Newbie looking for a brainstorm (1 Viewer)

CraigyT

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swansea, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi all, my names Craig, I'm 29 and looking to give myself a more mobile life and join the home on wheels world. I am however looking for advice on vehicle choice. I am 6'3 and I'm looking for something I can stand up in but ideally something that isn't huge in size. I've looked at van conversions and the only things I seem to able to find which would accommodate my height are huge super LWB vans which I imagine can make travelling around a little difficult.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Craig, I am 6ft 4 so know the ceiling height problem. What you may not of thought about though is the length of beds in smaller van conversions. it is not uncommon for some beds to be under 6ft long. fine for a few hours rest but impractical and uncomfortable for a proper nights sleep

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I am 6'3 and I'm looking for something I can stand up in but ideally something that isn't huge in size.

How about a phone box? Sorry, Ill go now...

Ohhh welcome Craig! Sounds like you need a coachbuilt not a panel van conversion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome young man. Hopefully some of the oldies on here will give you the benefit of their wisdom.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

Wyn

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
Hi Craig I am also 6' 3" so have the same problem.
Coachbuilt vans are less of a problem - but the choice of suitable van conversions is quite limited for me as many have beds across the width which restrict the bed length to about 6ft.

If you get a van layout with a bed along the length then you have more scope to either find one with a long enough bed, or extend the length.

In my case I have an Autocruise Alto, which in the earlier models is based on a 6m long Peugeot boxer, and has a permanent double bed at the back which points down the length of the van. I had added an extension to my side which only takes a few seconds to put up at night. The only compromise with this particular model is that the double bed isn't particularly wide. Head height is fine too for me too in this high top van.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi all, my names Craig, I'm 29 and looking to give myself a more mobile life and join the home on wheels world. I am however looking for advice on vehicle choice. I am 6'3 and I'm looking for something I can stand up in but ideally something that isn't huge in size. I've looked at van conversions and the only things I seem to able to find which would accommodate my height are huge super LWB vans which I imagine can make travelling around a little difficult.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Welcome! Our Murvi Morocco van conversion has a 6'-4" bed but they are relatively new (and scarce) so if you are looking for a second hand vehicle finding one might be tricky. But it is basically just a delivery van so can go more or less anywhere.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think going to shows might help you in your quest. You can get a feel for what different Mohos can give rather than what they appear on websites. We've had many guys over your height in our Moho and they always comment how much headroom there is but there's few about and all over 10 years old now.
Hymer-Exsis-SG.jpg

And importantly
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi and Welcome, not for your full timing but I am also over 6' and have had VW pop tops. With the roof up you get 7-8' to stand in. :)

OP
OP
C

CraigyT

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swansea, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I shall be doing a tonne of researching different vehicles and will keep you all posted, appreciating any advice in the mean time (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back