Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Arca Europa 610
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, we've always been tent campers but are now upgrading into camper vans. We're on the point of buying an Arca Europa 610 (1986) but as a total novice I don't understand how to deal with the toilet waste. It doesn't seem to have a detachable canister (as I was expecting) just a pipe. Does anyone have any advice on this or experience on conversion to a canister?
Thanks.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Hi,
According to this link it has an RV type 50 ltrblack water holding tank. Drive over waste disposal to empty.

Link Removed

Paul

OP
OP
T

Tamarandrick

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Arca Europa 610
Exp
I'm a newbie
Newbie advice

Thanks Paul. Very grateful for the link there's loads of info - brilliant.

Have you had any experience with doing this - is it tricky? Any tips?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Afraid not. Mine has standard cassette. There are a number of members with RV's / A clas who will probably advise later today

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Paul. Very grateful for the link there's loads of info - brilliant.

Have you had any experience with doing this - is it tricky? Any tips?[/QUOTE]

We have a black tank and have had a few technical issues

1. Some sites do not have a manhole type disposal point, only a conventional Elsan points, typically with raised sides. We depend on gravity to empty, as you probably will, so you need a ground level emptying point. We now carry a bucket, so if our toilet tank is full and site has raised disposal point, I decant a bucket full or 2 and deposit in elsan point. Not the nicest of jobs but quite quick

2. Do not confuse grey water disposal points with black water, particularly if you use chemical in your toilet which technically you don't need. But some sites have combined discharge points

3. I would suggest you get a short hose to extend the outlet, you need to be a precise parker to hit some of the smaller manholes we have come across, we have 2 extension hoses, one about 1.5m long another about 3m that also join together, some sites do not have the option to drive over

4. A useful tip if you use an extension hose, drop your grey tank through same hose after toilet to clean it through

5. Another tip, when you have emptied either or both tanks, disconnect hose carefully from MH and lift up and walk towards the discharge end, this will empty the hose to avoid the contents in any loops in hose emptying over you when you roll it up

I am not convinced black tanks are best, but I do remember how small the cassettes were, or how quickly they filled to be more precise, and not so small or light when carrying!!

Have fun

David

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
black tanks on European vans are a right pain in the backside. not all campsites have facilities for them as they are so rare. they also tend to stink and especially as a novice are very hard to cope with

converting to a cassette toilet can be done but is very expensive as it means changing the toilet and cutting a new access door in the van wall. not worth it on such an old van

if you do intend to buy this old van, make sure you check thoroughly for damp as repairs may well cost more than the vans worth and parts are hard to get for rarer vans. wouldn't want it to spoil your first step away from tenting, as owning a motorhome should be a fun experience

OP
OP
T

Tamarandrick

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Arca Europa 610
Exp
I'm a newbie
thanks paul. Very grateful for the link there's loads of info - brilliant.

have you had any experience with doing this - is it tricky? Any tips?[/quote]

we have a black tank and have had a few technical issues

1. Some sites do not have a manhole type disposal point, only a conventional elsan points, typically with raised sides. We depend on gravity to empty, as you probably will, so you need a ground level emptying point. We now carry a bucket, so if our toilet tank is full and site has raised disposal point, i decant a bucket full or 2 and deposit in elsan point. Not the nicest of jobs but quite quick

2. Do not confuse grey water disposal points with black water, particularly if you use chemical in your toilet which technically you don't need. But some sites have combined discharge points

3. I would suggest you get a short hose to extend the outlet, you need to be a precise parker to hit some of the smaller manholes we have come across, we have 2 extension hoses, one about 1.5m long another about 3m that also join together, some sites do not have the option to drive over

4. A useful tip if you use an extension hose, drop your grey tank through same hose after toilet to clean it through

5. Another tip, when you have emptied either or both tanks, disconnect hose carefully from mh and lift up and walk towards the discharge end, this will empty the hose to avoid the contents in any loops in hose emptying over you when you roll it up

i am not convinced black tanks are best, but i do remember how small the cassettes were, or how quickly they filled to be more precise, and not so small or light when carrying!!

Have fun

david

OP
OP
T

Tamarandrick

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Arca Europa 610
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's really brilliant advice. Thank you very much.

OP
OP
T

Tamarandrick

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Arca Europa 610
Exp
I'm a newbie
black tanks on European vans are a right pain in the backside. not all campsites have facilities for them as they are so rare. they also tend to stink and especially as a novice are very hard to cope with

converting to a cassette toilet can be done but is very expensive as it means changing the toilet and cutting a new access door in the van wall. not worth it on such an old van

if you do intend to buy this old van, make sure you check thoroughly for damp as repairs may well cost more than the vans worth and parts are hard to get for rarer vans. wouldn't want it to spoil your first step away from tenting, as owning a motorhome should be a fun experience

We're going to have one final check before we buy and so will be checking for damp as you suggest. I think I agree about it not being worth the conversion costs, we'll have to become experts I think in black tank maintenance - I just hope we get the hang of it quickly!! Thanks very much for your advise, really appreciate it.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a black tank in the Hymer and a Porta Potty in the Wagon so I have ongoing experience with both...

It is funny how you quickly learn stuff when you need to...

...in all the usual places I visit in Portugal I have acquired knowledge about where there are suitable drive over man holes for emptying...

On my recent trip to Malvern, France was no problem as there are dumping points all over the place and in the UK we only needed one place... (but emptied twice just because we could)...

... but the Sundowners (Nigel) demonstrated the ULTIMATE black tank emptying system which RV bods know all about...

The macerator...

This 12 volt powered device is fixed onto the waste pipe of the tank... a normal sized hose pipe runs off to the toilet/dump point and you switch on...

It is like a domestic waste disposal unit... a revolving blade inside "chops" everything up (like a blender) and a pump sends it all off down the pipe to the loo...

Magic!

JJ :Cool:

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I have a black tank in the Hymer and a Porta Potty in the Wagon so I have ongoing experience with both...

It is funny how you quickly learn stuff when you need to...

...in all the usual places I visit in Portugal I have acquired knowledge about where there are suitable drive over man holes for emptying...

On my recent trip to Malvern, France was no problem as there are dumping points all over the place and in the UK we only needed one place... (but emptied twice just because we could)...

... but the Sundowners (Nigel) demonstrated the ULTIMATE black tank emptying system which RV bods know all about...

The macerator...

This 12 volt powered device is fixed onto the waste pipe of the tank... a normal sized hose pipe runs off to the toilet/dump point and you switch on...

It is like a domestic waste disposal unit... a revolving blade inside "chops" everything up (like a blender) and a pump sends it all off down the pipe to the loo...

Magic!

JJ :Cool:
Not when the pipe comes off:ROFLMAO: its amazing how quickly an area can clear:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

zombies

Free Member
Sep 8, 2013
South West
Funster No
MH
Had one, want one
Exp
Hi

Just found this post after searching for Arca for sale on google.

I had an Arca 530 Europa for a short time in 2005/6.

Bought on a whim really but decided to drive it to Greece for winter
Didn't get there as we broke down in the Frejus tunnel and managed to get to through to Asti and a garage got a water pump for it.
Never got to Greece, went to Corsica instead and got back home, in France at the time.
There were a few other issues, turbo not working properly despite it being new!

After the stress of that trip decided to sell it and get something more modern, which we never used and sold it on.

My thoughts on this van.

Well, im looking for another, so it had some affect on me.

They are noisy.
Didn't like the toilet system, initially I thought it was a better system but not everywhere does this type of emptying so I would get rid of the tank and get a chemical one, easy job, plus our tank leaked and you could smell it everywhere you parked up.
Brakes are old school so can be problematic, mine were okay tho.
Mine was a 2.3td Peugeot. When the turbo worked it pulled nice, when it didn't it was 10mph up hill on a motorway near Mont Blanc!
Smoked a bit as well but probably all linked
Steering on mine was not powered but wasn't too bad, not great tho.

Very comfy tho, more so than the newer Ford (95 model) I had.
Liked the pull down bed, keep it made up as well.

Didn't like the exterior tanks so would look at upgrading these, getting rid of the toilet waste.

I am waiting on the owner who bought mine to see if he still has it.

I would have another but I know id have to work on it.

If you want something different, get one, if you want hassle free, look for a newer model, Arca 540 scout for example.
My Ford was okay, a 1995 Granduca, non turbo but pulled nice.
I hope I get another but the other half isn't keen!

Let us know.

Lee

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back