Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
I cannot make my mind up, to buy a MH or not ?
It is a big outlay, never done a lot of camping, owned a caravan once, but did not like it, I just see it as an escape, my trouble is my partner is not keen.
I am Bruce and my partner is Pat, we thought of hiring to try it out, but it is expensive, I thought let us get a MH, and just try that way, what do you think, am I putting the cart before the horse ?

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
What part of owning a caravan did you not like ? Interior spaces in motorhomes are very similar to caravans. You still have to empty the loo and wastewater etc.
Its an expensive mistake if you don't like it. Try and research as much as possible.
Good luck with your decision.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
1st Welcome

2nd we love it

3rd its not for everyone so as above.

If you do like it it will be the best thing you ever do.

Mel

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
my take on the merits of a motorhome is this . people who arrive at the decision to buy one as a result from enjoyable memories and experiences of campiing via tent /campervan etc [even in the rain ! ] will usually love it !![ because, it will be perceived and appreciated as a massive improvement of facilities etc ]. the people who dont seem to get on with the concept are the ones who buy into motorhome ownership as a change from 4* all inclusive beach holidays etc. [because no matter how fancy or expensive the van may be YOU WILL STILL BE CAMPING!!] there will always be something to fettle/adjust/alter etc and if this is not your thing then you will never be happy. the motorhome will start to be seen as a downgrade move and any little problems or misshaps will turn into major calamities that will ruin the whole experience !! ps by the way, i use the word YOU as a generalisation and it is not personally directed at the OP who i think is very wise to raise these doubts now, rather than later, im sure there are a lot of people out there who could have saved themselves a lot of money and hassle if they had done the same !! kind regards garry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
If you are not BOTH sure, don't do it. Try before you buy.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
You mention that hiring is expensive.

We hired twice before making our mind up about buying a MH and I think the hire costs have saved us from making a potentially very expensive mistake.

I urge you to hire a motorhome for a long weekend with a layout that you THINK might work. It's an experiment and you might enjoy yourselves. It'll give you a baseline to establish what works and what doesn't and it will massively help shape your future potential purchase.

If you don't enjoy it, then it's a few hundred ££ rather than many thousands spent.

But, yes, what exactly was it about caravans that you didn't like?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back