Newbie. Kit brew no bubbles

Discussion in 'Home Brew Enthusiasts' started by mjltigger, Oct 9, 2015.

1. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

So I got a basic kit for my birthday and set it off on Sunday. The kit says the be'er has finished fermenting when the bubbles stop rising after 4 to 6 days.. problem is I've not seen any bubbles yet..

I have done some research and it seems fermentation doesn't always cause bubbles anyway but in that case how do I know when to go for bottling??

Your experience is needed and appreciated please....

2. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Hi @mjltigger, you need a hydrometer to check if your beer has stopped fermenting, if it reads between 1.000 to 1.005 it has stopped fermenting.
    The time it takes to ferment depends on how warm it is where you have your beer, ideally it will be about 22c.
    If you have it in a cool place it may not have started to ferment yet, when did you make it?
    There is also a chance you could have killed the yeast if you introduced it when the beer was to hot.
    I have never had a brew not produce bubbles.
    Edit.
    Sorry, just noticed when you made it. I doubt if its ready yet.
    You do need to get a hydrometer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Time to google hydrometer lol

It is in a cupboard above the hot water tank so should be fairly warm l think .

how do I use a hydrometer? I thought I couldn't open the bucket until I was ready to bottle it?

4. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Oh and I followed the destructions in the kit which said to add the yeast after all the cold water (30 odd litres)

5. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

@mjltigger, These starter kits are a bit basic, you need a brewing thermometer as well as a hydrometer.
    It could be to warm where you have your beer, if it goes above 25c it could kill the yeast.
    The best time to start brewing is in the summer when you can leave the brew in the kitchen and the temperature should be ideal without having to worry if it is to warm or cold.
    If you put a thermometer or hydrometer in your beer make sure you sterilize them first, did you sterilize all the kit before you started?
    Don't let all this put you off, when you have done a couple of brews its simples hic.

6. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

thanks @daveandsan

i used the powder that came with the fermenter to sterilise it all. the cupboard is almost certainly not 25 degrees but I haven't Checked.

For the price of the kits and all the gear I think it'd be Cheaper to go down the pub :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

@mjltigger Once you have all the gear you only have to buy the kits. Yesterday I bought an IPA pack £19.95 and a honey flavoured porter £22.50. Eighty pints for £42.45, order that down your pub and see how much it costs.
    :drink::drink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

if your lids dont seal very well then you will get little or no bubbles but you can always listen for a his coming from the lid which will be accompanied by the brewery smell.

9. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Also lift the lid & look for foam & thats a sign fermentation has started.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Was a bit confused there as I'd just been reading @motorhome42 's toilet cassette thread :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  11. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Well I went to wilkinsons today and bought a hydrometer.. sterilized my syphon and drew off a tube full.. bang on the yellow 'bottle' section so am going to bottle it tomorrow. Very little I. The way of foam or froth on the top, certainly less than there was when I put it together and of course I can't really get alcohol because I didn't have the hydrometer when I started..

So first time out and fermentation with no bubbles.. darn it I don't know if that's good or bad..

Now I'm going to follow instructions I've found online and add the sugar for conditioning straight to the fermenter rather than the bottles because apparently then I get a more even sugar mix and the batch will be more consistent but I will do that tomorrow while I sterilize the bottles.

I'm avoiding the compression barrel at the moment because it seems you have to drink it pretty quickly if you use a barrel

12. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Oh I also bought a thermometer and it read 26 in the cupboard but only 24 in the beer so hoping there's some yeast left alive to condition it

13. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

@mjltigger, don't add you sugar to the fermenting bin unless you have two bins and you can syphon the beer into the spare bin.
    You need to leave as much yeast behind in the fermenting bin as you can, no matter how clear the beer looks when you are bottling it there will always be enough yeast carried over to secondary ferment.
    I just put the sugar in the bottles but a lot of people make a solution up by dissolving the sugar in warm water.

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If it fermented there should be a yellow tide mark of yeast around the top of the bin. And when you finally get it all in bottles there should be a thick sediment of yeast in the bottom of the bin - up to half an inch thick. If there isn't - and you can often see it as a pale line at the bottom of the bin when looking from the outside - then for some reason it hasn't fermented. Reasons for that could be too warm when yeast added or some of the sterilising stuff found its way into the brew. I always rinse out thoroughly with clean water after sterilising. Good luck with it - at the temperatures you have recorded it would probably have fermented out in as little as three days but it would have been extremely energetic for the first day or so and I wouldn't have been surprised if it had foamed over the top of the bin. If this didn't happen then this isn't a good sign in my experience.
    You could try tasting it - if it still tastes sweet then something has gone wrong. :(

• Like Like x 2
  15. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I got a mouthfull when I syphoned off and I definitely tasted beer.. I'm making IPA and right now it tastes like flat bitter. I'm seeing a tide Mark but I did not see a single bubble. The lid was bulging when I got on the chair to get at it so something I couldn't see happened.
    The instructions said that .. I haven't got another bucket but I was going to put the sugar in my pressure barrel and mix it in there before bottling.. which also means if I don't have enough bottles I can leave what's left in the barrel to drink first.

I've a mix of glass and plastic bottles. With the plastic ones I preumt I'm doing them up really tight??

• Like Like x 1
  16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It sounds as if it has worked then! I haven't used plastic bottles but I guess you do need to do them up tight and leave a good gap at the top. An inch at least I would think.

I would dissolve the sugar in half a pint of warm water first then tip that in the barrel.

17. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I get some priming bombs they work a treat I do think it has fermented out but if your not sure pitch more yeast and if nothing happens bottled it
    another way to prime your bottles is dissolve 1kg of shuger in 2ltr of water and use a syringed
    to put 5ml in to the bottle
    bill

• Like Like x 2
  18. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Well I bottled it.

I mixed the sugar boiled in some water first in the bucket.

I need to practice more with a syphone though as it kept touching the bottom and my one clear bottle (a cunning plan which I thought would let me see what's happening as the others are all Brown) has a layer of sediment in the bottom.

Definitely looks like beer and I smelled of beer after I finished.

I think if I decide to do more of this home brewing thing I will have to get a better bottling gadget.. any recomendations?

• Like Like x 1
  19. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You can get a U tube thingy to fit on the bottom of the tube but you could fit a tap to the bin and fit on this a bottling attachment which has a pipe which reaches to the bottom of the bottle. This cuts down foaming.

Alternatively, enlist the help of someone else and get them to hold the pipe near the top of the beer, lowering it as the level drops.

Don't worry about the yeast sediment in the bottle. They will all develop that after a week or so. Some bottles will just have more than others, that is all. Just make sure you decant in one smooth pour, into a jug if the bottle is too big for one glass.

20. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I always siphon the beer in to another bucket before bottling that way you get a good clean siphon in one go then you don't get sediment in to your bottles far less waste and mess
    another way is use pressure barrel bit more expense but less work
    bill