Sep 5, 2011
North West
Funster No
MH
Bessecarr
Exp
New
Hi All
Hubby and myself just bought our new Bessecarr E480. Going for the two hour handover in a week or so. Any advice on key questions we need to ensure we have asked. Also anything we need to make sure we see in use?

Also we have been on a shopping spree of what we think we need. What essentials would you advise?

Finally would be great to hear from anybody else with a Bessacarr E480. How have you found it? Any tips etc?

You seem a helpful lot so I look forward to your thoughts and ideas. Many thanks.
Ange

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi All
Hubby and myself just bought our new Bessecarr E480. Going for the two hour handover in a week or so. Any advice on key questions we need to ensure we have asked. Also anything we need to make sure we see in use?

Also we have been on a shopping spree of what we think we need. What essentials would you advise?

Finally would be great to hear from anybody else with a Bessacarr E480. How have you found it? Any tips etc?

You seem a helpful lot so I look forward to your thoughts and ideas. Many thanks.
Ange

Ange - congratulations on the purchase of your new motorhome and welcome to MHF! You will receive lots of advice and much of it better than I will give but here goes just to start you off.
DON'T GO ON A SHOPPING SPREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will find most if not all you need initially in your own home.

You ask what to see in use when you collect your MH. The answer is everything, be prpeared to spend at least a couple of hours making sure everything in the MH works before you leave, take nothing on trust. you are spending a lot of money. Without being a nuisance, which I am sure you won't be, make the sales team earn their money.

Take every piece of equipment and let them show you how it works and then insist on them observing you repeat the same process and receive the same result and confirm in which booklet you will find the instructions for you to follow later.
Make sure the gas cooker and oven work, the gas fire and the water heater both on gas and on ehu (electric hook up) is gas and ehu lead are not supplied then you will have to buy them.
Don't just settle for them showing you how to switch them on make sure the water heats both by gas an ehu.

Make sure you know how to use and empty your toilet, make sure you know where the drain is for your grey water, and the tap for emptying your water tank, nothing more infuriating than to discover you have kept the grey water and emptied your fresh water.

Make sure the warning light on your casette toilet works, (fill it up with water). Make sure the water lvel guage in your freah water tank works, ask them to fill it for you and watch the guage.

Turn all the lights on, all the bulbs must work.

This will be enough to keep you going for now, but make your bed time reading the manuals for your MH and arrange for a short overnight trip to a camp site within a 5 mile radius as soon as possible, preferably a small ccl site with a few mhs on so you can ask advice if you are stuck and can get home if you have forgotten some vital piece of equipment like a can opener.

Have fun

Norman

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome
dont let them rush the handover, they should show you how everything works and how to work them (take a pen and pad and write down the key/important bits for reference). Other than the basic sleeping equipment, cooking and eating equipment and a couple of lightweight folding outside chairs i wouldnt buy anything else till you have got it home. There are plenty of bargins to be had all year and better to get what you do need rather than what you think you need to make it more enjoyable

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun

As the above dont rush it and if you have time why not phone the dealer and see if you can spend first night in his forecourt then anything you think of you will be able to ask in morning.

As for buying stuff i would start with little and each time you go away make a list of things you need otherwise you will buy loads and never use it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: When we give the motorhome a good clean out we always remove stuff that has never been used:ROFLMAO:. First thing though is a bottle opener and couple of glasses.

Enjoy your new toy

Upvote 0

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Ask for the hand over demo before parting with your cash, that way there is an incentive for them to resolve any issue ASAP. Don't be pushed into parting with your cash with the promise it will be resolved after the event. Whist you hold the cash you are in control. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Could not agree any more with what has already been advised especially as to staying locally or on site with a hook up.

Dont rush into buying accessories, you will need some toilet chemicals though

Peter

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AngelinaBallerina

Free Member
Sep 5, 2011
North West
Funster No
MH
Bessecarr
Exp
New
This is all very helpful. Thanks guys. The company does a 2 hour handover and talked about showing us stuff and leaving us to have a go. However listening to you folk I'd bet they hasn't planned on filling waste water up etc so we will push for full thing. Keep advice coming though I admit we've already bought some stuff. Fleece throws etc to keep the two settees clean and nice lol (mum caravan owners tip).

We're so excited. Unfortunately we hav already booked site fir first weekend (picking it up on the Friday pm) and it isn't 5 mins away. However we researched site and ensured it had easy access to water and a level site with hookup. Deposit down so no getting out of it. Plus excited!

One extra q but please keep answering previous. The MH has a garage which we need for bikes. Do you need a rack fitting inside? I guess we initially invisaged placing them in carefully and then securing them with bungee clips etc, any advice? Can it be done for short journeys?

Upvote 0

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
Some great advice.

When we bought our new van recently, it came with Fiamma ramps, hookup cable, toilet chemicals, and some other bits and pieces (despite us already having them).

When we bought our first van (5 years ago now), we stayed on a local site with hookup, shower / toilet block, accessory shop, and even a café on site. So we knew we could survive.

I'd adopt a suck it and see approach - try the van out for a night or a couple of nights at a time, and write down things you think you need.

Gerald

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Never done it myself (garage not tall enough), but I could imagine that in the stop/start world of driving a couple of bungees would probably not prevent the bikes from moving - when braking for example) and be wary of screwing anything into the bulkheads as they will probably only be thin board over expanded polystyrene type insulation and not very strong. If they can be secured at the front end of the garage it would be better as the most momentum imparted to the bikes is likely to be when braking. Sure you could investigate special racks, but why not wait and see what else you're going to put in the garage before forking out cash for racks. You may ultimately decide to have a fiamma/omnistor bike rack fitted on the back of the MH.
Whatever you decide to do the good idea is take your time and make sure you really need to spend the money. Lots of things that look like really great ideas end up being just that (ideas), with little actual functional value. But above all enjoy your motorhome and the (initially steep) learning curve that you'll be going through for the next several years (even the oldest hand will learn something new).

Have fun.

John

Upvote 0

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Hand Over

Ask if you can video the hand over, you will then be able to refer to it when you need to.:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back