Newbie and puzzled already

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jules8Abroad, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Jules8Abroad

Jules8Abroad Read Only Funster

I'm probably not the first to come here with a question in my first post, but rest assured I will contribute on an ongoing basis and once experience is under my belt, would be more than happy to return the favour(s). Indeed if anyone here wants advice or information on South East Asia, (lots of it) and South America (at least 4 or 5 countries) and even Sri Lanka, then please ask away. I am reasonably knowledgeable in those countries and their cities, from a travelers point of view, just not from a camping van perspective.

Now I'm afraid I have to move on to my predicament. I have bought a LHD Ford Transit Reimo converted Camping van to extend my travels, and to tour Europe, before shipping it to South America for more adventures, unfortunately (for me at least) all of the documentation and the controls, are in German, and I'm wanting to head off to Europe in the next couple of weeks. Today, I received the necessary adapter to plug the external part of the campervan's electrical supply to the mains, and am faced with an array of controls and switches, that at the moment are as daunting as the controls of the Starship Enterprise to me. If there is anyone here that can help explain what each does, and how they should be switched for various requirements, I'd be over the moon to say the least.

I am adding the pics as they were photographed and also 'perspective' adjusted, most are rocker switches, except for the fuse? buttons which just spring in and out, (they seem to have no other position) and perhaps should be left alone. I seem to have adequate charge in both batteries although I am not sure which is which, and have definitely filled up the water tank, although I can not get water to come from the tap. Any and all help and questions are greatly appreciated. The first are the controls above the fridge and below the sink, and the second set are behind the drivers seat (LHD). Controls.jpg IMG_8856.JPG Behind Driver1.jpg Switch 002.jpg

2. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN, can't answer your question but I'm sure someone will be along to help. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

First set

Fridge
    light
    heat
    Reserved 1 & 2

The left bank are fuses.. they probably are very clever but too modern for me.. unless something isn't working don't worry about them

Then you have the pump switch. Lit is on presumably.. If you aren't getting g water at the taps there's a bit more work to do

Next button is a rocker that makes the gauge move to tell you how much fr wasser (fresh water) or abwasser (waste water) is in the tank.

Then a rocker to test the batteries using the same gauge.. clever stuff

Now you have a button labelled fridge or fan.. not entirely sure what that's gonna do..

Now 12v on or off.. and finally a button to switch the load between batteries 1. And 2

• Like Like x 3
  4. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Second ones.. Well Truman is hot water and or heating.. can't make out the labels on the switches but likely the dial is a room thermostat of sorts. Those numbers are likely to be centigrade at a guess..

The other bit is a trip switch like you have at home. Cuts the mains power if there's a leak to earth.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Last one is a relay distribution (so it says) and a battery watcher..

Welcome to fun.. I've only translated.. someone who actually knows what it all does will no doubt be along in a minute..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

It's a similar set up to the old Hymer we had. You need the "pumpe" switch to be lit if you want water out of the taps. If you are not getting water even with the light on you may have something as simple as an air lock or....... something more complex.

7. Jules8Abroad

Wow! You are all so helpful, immediate thanks. I've had water from the tap, but then it stopped, so I filled the tank, but it hasn't returned yet. I left the mains supply to the van on for two hours, in the hope that it was something to do with the pump, of which switch I wasn't sure, but to no avail as yet. I also expect to talk to people on my journeys that will no doubt educate me on which settings are the most efficient. I also think I should get it all checked over before hitting the roads in Europe, soon.

8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Welcome to MHF from us two too.:cheers:
    Can't help with the switches as ours are different. We've got a PVC .
    Oops just seen the avatar. You have too.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  9. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

When you turn the tap on and the "pumpe" light is on can you hear the pump running?

Sometimes you can get rid of an airlock by blowing down the tap or shower hose (take the head off first).

There may be a way of priming the pump if the tank has run dry but I am sure someone will be along soon to help you out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

Hi there and welcome to MHF.Its a fountain of Motorhome knowledge here(y) enjoy your time here .we have been camping ,caravanning and motorhoming for 20yrs now and we still learn something every time we go out:LOL:.
    Brian & Jo

11. Jules8Abroad

When I turn on the Pumpe , there is a noise, not sure if that was the fan, the pumpe or the fridge, I'll try blowing through tomorrow, when it's light again. Thanks.

12. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

You might want to put your query onto another part of the site as well as not all read the "introduce yourself".

Oh, and put "Help" somewhere in the title!!!!!!!

13. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello welcome to fun :welc:

14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi if you get stuck come to the rally in August (even if you don't stop) and we shall try and sort the water out for you. Batt 1 should be the engine battery and 2 the hab battery. Fridge should on run on 12v when the engine is running.

15. Jules8Abroad

Thanks to mjltigger, I think the English version would look like this then? ControlsEng.jpg

16. Momo

Momo Funster

Hi Jules and welcome to the Fun!:welc::party:

Not much the Funsters can't help you with!(y)

17. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Looks right. I'm thinking I'm missing something on the fridge fan button... some odd German vernacular..

There was a post somewhere on here a few weeks ago about airlocked water pumps.. quick search might get it for you.

18. Jules8Abroad

The "Res." still has me a little puzzled, but tomorrow might cure that. Thanks again!

19. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Funster

Welcome from a fellow Bristolian :welc:

Your first motorhome is always a steep learning curve, but in a couple of days everything will be second nature to you :BigGrin:

20. JJ

JJ Funster

May I suggest, with respect, that you suck the open tap with the pump on... not blow.

(You want the water to come out of the tap, not go back into the tank!)

JJ :cool: