newbie in need of advice !!! (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Hi Everyone, my name is Gina I am married to Steve and we have recently gone back to a motorhome after having a few caravans !! and we love it !! we travel all over the UK but we are off to France and Spain next week with our dog Stanley for the very first time. Has anyone got any help/advice about driving through France and also about travelling with a dog. I have read so much stuff my head is in a spin about sand fly, heart worm etc. which could kill my dog if I don't protect him !! Thank You. Gina, Steve and Stanley.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We've taken dogs for years. Ignore scare stories. Just believe your vet. They know a thing or two :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
You will need vaccination and pet passport from vets and they will advise on protection for other risks. I use Advocate which is a spot on the neck treatment and this cover most of the nasties. Worm treatment needed on return journey
Happy travels

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Get a Scalibor collar as well, that will give your dog greater protection. We have been taking dogs to Spain since the passport scheme was introduced and we have never had a problem.

OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Thanks, everyone. I have his passport and his vacs are up to date. Have just spoken to the Vets they say he will need a sand fly protection collar and a worming tablet and that's it :D I am more worried about getting him home though, will the Vet over there issue me with a re-entry certificate as well as giving him his tape worm tablet ?? and does anyone know anything about a export health certificate ?? or am I just reading too much into it:rolleyes::eek:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You'll have your dog back home don't you worry ! Do you really think they're going to keep on French soil A BRITISH brexit dog?:p You'll be fine!
As for sand flies, I have seen that word a few times , thinking they were just flies, and had to look in google translation then in wiki to know about them. I'm 57 (in a few days lol!) and have spent my 3 first years in Algeria (where they are in number says wiki) and then all in France, spending all my hols at the beach , and I can assure you, I (and the doggies I've had in the past)never crossed path with any sand fly. I would have known it as allergic to such bites ! In any case this sort of insect lives where it's hot, and it's not that hot now. It's gone down a bit!

Edit @movan .... Joy ,shall I tell her about the snakes and all the charming little beasts we've got here, or do you think she's had enough for a first time?

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
:eek: SNAKES !!! If me dog doesn't come back then I don't :D see how the French like that :giggle: I'll send Steve back by plane and just park up somewhere nice.

Gina, Steve and Stanley.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
@ginam LOL! Don't worry Gina, snakes are scared of us humans and dogs just the same.
Plus it is not anymore adder season.
I understand it scares you, but it's only in very precise places. There's no risk in towns or campsites.... and if any it will just be grass snakes.

Reactions: JJ

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
or am I just reading too much into it:rolleyes::eek:

Gina, every year, millions of people move their dogs between the UK and mainland Europe and back again without issue. You've done your homework and you have this one in the bag. Stop panicking about this one and start panicking about something else instead. :)

Happy travels.

OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Thanks Jackie, I am more worried about the dog than the fact that we have NO idea where we are going till we get there :LOL: we will start off from Calais and just see what happens (y)

Gina, Steve and Stanley.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Be careful if you let him swim in some lakes by the Alps. Some have crocs in which were released by idiot owners.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
:HelloThere: & :welcomesign: From Devon
Also off to France /Spain next week but Plymouth/Roscoff route. So may pass /meet somewhere along the way of the Costa's, have fun

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Whats the name of that place in France with the low bridge / bridges that i have seen a few Motorhomes get stuck / destroyed under due to height restrictions ??
Gina i'm sure someone will know its name ,

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Be careful if you let him swim in some lakes by the Alps. Some have crocs in which were released by idiot owners.
don't be daft, the biggest worry are the vampire bats migrating from Romania

Barcud

Free Member
Sep 8, 2016
Gwynedd
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
since 2014
We took our dog over to France and Italy for the first time this year and we were away for 12 weeks. We wormed him before we went and once in the middle (so 6 weeks) and then he had dose at vets when we were due to come back we took our own tablets and they charged 19 euros.

He was fascinated by the lizards and geckos but he didn't see the black snake that moved across our pitch, but that was in Sicily.

He had his worm tablets yesterday prior to us leaving next week.

Welcome to the site (not sure I'm qualified to say that yet as I only joined on Sept 8th) they seem a very friendly helpful bunch here. Have an amazing time we will be there by the end of next week and heading down to Cevennes.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
One thing worth remembering is

You have five days after you have your dog treated by the Vet in France in which to return.

Take advantage by having your dog checked well away from the Ferry ports.

We have our dog checked near our base in Burgundy at a total cost of 11 euros. On the on occasion we had her checked in Honfleur it cost us 56euros for the same thing!:eek:

Beware!:confused:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just one thing to be aware of that no one has mentioned is processionary pine caterpillars avoid at all costs just google them but please don't cancel your trip as it is very unlikely you will see them you may see their cocoons up in the pine trees.
We have been for last five years and only seen them on the ground once.

OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Just one thing to be aware of that no one has mentioned is processionary pine caterpillars avoid at all costs just google them but please don't cancel your trip as it is very unlikely you will see them you may see their cocoons up in the pine trees.
We have been for last five years and only seen them on the ground once.

Thank you, just googled and slightly worried about this have made a note to pack a bowl exclusively to wash my dogs paws after every walk !!!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thank you, just googled and slightly worried about this have made a note to pack a bowl exclusively to wash my dogs paws after every walk !!!
Shouldn't need to hopefully see them before dogs get near to worry about.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back