Newbie have I made big mistake?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tinty, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Tinty

Tinty Funster

Morning all ✋ I'm new to the forum but been reading through the threads for a month or two gaining some knowledge on MHs. On Saturday we went toHarrogate show and ended up buying a Hymer C Class 2007 model I've read Hymers are good reliable vans, now my issue is we bought from Glossop Caravans I've since read reviews on them and am now panicking! It's really took the shine off the excitement of buying the MH! Anyway hello from me I'm probably going to be asking loads of questions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Welcome to Fun...

There is good and bad in all dealers..

Dealers sell hundreds of MoHo`s.... but you only hear of the bad buy`s.... very rarely does a dealer get good praise..

You pay`s your money and takes your chance..

Just enjoy your new found freedom..(y)

• Like Like x 4
  3. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN the best forum on the net for all your motorhome questions, the Universe and beyond and I'm sure someone will be along to say you've bought one of the best vans that money can buy. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Hi & :welc:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Buyers Remorse. It's common the morning after a big purchase. I'm, sure you'll be fine. :) Yes they do seem to have a few disgruntled customers But I'm sure they have many happy one's too. Have you paid for it in full or just paid a deposit? Hopefully you still owe them money, because that's a sure fire way to get any dealer busy to make sure you are happy by putting things right. With many dealers once they have all your money it can be difficult to get the focus that they had before you paid them. Either way I would suggest you get an independent motorhome inspection and start from there. Be careful, don't let your excitement take over. Never take the motorhome or part with the cash until you have had a test drive and are COMPLETELY happy about all of the aspects from engine to habitations. All that said; you have bought a great make of van and probably have no cause for concern. Happy travels (y)

Oh and welcome to the fun :)

• Like Like x 7
  6. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

It was quite a few years ago but I bought my first caravan from glossop Caravans. it was a good van at a reasonable price and the after sales service was all that could be expected. I wouldn't have an issue if the next campervan I wanted was for sale by them.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi and welcome (y)simply go through your new van and make sure everything is working /undamaged etc before parting with your money (in full, assume, deposit paid) If anything is broken/not working make sure it's done --then ENJOY (y)-you may be lucky and nothing goes wrong so you won't have to see dealer again (y):DDon't worry about what may go wrong ;)ENJOY,ENJOY
    terry
    EDIT what Jim says above while I was typing :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We have had four 'tug' caravans from them (admittedly in the past), but found them OK. One point I always found was, any issues, forget the phone, go down there and see the boss. Things get sorted pronto that way. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  9. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Always used to ask if I could pop it in, leave it a few days. Never a problem and bits were replaced or fixed every time. Always came back clean. Only stopped taking the caravan back to them when the grp started cracking with age and paying them to chase round with sealant was getting silly.

• Like Like x 2
  10. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

If you bought it and are happy and it all works, no problem, nothing lasts forever so it will be expected for things to wear out and break as time goes on
    Dont push the panic button yet ,

• Like Like x 3
  11. Tinty

Tinty Funster

Thanks all for the welcome and advice, we have only paid a deposit and I have thought about getting an independent inspection as well, I've got my fingers crossed everything will be ok

• Like Like x 5
  12. Tootles

Tootles Funster

As long as the inspection is by a qualified person, with no 'connection' to the dealer, and the dealer is happy with that, then good idea. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Ive done this many a time! Make a purchase,,,then read into things lol, i wouldnt worry yourself to much, at the end of the day as with buying any second hand product (And new come to think of it) issues and snags come with it, jus deal with them as and when they arise, and have great fun along the way! I always look at it as the vehicle having character, doesnt feel as bad that way ;)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Hi & welcome, Hymer's are pretty solid vans, very unlikely to find any damp in a Hymer of that age the body construction is superior to most other makes, if there are any problems more likely to be with fixtures such as heating & fridge, just make sure everything works correctly.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You could have the best van in the world but if someone subsequently poorly fits an awning, a sat dish, a windscreen a solar panel or a replacement window ect ect then you could have real damp problems whatever the make.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Our second van was a Hymer - it is now well over 30 years old and still on the road. Was a fabulous vehicle and we only sold it due to a house move and the kids leaving home.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sidney

Sidney Funster

It'll be fine. It's not like you bought it from Brownhills ;)

• Like Like x 6
  18. Momo

Momo Funster

Hi Tinty and welcome to the Fun!:welc::party:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tinty

Tinty Funster

Thanks all. It's good to see that we've at least made a good choice of van! Fingers crossed it's that good we'll never need Glossops

• Like Like x 2
  20. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

Welcome to the fun here, I wouldn't worry unduly about it, you will enjoy it.
    They can all have things wrong with them, even new ones unfortunately.
    Norman.

PS, got a 2006 HYMER myself.

• Like Like x 1