Newbe sugestions for motor home around 15-20 grand (1 Viewer)

littlejon

Free Member
Apr 27, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi people hope this is the right forum to ask this question, knowing nothing about motor home I was hoping for a little advice.

My sister is ill and my younger sister needs to drive her to Malaga as she can not fly can anyone give some option on a motor home 4-6-berth with a biggish toilet shower (she has seizures) so a slightly larger wash room would help.

I'm just trying to get some idea's, is there anything to watch out for when buying, what are the most reliable model ect.

If anyone knows some dealers around Heathrow area that would be great, is buying from a dealer a good idea or should I look privately, is there any one reading this that has one for sale.

Sorry for all the questions where in a bit of a hurry to get her down to Malaga.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If this is for a holiday then I would look at hiring initially to get a feel for Motorhomes. For something more permanent you really need to get inside a few and have a good look around to work out what layout you need. Personally in your situation a dealer may be a better bet, warranties etc. happy hunting ::bigsmile:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Lots of people to help you here....if you've never bought one before you need to proceed with caution - lots of pitfalls and no time to put things right from your post.

I know with your sister being ill, it will put immense pressure on you to "get a move on" ...i know this is easy for me to say, I am not emotionally involved, but rushing could be a disaster for you if you buy a duff van.

Jim has written up a guide to buying a motorhome and @ £7.99 its worth a read to get you set up right to go and look for a deal and MH to suit you.

If i said to you buy a Hymer, there are brill etc, and you get a duff one you'll think me a fool :Doh: So you have to check each van, regardless of brand etc for faults etc. Even the best brands end up getting hacked about by someone :Angry:

Youre budget should be plenty to get you a decent van, there are some very experienced brains to pick here, so take it all in and dont be afraid to keep asking questions :thumb:

As for Dealer vs Private, thats about your own mindset, personally I would go private as you are more likely to get a van "ready to go" ie. the current owner often throws in a lot of stuff you would have to buy, such as tv, reversing cameras, gas bottles and so on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

littlejon

Free Member
Apr 27, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
i'm a newbie
Thanks guys very helpful, I think we want one on a permanent basis as she will want to go to all sorts of places.

I will take a look at that guide and get back to you, and yes I suggested my sister go to a dealer to take a look at some to get an idea as to what they won't.

Ok I will be back with many questions, thanks for the fast reply's much appreciated.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Link Removed

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
You need

1. something quickly
2. reliable
3. Genuine
4. well prepared
5. not needing any further work

Have a look at Johns Cross as they seem to have the best name of any dealer for looking after customers :thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Pretty much find anything you need at that price range, go look at plenty, if they are a bit dearer , HAGGEL , if you know someone who knows a bit about motorhomes have a look at eBay and ask them to go have a look with you, hundreds on there

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You need

1. something quickly
2. reliable
3. Genuine
4. well prepared
5. not needing any further work

Have a look at Johns Cross as they seem to have the best name of any dealer for looking after customers :thumb:

Come down and have a browse round, Andy and his lads will give you plenty of advice freely.

Peter

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
mainly check for any damp and i think a end bathroom is the largest but on that i aint totally sure

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There is an excellent looking mh on an S plate about 7 miles from me on a car dealers forecourt. I do not think he has a clue about it really and currently has it up for £14995

It has sat in pride of place under the forecourt canopy for almost a month now

Link Removed

Here is the page on their web site:

Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb:Have a good look at Snowbirds thread on good starter vans :thumb:It's been running a while now so a lot of the vans will have gone but they are all good starter vans that you could run for a couple of years and sell for what you paid for it or even make (dare I say it ) a profit on ::bigsmile:
terry
Broken Link Removed

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Do you know, as I said on another thread yesterday, I think you could do a lot worse than buy off a car dealer, it has probably been chopped in against a car not because there is anything wrong with it but because the previous owner had changed circumstances and had to get rid cheaply. And you are more likely to get a better warranty

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
your biggest problem is the lez zone as you live in london so van has to be later than arouind 2003 youll not get much for 20k thats got a bathroom in it if lez isnt a problem my brother is selling an end bathroom autotrail within your budget w or x reg cant recall exactly

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back