Free Member
Feb 27, 2011
Blackdowns
Funster No
MH
van conversion a class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All, We have just bought a 1998 Mazda Bongo. 1st time motorhomers having previously backpacked for years... bones getting a little ancient now so need a spot of comfort!!!! Retired and spending the pennies the children thought they were going to get!!! We would like to change the forward facing back seats to rear facing does anyone know how to do this? look forward to chatting. Bongobob:Smile::Smile::Smile:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Welcome. You will find all sorts on here, from the sublime to the enjoyable ridiculous!
Great forum for advice.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi an welcome to the fun hope to see you at a rally or two.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Hiya Bongobob & welcome to MotorhomeFun ::bigsmile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Welcome Bob!
I think the bongo is a case of turning them round and clipping back down - not sure... Have a play and see what you come up with. Have you got the one with the sink unit in or just the bunk?

Don't forget...3000 mile oil service! They are fussy on that! Enjoy:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bongobob

Free Member
Feb 27, 2011
Blackdowns
Funster No
MH
van conversion a class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone for the welcome, gosh didn't know about 3000 mile oil service and we have the portland conversion with stove and sink in back as I said would like the seat and table to face back. Will have a poke around under the seat and see whats what.:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Fun..:welcomefunster:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Thanks everyone for the welcome, gosh didn't know about 3000 mile oil service and we have the portland conversion with stove and sink in back as I said would like the seat and table to face back. Will have a poke around under the seat and see whats what.:thumb:

Here you go!

There are two ways of turning the bench seat around.

The first way is to take of all off the plastic covers from the seat legs (held on by a couple of screws ) and remove the four large bolts (one on each end of the bench foot). The bench can then be lifted off and swung round and be rebolted in place.

The problem with this method is the seat will no longer slides as the slide mechanism only activates in one position.

The longer but better way is to take the bench off as above, then remove the runner covers (a couple of screws at either end) the long plastic cover parts slide out after the end covers have been removed.

Locate and remove the six bolts holding each runner down (they are under the carpet, theres two bolts each end and two in the middle, they are a little awrkward to get to but it can be done with a socket and a extention bar (14 or 16mm socket I think).

Once the runners are off, using a hammer knock the pin out of the end of each runner (there is a star shaped washer on the one side Hit the pin from that side).

When the pins have been removed from both runners, slide out the slide mechanisms, turn them around and replace them in the opposite runner.

Basically what you are doing is making the whole seat and sliders face the other way, so everything except the two seat runners are on the opposite side to what they were.

The pin should then be replaced back in each runner and washer fitted (you may need new ones if the old ones break - an auto parts place should have something similar).

Replace the runners back the way they came out (i think they only fit one way any way)

Bolt every thing back down and replace the seat facing backwards. If every thing has been fitted right the seat will still be able to slide in the runners. Bolt the seat down and replce the plastic covers.

Rear facing seats do not need seat belts so the two side seat belt retractors and belts become un-usable. I would leave them in though it`s less hassle than removing them.

See, we can tell you everything here! lol! Well worth the membership.

The service is 3000 mile oil change, 6000 filters as well as oil. 26mpg average. The engine is shared with the Ford Ranger/Mazda B2 Pick-ups. :thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi there - a welcome from us - we are close to the blackdowns and are fairly near Wellington area at the moment.

OP
OP
B

Bongobob

Free Member
Feb 27, 2011
Blackdowns
Funster No
MH
van conversion a class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wow what a great new family we've found...all so friendly and welcoming.. thank you... and a superb answer to my 1st question... a spring day job I think...Thank you all once again::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back