Jan 25, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie :-D
Hi everyone,
just thought i'd say "hello" and introduce myself.
I'm quite literally a newbie - bought a motorhome just a week ago and am finding my way around it! A lovely 1989 Swift Kontiki - petrol/lpg.
I'd been looking for about 2 years for a Kontiki and they all seemed to be down south, so when one came up in Dumfries I jumped at the chance (and maybe a little too quick I must add!!)
I drove down to Dumfries, checked it out as best I could and fell in love :Blush: felt good about the guy I was buying it from too and he seemed to know what he was talking about. He told me I didn't need to worry about the cylinder head gasket as it had been done and the engine was reliable and not a bit of a problem. It was in great nick externally and internally and all of the appliances worked - and had 12 months MOT!! Excellent!! so I parted with my hard saved cash. I am now a proud owner ::bigsmile: of my very first Swift Kontiki ::bigsmile: I got insurance sorted on the phone before leaving Dumfries and the guy i bought it from said he'd put 6 months tax on (if i gave him the cash) So he did that and I was ready to head home to Glasgow (the drive was a little hairy, but I survived!) The engine konked out a few times on the way up the road, but I assumed it was my driving as i'd never driven an lpg before.........
Well, once I got home, I had big plans for the weekend to head off - after a few runs locally, the red warning battery light came on.... then the oil warning light.....and it kept konking out at lights and approaching roundabouts. Well, I wasn't feeling good about that so got her (we're calling it Katie) checked out at my local friendly garage.
To my horror, unfortunately the cylinder head gasket has gone, alternator AND timing belt :cry: (and yes it passed an MOT in December!!) I'm now wondering if anything the guy I bought the van off told me is right!! :Angry: Ach well, will just hope for the best
It's still at the garage at the moment, so I'm hoping nothing else crops up whilst it's in....
A somewhat rocky (and expensive!!) start to my motorhome adventure, but hopefully once the work's done, it's gonna be bomb-proof!! and we'll finally get away! Wish me luck!!
Lainey

Feb 2, 2011
Travelling Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
3 years caravaning 5th year motorhoming
Hi everyone,
I'm quite literally a newbie - bought a motorhome just a week ago and am finding my way around it! A lovely 1989 Swift Kontiki - petrol/lpg.
I'd been looking for about 2 years for a Kontiki and they all seemed to be down south, so when one came up in Dumfries I jumped at the chance (and maybe a little too quick I must add!!)
I drove down to Dumfries, checked it out as best I could and fell in love :Blush: felt good about the guy I was buying it from too and he seemed to know what he was talking about. He told me I didn't need to worry about the cylinder head gasket as it had been done and the engine was reliable and not a bit of a problem. It was in great nick externally and internally and all of the appliances worked - and had 12 months MOT!! Excellent!! so I parted with my hard saved cash. I am now a proud owner ::bigsmile: of my very first Swift Kontiki ::bigsmile: I got insurance sorted on the phone before leaving Dumfries and the guy i bought it from said he'd put 6 months tax on (if i gave him the cash) So he did that and I was ready to head home to Glasgow (the drive was a little hairy, but I survived!) The engine konked out a few times on the way up the road, but I assumed it was my driving as i'd never driven an lpg before.........
Well, once I got home, I had big plans for the weekend to head off - after a few runs locally, the red warning battery light came on.... then the oil warning light.....and it kept konking out at lights and approaching roundabouts. Well, I wasn't feeling good about that so got her (we're calling it Katie) checked out at my local friendly garage.
To my horror, unfortunately the cylinder head gasket has gone, alternator AND timing belt :cry: (and yes it passed an MOT in December!!) I'm now wondering if anything the guy I bought the van off told me is right!! :Angry: Ach well, will just hope for the best
It's still at the garage at the moment, so I'm hoping nothing else crops up whilst it's in....
A somewhat rocky (and expensive!!) start to my motorhome adventure, but hopefully once the work's done, it's gonna be bomb-proof!! and we'll finally get away! Wish me luck!!
Lainey

Its great once you get going

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
welcome ... you should pick up on the posts on Scotish independance..

give you flavour of how mad this is:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thats a pretty calm attitude you got there :Eeek:

buyer beware and all that rubbish but i would be absolutely fuming at the bloke and asking for a contribution for repairs.

anyway, you have a good motorhome in the kontiki...i had two, both diesel, and had no problems with either.

good luck with the repairs and hope to see you at one or two of the funsters meets and shows :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi and welcome to Fun, Sorry to hear about your teething problems but once your sorted you will love it.
Jim
:Smile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun shame you hadn't joined first as im in Dumfries and would have had a look with you. Im sure it will be fine once youv'e got the small problems sorted out though.

OP
OP
Ltd73

Ltd73

Free Member
Jan 25, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie :-D
Agggghhhhh - If I'd only known!!

Hi and welcome to fun shame you hadn't joined first as im in Dumfries and would have had a look with you. Im sure it will be fine once youv'e got the small problems sorted out though.

Hi Gerry, Oh I wish I'd joined before going down. Would've been handy to have an experienced motorhomer on hand! Thanks for the offer...very kind.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi and :welcome: !

... and wow! Wish I was as laid back! :Cool:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Gerry, Oh I wish I'd joined before going down. Would've been handy to have an experienced motorhomer on hand! Thanks for the offer...very kind.

No Problem always easy after its done :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I would be surprised if i didnt know the mh as im a nosey bugger :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: and know most of them in dumfries. Did you buy it private or from dealer as we have 3 in town.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Lainey,
Sorry to hear of your adventures, but if it makes you feel any better I had a similar problem having bought a petrol/lpg mh only to find 12 months later that I had a burned out exhaust valve which resulted in an expensive cylinder head removal.
Now I only tell you this because if they have the head off ask them to fit "heavy duty" valves as lpg apparantly burns hotter than petrol and will eventually burn out your valves.
Since mine has been done it drives and handles beautifully and we are really enjoying our motor homing as I am sure you will too, and whilst at it get the water pump replaced - worth doing as a proportion of your expense it will be quite low.

Norman

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Welcome Lainey...

Sorry to hear about your wee problems....

Lets look at it this way, things can only get better......... (oops maybe wrong phrase, heard that one before...)

Ok the only way is UP......

I'm sure you will soon be living the dream.......

Cheers,

Callum

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi everyone,

To my horror, [HI]unfortunately the cylinder head gasket has gone, alternator AND timing belt :cry: (and yes it passed an MOT in December[/HI]!!) I'm now wondering if anything the guy I bought the van off told me is right!! :Angry: Ach well, will just hope for the best
Lainey

Hi Ltd73, and :welcomefunster:

You mention head gasket etc. and in the same line the MOT. I'm afraid they have no relation to one another.

The MOT is all about the safety of the vehicle and nothing to do with the mechanical condition of the engine with the possible exception of the emissions.

Sounds like a fair bit of bad luck, but with your PMA (pos' mental attitude) that'll be behind you in no time. You'll love the Kon-Tiki in fact you already do by the sound of it.

See you out there.........Griff :thumb:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Welcome

hi there and a warm welcome to MHF:thumb:
regards brian jo and josh

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back