NEWBIE Advice Needed On Electrics

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by jonandebs, Aug 27, 2010.

1. jonandebs

jonandebs Read Only Funster

Hi All

As im new to the whole MH scene i need some advice on electrics. I own a 1990 Swift Kontiki, it has 3 types of power. Own battery, leisure battery and electric hookup. My question is this...... without electric hookup how would i connect say a laptop to my leisure battery? What would i need or who do i need to see? I know this may seem like a pretty basic question but excuse the newbieness!!:Blush:

Thanks in advance

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the fun. The leisure battery is 12v so either you will need a dedicated DC/DC charge lead for your particular laptop, or a small 150W inverter. Plug into either a 12v socket or cigarettee type socket. If you charge from the vehicle battery only do so whilst travelling. Leisure battery will be charged when on hookup. But then when on hookup you can just use you normall 240V charger.

3. jonandebs

jonandebs Read Only Funster

Thanks Wildman

Will be looking out for lighter plugin adapter.:thumb:

4. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

pure sine wave is better as an inverter

While laptops can work from the vans 12v system via a dedicated lead from the computer company or some one like PC World, I would suggest if you are thinking of using the house batteries to run your lap top then you do need an Inverter.. there are two types Pure Sine Wave which irons out the electical wave to something very similar to the house 230 v electrics you use at home or the modified sine wave which is a sort of wavey line power and is not as kind to computers. The pure sine wave costs a lot more. Maplin do a range of elcheapo items as also on ebay. But think if you may want to run a tv or some other mains item.. you need to think bigger than 150 watts.. myself I use 1,500 watt Sterling pure sine wave on my American motorhome, but I do run a lot of pure mains items like large size tv's and mains DVD's (they do not run off 12v) but you will find I am sure something that will fit your pocket and also cover what you want to do.

One bit of advice fit the inverter as near as you can to the house battery as the further away from the battery the larger the cable needed and that is expensive.

Bob:thumb:

5. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Got mine from Maplins. Can be switched to various voltages and has USB socket (Useful for charging mobile phone) Simply plugs into any of the 12v cig. lighter-type sockets around the 'van.

Wyn

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

On the subject of 12v adaptors,

I bought a Trust (that's the make) with a zillion different plugs and an adjustable output voltage ... 15 - 24vdc

will power/charge most lap tops, phones, iPhones, games players etc also has a USB power output ..

This saves carrying a myriad of adaptors , about £40 from most computer shops

7. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

8. scotjimland

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

a DC/DC inverter uses less power than an inverter that is plugged into the same cigarette socket. with regards to size I run a 15" LCD TV and a Sat box from a 150W inverter. and plenty left to run pappy as well if required, but then I don't have both TV and laptop on at the same time, no point.
    As you point out you have a ginormous yank tank and associated 96" TV so would need more power:Rofl1::Rofl1:. For most people a 1500W inverter is just a waste of power. Much bigger quiescent current.

10. ticktok

ticktok Read Only Funster

11. scotjimland