Newbie Help Scottish tour in 6 nights and 3 kids (1 Viewer)

S

sisniper

Deleted User
Hi Guys

Many apologies if this is the wrong place.
We have just ordered a 6 birth (for me,wife, and 5,4,3 year old) for 6 nights in the 1st week of August.

However never having a motorhome before Im not sure how far you can reasonably cover in a day or evening ....

My plan is to drive from staffordshire to east coast (maybe even cambletown way a very full days driving for this) then loch Ness, and possibly north coast then a full days drive back.

What I really need are some ideas on where to stay without spending too many daylight hours on the road.

Any advice very much appreciated and thanks in advance

Simon

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Simon,and WELCOME :thumb::thumb: why not break your route into 3 hr long journeys each day :Smile: That way you will see some of this country's most beautiful places.Loch Ness caravan site is a nice site right on the loch as is Luss on loch lomond but I think you will have to book ASAP
The UK Camp Site for Tent and Caravan Campers in the UK
this will give you a good idea of where to stay or if you fancy it pull over, off road and stay there ::bigsmile: I know you said 3 kids but believe me they will probably run around and tire themselves out falling asleep long before they get bored :ROFLMAO: I think with 5 on board you will need to empty the loo every day so camp-sites will be your best bet :winky:Also remember there is nothing to stop you pulling over (safe place) and having a sandwich and cuppa,you are not in a race so the most important thing is to ENJOY :thumb::thumb: come back and tell us how you get /got on ::bigsmile::ROFLMAO:
terry

TandH

Free Member
Jan 7, 2009
Banffshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
2 year
Agree with what Terry says - you don't want to do much more than 3 hours per day..
I don't know if you know much about Scotland but our roads are not the same as in England! There are no motorways and very few dual carriageways north of the central belt (other than between Aberdeen-Dundee-Perth- Edinburgh/Glasgow) and some of the A class roads in the north are still single track with passing places! Adds to the fun though!

TandH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Sisniper and Welcome.:thumb::thumb:

I agree with both the above posts, most people do not know the size of Scotland.:Eeek:

It is far better to see a small section well and enjoy it, rather than try to do too much and miss what you are there for, to enjoy Scotland.::bigsmile:

We have been visiting now for years the latter part for 6 weeks at a time twice a year and now feel we know Scotland well, but we still get surprises.:Doh:

Hope you enjoy your trip:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Dave

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
However never having a motorhome before Im not sure how far you can reasonably cover in a day or evening ....

My plan is to drive from staffordshire to east coast (maybe even cambletown way a very full days driving for this) then loch Ness, and possibly north coast then a full days drive back.

If you haven't driven a MH then you are in for a bit of a shock. OK, on the motorway you can clatter on as long as you can afford 20mpg. But once off them you find that you are driving a big wide floppy thing which really does CLATTER a lot as you toss your crockery around on the bends.

Staffs to Inverness in a day - yes you can but I'd guess 12 hours or more and what a waste. The A9 is one of the most beautiful roads in the UK, it needs to be enjoyed. Stop at Queen Victoria's view point just north of Pitlochrie.

I've worked in Grantown on Spey, there is a good looking campsite there, this takes you along the Whisky Trail. Take in the Cairngorme tram ride up the mountain. Glorious. Nicer than Loch Ness IMHO.

Aberdeen has a fun park at the north end.

Deeside is awsome. Visit Balmoral ( if open ) go south over Glen Shee and hope to see Monarch of the Glen then Scone Palace in Perth.

You will find plenty of FULL campsites.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you haven't driven a MH then you are in for a bit of a shock. OK, on the motorway you can clatter on as long as you can afford 20mpg. But once off them you find that you are driving a big wide floppy thing which really does CLATTER a lot as you toss your crockery around on the bends.

Staffs to Inverness in a day - yes you can but I'd guess 12 hours or more and what a waste. The A9 is one of the most beautiful roads in the UK, it needs to be enjoyed. Stop at Queen Victoria's view point just north of Pitlochrie.

I've worked in Grantown on Spey, there is a good looking campsite there, this takes you along the Whisky Trail. Take in the Cairngorme tram ride up the mountain. Glorious. Nicer than Loch Ness IMHO.

Aberdeen has a fun park at the north end.

Deeside is awsome. Visit Balmoral ( if open ) go south over Glen Shee and hope to see Monarch of the Glen then Stone Palace in Perth.

You will find plenty of FULL campsites.

:ROFLMAO: Clatter along :Eeek: you need to rearrange the crockery :ROFLMAO: or change the M/H :ROFLMAO: Agree with everything else you say :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb::thumb:from a nice quiet m/h driver :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back