awning is we have large family , and would need somewhere for the older ones if they wanted to come with us ,

Are there alternatives? What do other motorhomers do on site ?

So much to learn

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you all for your quick responses ,

My main reason for wanting a awning is we have large family , and would need somewhere for the older ones if they wanted to come with us ,

Are there alternatives? What do other motorhomers do on site ?

So much to learn

Hi Chris, welcome to the fun house! :thumb:

How many of you will there be 'normally' and how many if the 'older ones' want to join you?

If you are intending for the older ones to sleep outside, I'd suggest instead that you get either a tent with a sewn in groundsheet - something that you can stand up in so you can also then use it as a separate kitchen area/storage tent for yourselves, but not too big. Alternatively a drive-away awing with an inner sleeping pod (Outdoor Revolution Movelite range have removable sleeping compartments) and are mainly used without the sleeping pod as an extra 'room' etc.

As for a Safari room, I wouldn't go down that route as they are not as well 'sealed' so you do get draughts etc something that you won't with a tent or drive-away - safari rooms are more expensive too. Have a look on Ebay as you can usually pick up drive-away awnings much cheaper than buying new, same goes for tents too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
having used privacy rooms in the past i wouldnt use one again. to answer your question the privacy rooms come in a range of heights to suit the height of the awning box. yes you can make them fit but they dont like a stiff breeze let alone gale force winds

we use a khyam motordome, which is far more resilient, easier to put up and can be bought with sewn in sleeping pods. perfect for the extra accomodation

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi and :welcomefunster:

Have to agree with Minx.

The safari rooms are expensive and not well sealed from a draft point of view.

You may wish to consider once you stick an awning of this type on the side your mobility is shot. One of the great advantages of an MHF is roaming around in style and comfort.

I'd give serious consideration to a drive away or tent for the older ones. Before committing might be worth asking the older ones if they have any views, as they would be sleeping in it. Having said that you also need space for entertaining them. So........ It's down to what suits you and what you can afford.

Good luck :thumb:

Upvote 0

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
A friend of our has just bought a Vango Airbeam drive-away awning, something like this: Broken Link Removed

No poles and a doddle to put up. Could be worth a look:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chrisb5661

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
london
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Thank you thankyou ,

After listening to all your advice , I have decided not to buy a safari room , instead I,m looking at the outdoor movelite xl awning that minx suggested , seems much more convenient :)

I was wondering if there is a topic on forum like the top 10 must have things in motorhome ?

I just keep worrying that we will go away and not have the most essential things we need :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back