Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,
In at the deep end is exactly what we are planning. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year and is going through Chemotherapy at the moment. Next year Easter onwards we plan to travel around the UK and Europe in a motorhome with our disabled 11 year old son. We plan to spend at least 20 weeks of the year on the road returning home every 6 to 8 weeks. I have spent the last 4 weeks looking at motorhomes on Ebay. Up to 5 hours per day learning values. We have looked round Brownhills in Newark to see all the different layouts. All my cars in recent years have came from Ebay maining up North even though we are in Norfolk. The motorhome has to have at least sleeping for 4 adults but ideally a 6 berth, but it has to be a bargain! Be it £20,000 or £40,000 makes no difference the main thing is the depreciation over the next 2 years.
Fuel consumpion is not important if I can keep the depreciation to a minimum. There are some bargain 6 berth twin axle motorhomes available 4 years old and at half there new price and they seem to depreciate slowly after the first 4 years. we have decided on 2 electric bikes with a extra wheel and seat on the back of one bike for my son as he cannot pedal. We have camped for many years so not completely new to camp sites and I have driven in spain before.
We are only planning to sleep on the expensive motorhome campsites once every 2 to 3 days in Europe if that is possible? Need to read more blogs to see how other people get on.
Thankyou for reading
Peter

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
peterpan44 you are :welcome: to the best site on the web. Best of luck to your good lady and in your search for your ideal motorhome. I went the six berth route for all the right reasons, and glad now that I did. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You've got your head well screwed on, I can't see how you can fail with that attitude.

Yes, you can avoid expensive campsites, especially in France. Sort of depends on what you call expensive, to me €12 cheap, €30+ expensive. French municipal sites are in the €12 range and excellent. French aires are free to €8 sort of price.

Buy the ACSI book and DVD. That get's you €11 to €15 "expensive" sites at off peak times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Peter, welcome to MotorhomeFun.:thumb:
Good luck in your search.
:flyingwelcome:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Peter, I hope your wife responds well the the therapy and that you have some great adventures in your motorhome::bigsmile: Meanwhile, welcome to the fun:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Peter welcome to fun and hope evrything works out for you. It will be a lot easier to camp in mainland europe than it is in UK without using sites have a look at the french aires book and the stelplats in germany.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi and welcome to the fun

hymers seem to hold their value quite well as do most german built motorhomes.

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Wow...first welcome...second ty for the abbrev life story so far and our thoughts are with your wife for a speedy recovery.

Its a brilliant idea to get out and about and if you cant do, what I do, go have dinner in it in the front garden and pretend you went away.

I think your open plan re camper purchase is spot on and I adopted the same ethos, ending up with a spacious american rv that I can chill in having done every type before hand over the years all the way down to 2 man pup tent walking.

This is a great social site and when you buy your van you WILL have a problem that you just cant solve on your own and the need to engage an expensive mechanic to solve it will cross your mind. Perhaps that will be the final course of action you will have to take but before you do post the problem here, I bet they solve it here in the community or at the very least put you on the right track.

Welcome once again.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
And a very warm and hearty WELCOME :welcomefunster:to you and your family. You will know the right vehicle as you walk through the door. Good luck.

Craig

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to you and your family, seems your are getting things sorted when you find a van you think works for you, yourself your wife and son sit in it on your own for (without sales person) see what the bathroom is like for you the kitchen, especially storage space.

Will a bike rack be OK or will you need a garage, take your time in a dealership trying the different layouts, then when you have a clear idea what works for you go down the ebay route if thats what is best. Good luck with your search and hope all goes well with your wife's treatment.

This forum is a great source of information which is willingly given although a good sense of humor always helps, keep us posted how you get on :welcomefunster:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Hi and welcome first I am sorry to read about your wife and wish her a full and speedy recovery:pray:
when you find a van ask on here someone will probably know all about that model/make
and remember,:flyingwelcome::active:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hiya fellow bog dweller and welcome :thumb:

There is a chap just a couple of miles from you at Ovington that often gets on fleabay who trades as lefthandmotorhomes or similar.
We have had a couple of vans from him when we started out.. Really nice chap and very helpful..

As others have said, ACSI is probably the best money you can spend if you are going to travel Europe out of season

I am over in Thetford so if you want to chat about your plans, have a look round our van and maybe get some ideas you are most welcome

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Peter and family,:welcome: to the fun and good luck with your search, its better to do the home work first, because its easy to buy the wrong van and you will know the right one straight away.

We go to the motorhome shows, and you would not believe how many vans we don't bother looking in ! :whatthe:

Decide what you need / want and then google any problems with.........................?

And see what comes up, then go and look at them. :thumb:

Oh and we are not in Norfolk......................:winky: But not far away. :ROFLMAO:

Bob and Jane.

:flyingwelcome:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Dear me, Norfolk is taking over the motorhome world. :thumb:
Best wishes to your wife and hope she makes a speedy recovery. We're not too far away either so if you want to look at a Starspirit and its pros and cons pm me and you'll be welcome. :Smile:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Peter.

Please give my love and <<<HUGS>>> to your lady.

When was she diagnosed? I found my lump on 27th March, diagnosed 13th April, Mx on 10th May.

I have had loads of problems with the chemo, and have been moved back on to FEC. AND I HAVE MY LAST DOSE TODAY WooHee!!!

I still have a year of Herceptin to get through.

Is she on the Breastcancercare website as I've had loads of help, support, and laughs from the site.

Lots of love to you too Peter as you are going through this as well as her.

June

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Thankyou very much for all your kind words and advice. We will hopefully take up some of your offers of advice in the future.

Hi Gypsylady,
Liz was diagnosed in July had a bilateral masectomy in August and has her 3rd out of 6 doses of FEC on 12th December. She may or may not have to have Radiotherapy. None of the cancer drugs will work on Liz as she is triple negative and grade 3 so only Chemo is available. It was caught early though and has not spread.

Thankyou
Peter & Liz

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hiya fellow bog dweller and welcome :thumb:

There is a chap just a couple of miles from you at Ovington that often gets on fleabay who trades as lefthandmotorhomes or similar.
We have had a couple of vans from him when we started out.. Really nice chap and very helpful..

As others have said, ACSI is probably the best money you can spend if you are going to travel Europe out of season

I am over in Thetford so if you want to chat about your plans, have a look round our van and maybe get some ideas you are most welcome

We know his daughter Gemma very well. He only have a couple of the older style motorhomes for sale at the moment

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Please do pass on our regards to him ..
I had no idea he had a daughter.. Only met his son.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi, best wishes for you wifes' treatment and I hope you all enjoy the motorhome.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Peter and Liz, My cancer was too far advanced to remove it completely and so I too went onto a strong dose of FEC .... BLOODY HORRIBLE ISN'T IT ... but hang on in there. I had radiotherapy afterwards which was a doddle compared to the FEC.....

Please do go on Breastcancercare site. Liz will receive so many little hints to make her treatment easier ... eg.... drink milk before the tablets when at the C stage of FEC... it makes the aftereffects of the tablet much much easier... Also, I guess she is having probs with the taste of food etc... everything like cardboard ... try bitter lemon drink ..... Breastcancercare also have meet ups and the friends I made there are still friends to this day. Also there is a section for HER NEGATIVE cancers so that will help you too.

Mark each treatment on a paper and cross off after each one.... when you get to half way ... it is wonderful incentive to give you strength.

I am still here. Still loving life despite it having been crappy for various reasons over the last five years. It sounds like Liz has a wonderful friend and companion in you Peter ... that is the best treatment for coming out as a survivor. Big hug to you both. PM me if you need to.

Joy :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
welcome to the best motorhome site Peter and Your wife too.

Good luck with the search, and good luck to your wife too. :Smile:

Can't offer you much advice on the Van as really dont know what your requirements are. I would say go for beds that are fixed so your not having to make beds everynight.
Why not when you find something, before buying it, tell us and we can give you the pros and cons :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back