Newbe sugestions for motor home around 15-20 grand

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by littlejon, Apr 27, 2013.

1. littlejon

littlejon Read Only Funster

Hi people hope this is the right forum to ask this question, knowing nothing about motor home I was hoping for a little advice.

My sister is ill and my younger sister needs to drive her to Malaga as she can not fly can anyone give some option on a motor home 4-6-berth with a biggish toilet shower (she has seizures) so a slightly larger wash room would help.

I'm just trying to get some idea's, is there anything to watch out for when buying, what are the most reliable model ect.

If anyone knows some dealers around Heathrow area that would be great, is buying from a dealer a good idea or should I look privately, is there any one reading this that has one for sale.

Sorry for all the questions where in a bit of a hurry to get her down to Malaga.

Any input greatly appreciated.

2. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

If this is for a holiday then I would look at hiring initially to get a feel for Motorhomes. For something more permanent you really need to get inside a few and have a good look around to work out what layout you need. Personally in your situation a dealer may be a better bet, warranties etc. happy hunting :BigGrin:

3. Deckard

Deckard Read Only Funster

Lots of people to help you here....if you've never bought one before you need to proceed with caution - lots of pitfalls and no time to put things right from your post.

I know with your sister being ill, it will put immense pressure on you to "get a move on" ...i know this is easy for me to say, I am not emotionally involved, but rushing could be a disaster for you if you buy a duff van.

Jim has written up a guide to buying a motorhome and @ £7.99 its worth a read to get you set up right to go and look for a deal and MH to suit you.

If i said to you buy a Hymer, there are brill etc, and you get a duff one you'll think me a fool :Doh: So you have to check each van, regardless of brand etc for faults etc. Even the best brands end up getting hacked about by someone :Angry:

Youre budget should be plenty to get you a decent van, there are some very experienced brains to pick here, so take it all in and dont be afraid to keep asking questions :thumb:

As for Dealer vs Private, thats about your own mindset, personally I would go private as you are more likely to get a van "ready to go" ie. the current owner often throws in a lot of stuff you would have to buy, such as tv, reversing cameras, gas bottles and so on.

4. littlejon

Thanks guys very helpful, I think we want one on a permanent basis as she will want to go to all sorts of places.

I will take a look at that guide and get back to you, and yes I suggested my sister go to a dealer to take a look at some to get an idea as to what they won't.

Ok I will be back with many questions, thanks for the fast reply's much appreciated.

5. littlejon

Oh have you got the full link to jims guide.

6. big map

big map Funster Life Member

7. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

You need

1. something quickly
    2. reliable
    3. Genuine
    4. well prepared
    5. not needing any further work

Have a look at Johns Cross as they seem to have the best name of any dealer for looking after customers :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. chaser

chaser Funster

Pretty much find anything you need at that price range, go look at plenty, if they are a bit dearer , HAGGEL , if you know someone who knows a bit about motorhomes have a look at eBay and ask them to go have a look with you, hundreds on there

9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Come down and have a browse round, Andy and his lads will give you plenty of advice freely.

Peter

10. ukbill

ukbill Funster

mainly check for any damp and i think a end bathroom is the largest but on that i aint totally sure

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

12. Terry

Terry Funster

13. chaser

chaser Funster

Do you know, as I said on another thread yesterday, I think you could do a lot worse than buy off a car dealer, it has probably been chopped in against a car not because there is anything wrong with it but because the previous owner had changed circumstances and had to get rid cheaply. And you are more likely to get a better warranty

14. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Try gumtree
    I found 5 on there today local to me

15. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

your biggest problem is the lez zone as you live in london so van has to be later than arouind 2003 youll not get much for 20k thats got a bathroom in it if lez isnt a problem my brother is selling an end bathroom autotrail within your budget w or x reg cant recall exactly