ccmooz05

Free Member
Oct 16, 2010
NSW, Australia
Funster No
MH
None yet :(
Hi all,

We're looking at buying a motorhome soon and we have been looking at everything that's for sale here in Australia. Well we have to pay an arm and a leg for vans that don't even look that great. :Sad:
We're originally from Holland and rented a Hymer B644G for 3 weeks last year when I took my kids to see a bit of Europe and as quite a few of you will understand.... we want one!!

Here's the problem.. nobody sells them over here:Eeek: don't ask me why....
Now we are looking at importing one from the UK.
Have you got any advice on where to look... due to all the import rules here we have to import something from before 01/01/1989, which you dont find on the dealer sites, trust me I searched and searched and searched some more.

We need a 5/6 berth one with a bed/ diner in the back, diner in the middle and the over cab bed, diesel, (automatic would be super:winky:) Oh and it has to be RHD (otherwise we have to convert, with costs a fortune) anyone have any ideas where to look next?????

Thanks for reading, Marjon

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi and welcome ..

the biggest selection of used Hymers both private and trader is to be found in Germany ..

Link Removed

however, there will not be many RHD

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi margon and welcome..

ebay uk is a good starting point.

first one i came across but its LHD.

Link Removed

only needs a pair of RHD lamps to convert unless you have different rules in australia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ccmooz05

Free Member
Oct 16, 2010
NSW, Australia
Funster No
MH
Thanks ScotJimland, I just had a quick look and saw some really nice looking older Hymers that would maybe suit us, the only problem is the LHD.
I asked a few people here and they say it would cost around 12000 pounds to convert to RHD.
Maybe Hymer in Germany or the UK converts to RHD more cheaply... do you have any idea about that???

Again thanks for your help, Marjon

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ccmooz05

Free Member
Oct 16, 2010
NSW, Australia
Funster No
MH
@ pappajohn, thanks!! but yes unfortunatly there are about 20 pages or something of stupid rules here:cry: very frustrating! Just makes it very hard to look for something, but we'll keep at it, I'm very patient :winky:

@ dylan, Thanks ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I asked a few people here and they say it would cost around 12000 pounds to convert to RHD.

i assume by that amount it has to be fully converted for australia.

IE: steering, dashboard and controls moved over to the right ?

do you not have any LHD vehicles in oz ?

certainly not worth the time and cost even on a new motorhome.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks ScotJimland, I just had a quick look and saw some really nice looking older Hymers that would maybe suit us, the only problem is the LHD.
Maybe Hymer in Germany or the UK converts to RHD more cheaply... do you have any idea about that???

Again thanks for your help, Marjon

Hi .. did you make a mistake.. one extra zero ?

surely not £12k to convert .. :Eeek:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun.
you can only try a search on ebay for RHD Hymer
however I don't recall ever seeing a RHD of that age so a rare as hens teeth.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Ilived in Revesby NSW for ten years, during that time I bought an old NZ Forestry Gang Bus for A$1500, converted it myself, altogether worked out at about A$3000 extra, that included a short block Chevy V8 shoehorned in the front, as time (and money) went on we included a genni and a/c . My advice is to look local for a suitable vehicle and convert it yourself. Forget importing, the cost is neither justifiable nor recoverable, and of course, the dreaded Pink slip! and the "Complience Plate" More unjustifiable expense! We spent a lot of time on the Central Coast around The Entrance and Budgiewhoi, good fishing there anywhere from Nora Head to Snapper Rock Furthest north we went was Cape Trib.
Happy Nomading

Just had another thought! why not phone one of the hire companys Koala etc to see if they are selling off any past their use by date, they generally sell them of once they've reached 60-70,000 Kilometres a mate of mine picked one up for 22K took another 8K to get it the way he wanted it, Worth a try?

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Welcome to fun
I know you have your heart set on a Hymer-----but--- I can't imagine it being economically viable to import one------it's not impossinle of course--------we just met a couple on route 66 ( USA) who are importing a 1953 coach (camper)-- they have to convert to RHD amd they also intend to swap manual 'box to auto !!!!!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Japan are RHD---do they have any proper size campers---just a thought !
Good luck with tour dream
Nigel & Pamala

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Look at japanese auctions - there are three hymer dealers in japan - if there are dealers there, used will be about too!

Have a browse through the auction sites, or contact one of the hymer dealers - importing to Oz will be no problem!

Mitsubishi, Toyota and nissan all do c-class motorhomes over there, less elegant than european ones - but far more reliable!

Have a look here, http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy/motorhomes/?No=0

Though some things are expensive, there are some good bargains there!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Every vehicle imported into OZ, except from NZ, must have documentation from the makers, that also includes from any manufactorer adapting the vehicle for other uses, ie: M/Homes, that said vehicle, conforms to, OR complies with Aussie standards, hence the "Complience Plate" riveted to every vehicle, no plate no rego!
Every vehicle imported (including X NZ) must have a certificate to say it has been steamed cleaned, one trace of mud, earth, road dirt, on inspection, and it's POO TIME for you bank balance

.Save yourself a heap of hassles, source locally, D I Y !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back