Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
Just got a Exsis-t . I have plugged it in at home and left the heating on at 12 degrees setting. Will this be sufficient to stop freezing damage ? Is it best to have it on electric setting or gas? Is this what other Hymer owners do?
Thank you for any replies.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We don't heat our MH at all in the winter unless we are going to be using it. Just drain down all the water and leave the taps open.

Denise

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you want to leave it on and warm 12 deg will be fine to stop anything freezing up, electric is better than gas as it shouldn't run out unless you don't pay your bill:LOL:

The problem with keeping it warm is that the warm air carries more moisture and it will condense on any cold surfaces inside the van so keep an eye out for this, you might notice it on your windscreen and the metal parts around the windows, yes it is better really to drain it all down if you are not using it as apart from saving electric it will save wear and tare on the heating system which I assume is blown air.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there ,yes ours is on the drive and hooked up all the time ,heating is on 14deg so it's warm in there all the time .oh and welcome to MHF(y)
Brian & Jo

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi I just have 120w tubular heater on and don't get any condensation anywhere in motorhome ..it just takes the edge off and stops it getting so cold that everything is frozen . But I also drain the water out and leave taps open. Roy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have an Exsis I only heat when we are using it, warm air holds more moisture, moisture = condensation.
No need to heat a van when left standing, just make sure it is drained down properly and make sure you leave the taps open in the central position.
A lot of people make the mistake of leaving taps open in the cold position (or hot) after draining down and it leaves water in the other side which freezes and breaks the tap.

OP
OP
Fellraven

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
Thanks for the replies. So drain the waste and fresh water tanks. Open taps in mid position. Drain the hot water heater or does it do it automatically? Then if I leave the electric on it will trickle charge the batteries?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks for the replies. So drain the waste and fresh water tanks. Open taps in mid position. Drain the hot water heater or does it do it automatically?
The boiler will dump automatically well temp falls to 3 deg but just as easy to do it when you drain down and it makes sure you get all the water out off the pipes.
Then if I leave the electric on it will trickle charge the batteries?
Yes but it is best not to leave the Elektroblock permanently connected, just leave it on a day or so a week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back